keep the ply?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by joe34, Sep 21, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. joe34

joe34 Well-Known Member

I've just got myself a new van and just waiting for the paint to arrive so I can waterproof the back I've got to take the ply up .might sound a stupid question but would you put the ply back once it's dried?

Advertisement
  2. Green Pro Clean Ltd

No, I was of the same position, when I took out the ply floor I realized how heavy it was and in a game like ours where we are constantly trying to keep weights down I decided it was best to get rid. Been over a month now and I haven't missed it.

3. Eclipse

Eclipse Well-Known Member

I've kept mine, the whole floor weighs 25kg so no big deal. I'm laying 20kg of fibreglass over the tanked half of mine soon too.

4. joe34

joe34 Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't even think about the weight ..when I got my last van the system was already in it and the guy had painted the bottom but then put the ply back down.I always wondered having that wet ply down against the floor if it speeded up the process of rust as its gone completely rotten underneath.

5. Green Pro Clean Ltd

My ply was sodden and it came out in pieces almost crumbling, and as wet weighed a ton.

The floor underneath was still sound, perhaps cause it's not a Vito :p

6. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Joe, I think you have already answered your own question.

I've seen rotten ply lifted and how rusty the floor is underneath. For me its ply floor out and then painted with Protectakote.

We have some matting over the Protectkote coat under the hose reels to stop the paint from wearing away. What I like about Protectakote is that it has rubber granules in it and they make the floor non slip. I once slipped on a new van floor with wet shoes before it was plylined and feel back out of the van and badly hurt my back when I landed on the rear bumper. I learnt from that as I was in agony for weeks.

7. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Painted over mine. I put two thick towels in the back and dry them at the weekend, works a treat

8. joe34

joe34 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice,my old van was a 15 year old fiat ducato its a shame as the engine was great in it, it never let me down just the body work was gone!just one other thing I was going sand of all the shiney paint in the back is there anything eles what needs to go on before the protectakote?

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

No. We also removed the ply on the sides and painted a inch or so up the side as well. We fitted the ply back on the sides after it had dried. We did the same with the wheel arches.

10. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

if u waterproof the meatl floor then waxoil and protect the undersside u could put the ply back down if u wantged but tbf why would u want to put it back down unless u need to use it for somethin ?? i replacing mine with 3/4 inch ply as i need a good fixing point

Advertisement