Keeping existing customers happy

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by kars, May 29, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. kars

kars Guest

Hi. looking for advice... just bought an established w/c business after working along side previous owner. Been about 5yrs since prices have gone up and i realise i am going to loose a few but some of the prices are crazy ie 11 standard windows and 1 set patio doors bungalow priced at £4.50!!!!! I have one other full time w/c and one part time. we are licensed and insured and will convey this to customers.
    Any advice on upping the prices greatly appriciated thanks:huh:

Advertisement
  2. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Sadly you can't keep them all happy, although as far as i know from others experience. Most customers understand. £4.50 for that though is way to low!

You will always get the odd one that will say fine i will find somewhere else to soon realize that the grass is not greener and come back or settle for a cheap cowboy and have semi clean windows.

I would just explain that you do need to run a business and sadly as inflation goes up so do your prices. Just say something like as they have not gone up in some time i may need to up them by a few £ but after i get prices back in line they will only go up once a year by x amount of something like that.

3. kars

kars Guest

Thanks for that..Think if any custies drop me i will give them the option of coming back. Its going to be a long haul for the first few months me thinks spent the last couple of months with my mouth shut just observing while working away. Really looking forward to all the canvasing tho.... Not!!! lol

4. nearlyclean

Supplier

I would be cautious of putting prices up straight away and all new work quote your new prices then increase the prices as you build up more work and afford to lose to badly priced work

5. If you can afford to run at a loss for a month or so then do so as it is better to have some work, even at those prices, rather than no work at all. By being out there you will pick up new work which will enable you to drop or alter the cheap stuff.
    Also, if you take the time to chat to your existing customers and they like you most will be reasonable.
    Good luck with your new venture:D

6. Windowwhiz

Windowwhiz Guest

I'd explain face to face with the customer that the price has been honoured for a long time now but you need to increase it as insurances and running expenses over the last few years have considerably increased. If when you say 11 windows, you mean 11 windows and not 11 paynes of glass then We'd charge £10 at least for a bungalow that size :0)

7. kars

kars Guest

yeah the ones with two paynes!! she moans about the £4.50!!! lol cant see her staying with me for the next clean? just not prepared to do it for that. was going to explain to her but will just have to judge it next time im face to face with her. all customers will have a flyer stapled with their next ticket for the ones we dont meet at the time advising that we are reviewing the prices in their area. there are lots of daft prices like that on the round though so its going to be hard going. Ah well whatever it takes to turn it around. really like the wording of the prices having been honoured for a long time though. very tactfull. cheers..:dodgy:

8. nearlyclean

Supplier

If she is complaining about price now then tell her nicely that you can't afford to clean her house for less £10 and she should find an alternative cleaner,you don't have to clean her windows the same as she doesn't have to have you clean them,its a free market and we chose the services to fit our budget.

9. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

You could mention that the previous window cleaner, who set the prices 5 years ago decided that it wasn't worth him coming round - which is why you are there.

What I would probably do though, is do tham at the old prices for 3 months, then on the 3rd visit, when they have had a chance to see how good a job you do, and that you are reliable - put the prices up for the next visit, and maybe tell them that you will honour that price for the next 12 months so that they do not think it is the thin end of the wedge.

Dave

10. colin

colin Guest

Canvassing is easy,as long as you are polite,well dressed & smile,main problem is finding the decision maker,get some cards printed & photocopy quotation leaflets.
    I moved to Shropshire over ten years ago and built up a good round by purely canvassing.
    Advertising is good,also try yellow pages & thompson local,Google were also helpful.
    good luck colin
    ps, be positive remember one new customer will add greatly to your income.

Advertisement