Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Keeping your spares

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Incheck

Just a reminder to you fellows that its very worthwhile keeping spares, and stripping bare old knackered equipment for future spare parts. One of our short backpack hoses split this week, (short part with female connector) made a makeshift seal with PTFE tape to get through the day and then replaced it with an old hose when i got home.

yesterday also my angle adaptor came to the end of its time, the internal threaded bolt had worn away at the thread and the hexagon nut had rusted from time served.

it was very convenient i have nuts washers etc in multipacks under van seats.

Simply having these spares saved me a lot of lost time, diesel and money. The metal nuts/bolts/washers assortment packs etc can be bought from lidl or screwfix.

Having a basic tool kit and keeping clutter like PTFE tape, insulation tape, hose pipe fittings etc, very useful. Happy cleaning. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder to you fellows that its very worthwhile keeping spares, and stripping bare old knackered equipment for future spare parts. One of our short backpack hoses split this week, (short part with fenale connector) made a makeshift seal with PTFE tape to get through the day and then replaced it with an old hose when i got home.

yesterday also my angle adaptor came to the end of its time, the internal threaded bolt had worn away at the thread and the hexagon nut had rusted from time served.

it was very convenient i have nuts washers etc in multipacks under van seats.

Simply having these spares saved me a lot of lost time, diesel and money. The metal nuts/bolts/washers assortment packs etc can be bought from lidl or screwfix.

Having a basic tool kit and keeping clutter like PTFE tape, insulation tape, hose pipe fittings etc, very useful. Happy cleaning. 
Absolutely! 

I remember the first time I blew a fuse on my trolley. The time I wasted trying to source a replacement and how annoyed I was that something that cost only a few pence to replace should stop me working. I got plug n play spares for almost every part of my trolley now. The most fiddly part to change is the pump and even that can be done in 12 minutes. I've even got the shell of another trolley in my shed. ??

Agree totally, I've tried to duplicate my set up, two vehicles suitable for work  & business use (one's my wife's but she lets me borrow it if mine's off the road ? ), two backpacks, poles & spares.  Like you guys, minimum disruption if something goes wrong, just buys you time to get stuff sorted & keeps you out on the glass.

When I get a split in the hose and have to cut of rectus fittings I always keep them , I have a toolbox full of spares and the tools to get me sorted on the go sound minimal down time. 

Yep, got spares of everything on my van.

I bought a cabinet with loads of little pull out drawers that are full of spares.

Pub time. Have a great weekend fellow windies ?

I got three of these. A few quid each from Home Bargains. 

Customiseable inside with the plastic spacers. Nothing mixes when plastic lid is locked closed

Very handy for the fiddly little weany bits. 

Little tip to is to print Dymo labels in the individual compartments and store right from day 1 as you check them off the delivery invoice.

So you not just have the sizes but also the exact name of the item to re-order again in future. 

No good Google'ing the thinger'me'bob that slots in the watch'a'ma'call'it

At a glance you can see what you are running low of or what you have ran out of and need to reorder.

Having one of everything spare, that one blown fuse or O ring you dont have could cost you a days work £100+ plus the time chasing round to source it or awaiting its delivery

bits n bobs box 1.jpg

bits n bobs box 2.jpg

I got three of these. A few quid each from Home Bargains. 

Customiseable inside with the plastic spacers. Nothing mixes when plastic lid is locked closed

Very handy for the fiddly little weany bits. 

Little tip to is to print Dymo labels in the individual compartments and store right from day 1 as you check them off the delivery invoice.

So you not just have the sizes but also the exact name of the item to re-order again in future. 

No good Google'ing the thinger'me'bob that slots in the watch'a'ma'call'it

At a glance you can see what you are running low of or what you have ran out of and need to reorder.

Having one of everything spare, that one blown fuse or O ring you dont have could cost you a days work £100+ plus the time chasing round to source it or awaiting its delivery

View attachment 16619

View attachment 16620
Really good idea, what is the total outer dimensions of one box, I think I could do with one of those as mine are just in my toolbox scattered around, I used to have a small toolbox with more compartments but needed a bigger one to accommodate tools so got a Stanley one from B&Q for £10 

Back