Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Iv Lost Them All

WCF

Help Support WCF:

david247

i just dont belive it i went on my round today and iv lost all but three customers.

some body has gone around my areas, "I HAVENT GIVEN THAT INFO OUT" AND UNDER CUT MY HOLE 13 CUSTOMERS

i was doing a three bedroom house for 10 quid 2 twice a month lost that becouse shes getting a cheaper deal of 5.50 :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

and the other customers in down sedgley have gone as well.

why do i bother /emoticons/sad.png

Thats either bad luck or tough luck ???

Wouldnt of fancied being in your shoes lad but saying that i have puck up somd new customers up sedgley way

I also know woodsetton windows clean around there and a 2 man trad set up .

Its very rare for a cleaner to lose %90 of his work to under cutters in one go .

I have had customers come to me and i have actually charged more than the other cleaner.

By as much as %50 .

thats what i did but i think it was the same guy who does that area and i thought that there was following me a citren belingo car blue two guys. it looks like a van but it had seats in it. and ladders on top.

i think i might go canvasing sunday down the same area again

I know who they are mate they are idiots .

They are from darlaston just say to them i wonder if the social know your cleaning windows for a living .

They will soon scarper !

And i know they are both doleys as i know them personally .

I would report them to the police mate. Take a snap on your phone if you can.

I don't know that houses of how big the windows are, but if they are there and charge that amount, and are not going away, then you may have to lower your price a little for that area.

I am a big fan of the hotel inspector, and there was one guy on there, that would stick to his guns with his prices, and basically was told to consider reducing room prices for last minute bookings, rather than have empty rooms. Now I am absolutely the same. I had one guy on last night ask me to knock £1 off his price. He was told we don't negotiate our price like that, thats what it costs, it can't be done cheaper, or it wouldn't be a fair deal for me.

However there are also areas that I work, that I am well aware of other window cleaners, most likely buck shee, that charge pennies. In those areas, we try and keep our prices a little lower, and actively tell new customers, that 'we' are legitimate, we have a website, we are insured, licensed and all our staff have police checks etc etc. and we don't loss work.

There is one area, a guy was charging £3.50 a house, but scratched three customers windows, in the one block. those three came over to us, so we charge £5 and just told them, it would normally be more, but I know those guys are charging allot less, so that is as cheap as I can do it, but we are insured, and will pay for any damages, if the unfortunate happens.

We now do that whole, area, word spread I guess.

I don't know that houses of how big the windows are, but if they are there and charge that amount, and are not going away, then you may have to lower your price a little for that area.

I am a big fan of the hotel inspector, and there was one guy on there, that would stick to his guns with his prices, and basically was told to consider reducing room prices for last minute bookings, rather than have empty rooms. Now I am absolutely the same. I had one guy on last night ask me to knock £1 off his price. He was told we don't negotiate our price like that, thats what it costs, it can't be done cheaper, or it wouldn't be a fair deal for me.

However there are also areas that I work, that I am well aware of other window cleaners, most likely buck shee, that charge pennies. In those areas, we try and keep our prices a little lower, and actively tell new customers, that 'we' are legitimate, we have a website, we are insured, licensed and all our staff have police checks etc etc. and we don't loss work.

There is one area, a guy was charging £3.50 a house, but scratched three customers windows, in the one block. those three came over to us, so we charge £5 and just told them, it would normally be more, but I know those guys are charging allot less, so that is as cheap as I can do it, but we are insured, and will pay for any damages, if the unfortunate happens.

Good stuff /emoticons/smile.png

Ive recently noticed that its not all about price anymore. People are willing to pay extra is there getting a better service I have found.

I agree, shop them to the old bill- that type of thing just isnt on!! We work hard and build up a round for 2 twits on the dole to come round and undercut? No way!

Its stories like this that make me glad to remember the lad I run my business with has been training in MMA at the local fight centre for 12 years /emoticons/tongue.png

I get what the other lads are saying here but 10 customers in 2 different areas, have you checked any of the windows. No offence meant but I know I made a few mistakes when I started (still do thruth be known), check that it's not down to quality before you go dobbing someone in.

My guess is also that if you did it right now they probably wouldn't go far wrong in guessing who it was, tread carefully when doing something like that as it could bring you untold trouble.

Why would you get the police involved? Has a criminal offense been committed? I don't think Tesco's calls police whenever one of "their" customers goes into Sainsburys.

If they are claiming unemployment/sick benefits etc dob 'em to social security.

If they are not working legitimately then yes it is a criminal offence, but hard to prove. However if they are in Scotland, then they should have a licence with the local council. So if you give there details to the council and they are not licence, they can have them taken to court and fined. If they are buck shee, that is allot more attention that they will want.

I also agree with doger there, there could be an element of the customers not being happy with your service. However if they are undercutting him by 40%, I would imagine it is more to do with the price.

I also agree with doger there, there could be an element of the customers not being happy with your service. However if they are undercutting him by 40%, I would imagine it is more to do with the price.
Quite possible Ladder I wasn't discounting it, just in 2 areas I thought may be worth considering as I don't know how close they are.

If they are not working legitimately then yes it is a criminal offence, but hard to prove. However if they are in Scotland, then they should have a licence with the local council. So if you give there details to the council and they are not licence, they can have them taken to court and fined. If they are buck shee, that is allot more attention that they will want.

Define "not working legitimately", bearing in mind they are in west midlands. If they are fronting as window cleaners and casing houses for burglaries or other nefarious deeds then that would be a criminal offense but I see no particular crime here (morally, bang out of order, though)

If a couple of guys have gone to the trouble of getting a van, ladders, kit etc and are canvassing work then they are, potentially, legitimate. I do not agree with undercutting someone else and will walk away if someone has a window cleaner already.

However, £10 down to £5.50 is a big drop, and once a fortnight for a house!? If it's to cheap then they won't last.

When I say 'not working legitimately', and I am taking this from a previous poster who said they heard of them and know they are doleys, I mean, someone claiming benefits while working as a window cleaner. Or someone who is not putting all of their income through their books, and are subsequently able to charge a lot less than someone going through the correct channels, and going by the book.

I get what you are saying though, its complete hearsay and for all we know they could be doing everything proper. As you say, if they can't make it pay, at those prices, they wont be around for long, so time will tell I guess.

i can report them if i get there number plate i was just so mad/ that iv worked i pounded the street in wolves down in Wedensfield nearly all ashmore got not nothing that was at 2 and was ****** of i couldn't talke to no one went to bed at 7 woke up at 12 and i just feel frustrated.

well if its them and if iv invaded there turf then fair does

thanks for your surport.

well if its them and if iv invaded there turf then fair does
Not really man, there's no such thing as 'turf' - there are at least 2 window cleaners that work on the streets around my street, there's plenty of houses out there for everyone! So don't worry about being on someone's patch or turf. Canvass and freely work wherever you choose! BUT -what those guys did, going around where another windy works and undercutting him to take his work is really low. I never do that. I always leave a card, but I just say "if you're ever not happy with the service you recieve, or if he stops coming, or you fancy a change, give me a call" - but I never say "I'll do it cheaper." that's just out of order, and it drives prices down for us all anyway so its pointless..

EDIT - usually I don't do it cheaper anyway! I try and charge more!! /emoticons/tongue.png

Tell you what else mate, don't let them get you down. I can understand how you're rightly piffled off, but don't let them get you down - pick a new area, a new housing estate would be good, someplace with good density and not too poor so people have money to spend on a window cleaner and just go door to door all day tomorrow - If you're lucky and you hit a good area you could pick up 80, 90 or £100 quids worth of work easily - I went out on a dark wednesday eve a few weeks ago and got about £70 of work in about an hour and a half - it is doable - and you don't need to resort to underhand tactics like those jerks. Karma will sort them out. You keep flying high. Good luck mate.

David,

Very sorry to hear this has happened to you. When starting up, especially in these times, it is tough going, and setbacks like this can be very discouraging. However, try to keep positive as you no doubt were when you went out canvassing for the first time.

The so-called customers who have already jumped ship on you would have done so anyway, and therefore are unworthy of your time and further consideration. You still have the remainder who have kept faith with you. It may be a small number but these are likely to be good customers in the long run, so do your best to look after them.

Keep on canvassing, and you will get customers. Be presentable, professional, polite and positive. Add persistence to this formula and you will definitely succeed.

Best wishes,

John

Latest Posts

Back