Ladder safety

Discussion in 'Gutter & Fascia Cleaning' started by Taxlossloz, Jan 27, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

did some gutters yesterday as rained all day plus wind and the Ankalad paid for itself again
    ( plus levellers )
    But ... Can anyone recommend a harness or tie to ladder while at top
    I also am cleaning more roof tiles so i can then use two arms properly if strapped on

Advertisement
  2. Green Pro Clean Ltd

I believe H & S say you are supposed to maintain 3 points of contact at all times.

Also the suggested practice is to attempt to 'jump' away from the ladder in case of a slip or a fall. Bit hard to do if you are clipped in.

3. Green Pro Clean Ltd

I am to be graced with my daughters presence for the weekend (a rare treat when they are 20) but I will swat up on all H&S guidelines next week and perhaps ask Gav if we could have a H&S room for those members interested in the FREE exchange of H&S information and ideas.

4. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

hhmm I suppose if ladder goes you need to jump then yes maybe strapped to is not best option

5. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

Nice one Kojak

6. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Who loves ya baby! :))

7. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I don't often agree with hse bods but 3 points of contact is preferable
    As an experienced climber i would agree with them
    Even when halfway up a face and taking both hands off to get some blood back into your arms i would be leaning so my chest was touching the rock so i still had 3 points of contact
    But we have all been guilty of being up a ladder with no hands on it while squeegeeing and detailing etc
    Not clever though really

8. TolishAPurd

Even with the ankalad in use I would not trust the ladder to stay put if I fell, therefor if I was attached to it, I could see it doing more harm than good as it takes away your option to bail out. There was a study done on drivers once with regards to wearing seatbelts. They found that the ones that didnt wear seatbelts drove slightly slower and took less risks. I think the same could apply here. It depends how you work, and how your mind works I suppose. Personally I want to be a bit fearfull by not having a safety harness, and knowing that the only thing thats going to stop me is me, or the ground. Three points of contact is a must, and if ever you go to 2- lean into the ladder, and only for a few seconds.

Thats not official advice, thats just how I work.

9. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i would be surprised if its possible to jump away from a moving ladder . the time from when a ladder starts moving to when you hit the ground is about 2 seconds from my own experience .

10. TolishAPurd

You're probably right mate, but every fall is different. You might just get a chance to puss off somthing to stop you hitting the railings below, but if you are tethered at the top, then you will go wherever the ladder takes you.

Advertisement