Ladder size

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by mrtaytay, Nov 2, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Hiya Folks

I have recently started my own round and invested in a ***an 3.5m trade ladder (it extends to 6.1m). Whilst the ladder is great, I find that I have hardly (if at all) had to use its maximum height. Its length seems to make it particualarly awkward and cumbersome in tight situations such as narrow alleyways. I am thinking of purchasing a 2.5m ***an trade ladder (it extends to 4.1m). Does anyone else feel the same about the longer ladders and do you think I would get away with the smaller one (in most situations)?. Just dont want to waste my money on the smaller one if it would be of no use.
    Cheers

Advertisement
  2. Masons

Masons Guru

Without looking I reckon the ladders I carry regularly are around 4m
    like these: http://www.wickes.co.uk/professional-2-section-extension-ladder/invt/170019/
    Yet I do so because of the work I do, it depends what YOU need to a large degree.

I also have a 8m professional set, which I hardly use at all, and never need fully extended.

3. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I think I will buy the shorter ladder. I can keep both on top of the car and then the taller ladder can be called upon when needed. I suspect the shorter ladder will be fine for 90% of my jobs and will be far less bother in tight areas.

4. You need a ladder around 5.5 metres any less is to small for a lot of houses any more and it will be awkward and catch on wires etc.
    4.1 metres extended is too small!!

5. kris122

kris122 Guest

Like mrtaytay I am having a little problem with ladders. I unfortunately have bought a telescopic ladder which is very nice, but quickly realised I have not done enough research as it is not up to the job. I am looking to do mainly 2 story houses and would like to extend the service to conservatories. Does anyone have a link to the best ladder available for the job. Thanks in advance. I will be cleaning trad style.

6. uribra

uribra Our new service cleaning shops window...

Hi kris
    I think the best way to clean windows which are to high for ladder is by abseiling ...check out my site on http://www.windows-cleaning-abseiling.com

7. kris122

kris122 Guest

Looks like fun but a bit extreme for 2 story houses and conservatories. ;)

8. you will get a 5.5 metre double extention TRADE ladder for under £100 on ebay no bother

9. kris122

kris122 Guest

Thanks. Having a look now.

10. victorcookie

victorcookie Guest

Yes, I reccomend the small ladder with 10 years of experience I could give you the best advice
    [/color]

Advertisement