Ladder sizing

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by ricoclay, Aug 4, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. ricoclay

ricoclay Guest

I am starting up business in South Hampshire, which I intend to be a traditional bucket and squeegee affair and was wondering if anybody can tell me whether a 3 section 4.75m ladder would be sufficient. I am using an estate car and would prefer to keep the ladder inside the vehicle. This ladder would fit perfectly in the back.

Many thanks

Advertisement
  2. You will struggle with a ladder that size, ideally you need a ladder aroung 5.5-6 metres you will pick a trade box section ladder on ebay for under £100 for the double extention, not sure about triple extention. bite the bullet and buy a roof rack as you will very quickly get pissed of taking out/putting away your ladder in your car.

Col :)

3. A.K WINDOWS

i got some of ebay doubles 5.25m open size perfect for me upto now got them for £80 next day delivery as above roof rack is better and 3 section ladders will be a pain in the ass i tried this to heavy and awkward.

save space in yer car for your water;)

4. nearlyclean

Supplier

Putting ladders inside your car is the quickest way to wreck it,better off getting a roof rack and People will spot you as a window cleaner 5.5 M Ladder is a good size.

5. kars

kars Guest

Totally agree. we have a large estate car and use every spare space for the rest of our gear anyway.

6. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Put ladders inside my van once - cost me a new windscreen.

7. MathewL

MathewL Guest

Yeah i agree with you. The ladder size must be minimum 6 meters and
    your squeege is best if you want to start your business.

8. white-light

white-light Guest

i agree with the others a two piece 6m ladder is perfect for 95% of normal houses built since the 1940,s , i still have mine in perfect condition and to me is perfect in that it is wooden sided and ally rungs a bit heavy i guess but it never let me down.

9. whostolemyhair

Well I'm going to add the contradictory reply (08.
    I have used double 13 ft ladders for 25 years and found them the perfect size. They go just below/ on the sill on the vast majority of houses which enables me to use a single section only a lot. I would find 6m ladders impossible to use as they would probably rest at the top of the glass or above the window, far too big...unless of course they are 'A' shape top section and go at the side. 4.5m max for me, perfect all round ladders.
    Sorry to be contradictory but someone's gotta do it!

10. rjacandwc

rjacandwc Well-Known Member

I use 4.7 Abru Trade Triple extension ladders and have no problems with all my houses. Although, I operate my round on foot as I do not drive. I find these ladders compact and easy to carry as they are light. Sorry for not really having an answer to your post. I think it's all about what you feel confident and comfortable with....

Advertisement