Ladder spikes, safety feet ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by slippy, May 31, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

Took off the safety feet and put on spikes. The guy from the shop who sold them said they were the best thing on grass, but window cleaners used them on concrete and they weren't good on that/dangerous even. I felt the safety feet would slip on grass so went for this option as am on grass a lot. Best decision? He did say the safety feet were better on concrete as they had more surface area to stick.

Are the spikes in the right position. They would line up with pre-drilled holes. Do people swivel them around when moving to concrete? spikes2.jpg spikes.jpg ladder safety feet.jpg There's a lot of spike under the bottom to stick in concrete, so I don't know how people can do that.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i have my spikes on all year round,permanently fixed. they DO grip on concrete and very well too,catching in the tiniest crevice . i can tell you spikes also grip well on ice and snow spike 001.JPG

mine are fitted only just past the feet

3. Robster

Robster Member

You need to wash that van .......... just sayin

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. SkulBlaker

SkulBlaker Well-Known Member

5. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

#5 slippy, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    It would seem mine are facing the other way to yours. I mean the flat side of the spike. The side of the ladder your spikes are on is it the side closest to the floor(when in use)? Just want to check I put mine on right side.

I followed the leaflet's advice I think. Also, the company told me to have them sticking 3 inches out the bottom. Is it worth having them like yours and much closer to the bottom?

6. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i fitted mine after reading various posts/seeing diffrent images posted by more experienced windies. the benefit of having them set near to the feet is they dig in only a little way. on tarmac you dont want them digging in deep on a hot day.

mine are fitted so theyre on the side that faces the wall.

7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#7 boarcity, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
    $_57.JPG i see these are for sale on ebay right now . this gives you an idea of how much the spikes are below the ladder,not much s-l225.jpg

8. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

spikes are the best way
    Great on concrete
    As said they can ruin Tarmac tho so keep a rubber mat in van for hot days
    Adjustable feet are good for levelling on hills
    Hope you Don't slip slippy
    Only time my spikes ever went was when they were proper worn down after years so they had rounded off ( lost the spike )

9. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

ok will move them back, just have half an inch sticking out. shall I turn them round like yours as well? If you look at my top photo you can see they are the opposite way round.

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#10 boarcity, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
    personally i think id just cut the tips down a bit leaving an inch or so sticking out and file it to a slightly blunt point .you want a good edge but not razor sharp else itll mark
    then you wont be needing to drill any more holes. i also would bolt them on using Both the holes .AND GLUE THE BOLTS SO THEY NEVER WORK LOOSE
    you will find in use the spikes wont mark the ground much if at all.the grip is improved over the original feet many times over

if i ever come across a surface that might get marked such as carpet inside someones home well i just lay down a folded rag below the spike.

i really like spikes i cant tell u the amount of times theyve proved useful. back in 2010 it was a bad winter and i worked on snowey days the spikes dug in thru the ice . they also catch well in the grooves on wooden decking

Advertisement