ladder spikes!

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by mufcglen, Nov 27, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mufcglen

mufcglen Well-Known Member

was on a clean today and got chatting to anouther windie who took a look at my ladders and said i best get something for the base in case they slip as the h&s guy will have me for not having anything other than the ladder rubbers, then he shown me some ladder spikes that basically are two pointed strips bolted to each side and the ladders stand on them, he said theyre great on things like decking and digs in on floor good wothout leaving too much of a mark.
    anyone heard of these as i cant find any for sale anywhere?

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

www.theladderman.co.uk sell them. ladder spikes are absolutely essential for day to day ladderwork in my opinion.

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

#3 Smurf, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  4. boarcity

boarcity Guest

mine have been on permanent last 3years, actually ever since i had a ladder slip out on on me at which point i bought spikes . they grip very well on hard surfaces , catching on even the smallest lip

every now n then i sharpen the spike edge with a file

5. dasslr1

dasslr1 94 to go

iv seen them being used before wasn't sure how safe they were ,might look into getting some

6. boarcity

boarcity Guest

the only surface they wont grip on is a quarry tiled path because the gap between the tiles is too small for spike to get a hold in . in winter spikes dig in thru snow /ice very well ,excellent grip -times like that when i wouldnt dream of using a rubber/plastic ladder foot.

7. mufcglen

well after typing this question i actually fell off the ladders today!!!!
    was on some bone dry decking not slippy and as i kept moving the ladders to each window,there was one window rght at the side of the house and i didnt check the decking but ladders felt solid, i just presumed it was dry like rest of deck but it was wet and slippy!
    got to the window ledge before the ladders went down just the guy on the compo advert drilling the wall every day lol
    felt a right tit,was lucky though it wasnt that high.
    after i did the job i went straight to the window cleaning shop and the guy said he wont sell spike as theyre not health and safety being sharp spikes and said theyre not very good but this windie i spoke to yesterday been doing it for 16 yrs and swears by them saying you can put them on any surface pretty much.
    i ended up buying these little alu things called footee by laddermat, they dig in the grass and on decking they go between the boards and look pretty sturdy so gonna give these a go but thats the last time i risk it on decking that i should have known better on!
    oh think the guy said the spikes are made by a company called moxon or something like that

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Glad to hear that you are ok cheshire window cleaning after your ladder fall.

Just goes to show how easy it is to take a tumble that's why after a scare or two myself I use an ankalad stabaliser now.

9. Posh

Posh Hero

What you just bought I've had for a couple of years now & swear by them on decking. You can also use em when the decking is laid the other way (longways). Good on the grass to & leave no marks. Have used em loads of times on wet decking & so far so good.

10. mufcglen

cheers guys,knees a little sore lol
    which way round do they go to fit in the decking running the other way?

Advertisement