Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladders & squeegees, why i believe there is still a place for them

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Before this turns into another age old battle between trad & water fed, i’d like to point out that both methods have their positive & negative aspects, i use both methods and favour not one more than the other.
For first cleans, especially domestic including UPVC frames etc, i believe that water fed is vital. In combination TFR or not, the brush bristles reach nooks, crannies that simply cant be got at by hand, & also for removing loose dirt it is simply quicker and more effective. There aren’t many cons to this method of window cleaning, if you use hot water it is even easier to remove encrusted on bee pollen, poo etc etc. (I dont have a hot system)
However, when cleaning upstairs pvc sills, TFR is very good on a first clean for removing green grime and algae. But, can you rely on it 100% when you cant see what youre cleaning? I would say no. Many a time have i got the ladder out to touch up an upstairs window sill, even after UBIK. Also, how are you going to magic sponge greys off an upstairs sill as a ladderless window cleaner? I am fortunate enough to work as part of a pair, so i always have someone to foot the ladder if necessary. I completely understand why many lone window cleaners wont use them. The ladder is also handy when it comes to removing glues, silicones, egg, paint blobs etc from upstairs windows, especially if at the bottom near the seals,. You simply can not get a good angle with a scraper off a trad pole in these situations, it needs to be removed by hand with a scraper or otherwise. When it comes to removing paint, i find it far easier to remove by using an applicator to soap the window, it gives it more slip for the glass scraper because there is no surfactant in purified water to give slip. Especially handy if working on hydrophobic glass. Im sure weve all tried removing paint using wfp on hydrophobic glass, constantly having to wet the window only for the majority of the water to bounce back off. Its annoying no?
Also, trad at ground level. very handy for shops e.g hair dressers where they want the inside & outside done, and no excess water for customers to step in as they walk in and out of the shop. Also no trailing hoses (a big safety plus) and if youve got a garden full of plant pots, rose bushes, tight enclosures etc, trad is simply easier. The downside is that the windows get dirtier quicker as the surfactant left on the glass attracts pollution in the air to stick to it. But hey ho, a sacrifice for practicality. Also, the finish on the glass is instant, whereas with purified water the finish is reliant on the window to dry (not a big deal at all) but if you miss something wfp, tiny things like encrusted pollen etc, you may not see it due to water being present on the glass as you leave. With trad there is also the plus that if you leave streaks, you see them instantly. Trad is more practical for front doors especially “under shelter” porch areas on the old victorian terraces. And if the door isnt air tight at the bottom or has old wooden frames that you wouldnt want to touch with a wfp. Also there is very little if any water left on the floor, in winter there is no excess water left to “freeze” over. Before i started any trad work i regularly took a day off when it was too cold and i knew the water would freeze. I dont want any of our customers or members of the public slipping due to my excess water freezing. There are many out there who take some real risks regarding this subject. I charge high for first cleans and do whatever it takes to “get the job done” regardless of method. I dont want anyone to think this is a mandate for “how to clean” but more to provide insight if it can be of use to anybody, before you think of abandoning your ladders and squeegees.
I am still relatively new to this and only been going for four years. Im constantly learning but want to provide the best results using the most appropriate methods for various tasks.
Sorry if it’s been long winded! Hope its a good read for somebody

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
wow i need a sleep now

I've got a few flats where I wfp the fronts but trad the backs as they are inside security doors and up on landings. Tried wfp on them but took longer and was a right faff, so makes sense to trad them. I don't take on ladder work anymore as I'm not a young man and I've recently even taken the ladder off my vehicle now to stop me being tempted.
I don't take on ladder work went up them for 18 years no need for them if there are windows on flat roofs I don't do them.

I use wfp for all my work and I don't climb ladders at all but I need the squeegee for the odd inside kitchen window I clean for the occasional old dear who asks me.

I will be using trad for some ground floor work over the next 2 months though as workmen are digging up old gas pipes on large parts of my round and it's impossible to park my van near my jobs!absolute nightmare!but I have a backpack so using that(on a foldaway trolley with 20m pole hose)and to save water I'll trad the ground floor windows.not ideal but it'll get the job done until the workmen finish.

They are digging up all the pavements and over 100 driveways on one estate I clean!🙄

I use wfp for all my work and I don't climb ladders at all but I need the squeegee for the odd inside kitchen window I clean for the occasional old dear who asks me.

I will be using trad for some ground floor work over the next 2 months though as workmen are digging up old gas pipes on large parts of my round and it's impossible to park my van near my jobs!absolute nightmare!but I have a backpack so using that(on a foldaway trolley with 20m pole hose)and to save water I'll trad the ground floor windows.not ideal but it'll get the job done until the workmen finish.

They are digging up all the pavements and over 100 driveways on one estate I clean!🙄
@dazmond it's everywhere mate. They do so much digging I'm surprised we haven't been named as an archaeological site 🙄

@dazmond it's everywhere mate. They do so much digging I'm surprised we haven't been named as an archaeological site 🙄
Been on ladders for 40 years. Used to fly up them and then feet either side and slide down them. Had two falls - broken arm first one, broken collarbone second one. They were both over 20 years ago when I was young and hung ho. Never had a hint of a fall since until about a month or so ago. Coming off a balcony and ladders slipped. Caught on the pointing in the paving and stopped from sliding so I didn’t go down luckily. Really shook me up so decided that’s it and the ladders have now gone.
No need whatsoever for ladders cleaning windows these days.
It only takes one slip and you could be off work for months. And at my age it probably would be months.
And I thought I was as safe and confident as you could possibly be but it just shows one momentary lapse is all it takes.
Just my opinion but something to think about

Been on ladders for 40 years. Used to fly up them and then feet either side and slide down them. Had two falls - broken arm first one, broken collarbone second one. They were both over 20 years ago when I was young and hung ho. Never had a hint of a fall since until about a month or so ago. Coming off a balcony and ladders slipped. Caught on the pointing in the paving and stopped from sliding so I didn’t go down luckily. Really shook me up so decided that’s it and the ladders have now gone.
It only takes one slip and you could be off work for months. And at my age it probably would be months.
And I thought I was as safe and confident as you could possibly be but it just shows one momentary lapse is all it takes.
@PC I was only referring to the digging up of the roads. I do both traditional and water fed. I like both. I did used to work off a ladder but not much any more - usually only if I'm checking gutters. I had a little fall from a ladder a few years ago - I was only about 3 or 4 rungs up and slipped. I nearly hit my head on a rockery in a customer's garden, so from then on I only did Squeegee work that I could reach by hand.

Whenever I post on fb looking for work you can guarantee half a dozen ask for trad due to bad experience with the pole.

Personally I'm scared of heights so it's a non starter but for any one who wants to build a trad business there's a massive call for it. As more and more guys come into wfp cleaning and make a mess of it the more work they create for trad cleaners.

I still do half my run with a ladder, I don't run up and down them though and highest I'm going is around 9 rungs up. If it's been wet, the part I do with the ladder I use wfp doing the glass only, since it's not usually done wfp it would take ages to do all the frames too. It takes longer than usually doing it with the ladder but I won't chance it as some surfaces can be slippy without you noticing it.

I still do half my run with a ladder, I don't run up and down them though and highest I'm going is around 9 rungs up. If it's been wet, the part I do with the ladder I use wfp doing the glass only, since it's not usually done wfp it would take ages to do all the frames too. It takes longer than usually doing it with the ladder but I won't chance it as some surfaces can be slippy without you noticing it.
I think your crazy....

How old are you?I'm 52 now and don't use ladders AT ALL for any window cleaning these days.i only use them for opening the odd locked gate.

How would you feel if you fell off and badly injured yourself knowing you could of cleaned the windows from the safety of the ground?

Don't think it can't happen to you I know loads of window cleaners who eventually fell off and injured themselves,some of them very badly.BTW I was trad for 17 years and had 2 falls but I was lucky and a hell of a lot younger

I think your crazy....

How old are you?I'm 52 now and don't use ladders AT ALL for any window cleaning these days.i only use them for opening the odd locked gate.

How would you feel if you fell off and badly injured yourself knowing you could of cleaned the windows from the safety of the ground?

Don't think it can't happen to you I know loads of window cleaners who eventually fell off and injured themselves,some of them very badly.BTW I was trad for 17 years and had 2 falls but I was lucky and a hell of a lot younger

Ofcourse it could happen to me, although I don't do anything daft on ladders I could come off. Even 9 rungs up if you landed the wrong way, could still be a sore one. I'm 39, so around 20 years up a ladder. The people who I used to see running up and down them thinking there superman all have knee problems now.

It mixes it up a bit aswell tbh. The jobs repetitive daily so if anything it gives it some sort of change.

The part that's done with ladder is all the easy work, windows aren't high and there done quick. Although I go up ladders, my comfort zone on them ends around 12 rungs up then I start acting as if I'm at the top of Blackpool tower. Everything I do turns to slow motion.

Back