Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How long to build a round ?

@Iron Giant i pretty much went on the sick for a few weeks,chapped doors and figured 'right Chris you got this'. Handed in notice while on sick and off I went.
Probably over 6 weeks I was then on my own. It's very scary hunty when you are used to having the buffer of being a member of staff but you will soon figure out how easy or hard is is to build local to yourself.

Sorry Chris33 I thought you had took a while longer to make the leap , My memory isn't to good at all

As already mentioned it just depends on how hungry you are to make it work.

If you had capital to invest it could be achieved in as little as 3-4 weeks with a paid canvasser. With this method you need some decent speed and to be good at cleaning windows.

There is absolutely loads you can do before setting up and handing in your notice. Me personally I would have started doing all of that 6 months ago if I knew I was leaving a job. I did similar but I could have done a lot more to make it an easier transition from employed to self employed.

Last edited by a moderator:
As already mentioned it just depends on how hungry you are to make it work.
If you had capital to invest it could be achieved in as little as 3-4 weeks with a paid canvasser. With this method you need some decent speed and to be good at cleaning windows.

There is absolutely loads you can do before setting up and handing in your notice. Me personally I would have started doing all of that 6 months ago if I knew I was leaving a job. I did similar but I could have done a lot more to make it an easier transition from employed to self employed.
Thanks for the advice .... i have had to wait and play a long game for redundancy ... on the positive i do have capital now ... hence holding out for the redundancy .... i cant leave my employment until May so hence the trying to get a head start on marketing etc.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Sounds like you've had most advice already, if I could add anything it would be try to re-invest as much as you can back into the business... this is the only way you'll grow in a game where money buys you work! Wether it be buying actual rounds, paying for canvassers, buying better equipment, buy extra equipment so you can offer extra services... etc good luck [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Good advice above..this is something you come to realise down the line a bit so handy for ya to know from the get go.

@Iron Giant i pretty much went on the sick for a few weeks,chapped doors and figured 'right Chris you got this'. Handed in notice while on sick and off I went.
Probably over 6 weeks I was then on my own. It's very scary hunty when you are used to having the buffer of being a member of staff but you will soon figure out how easy or hard is is to build local to yourself.
I was a driver when I bought a small round, and went on the sick with a "bad back"

All went well and was starting to build the round up while receiving Sick Pay.

Then the Transport Manager saw me rubbing glass at the Shepherd's Boy pub.

And yes, I was respectfully advised to tender my resignation.

Best thing I did.....Still makes me chuckle[emoji16]

I was a driver when I bought a small round, and went on the sick with a "bad back"All went well and was starting to build the round up while receiving Sick Pay.

Then the Transport Manager saw me rubbing glass at the Shepherd's Boy pub.

And yes, I was respectfully advised to tender my resignation.

Best thing I did.....Still makes me chuckle[emoji16]
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] cant fault you dmw ... im locked into a contract or i would be doing the same as we speak [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Good advice above..this is something you come to realise down the line a bit so handy for ya to know from the get go.
Yeah the advice has been really good ... just wish i wasnt on contract until end of May [emoji23] ... working long hours at the minute so its not like i can do part time to start. Thinking of getting a part time job while i start out though ... checked out all the local free newspaper type magazine ... and sourced a leaflet delivery company too, thinking about 20,000 leaflets and also the free papers that go to another 50,000 houses. Plus facebook and website [emoji41]

Yeah the advice has been really good ... just wish i wasnt on contract until end of May [emoji23] ... working long hours at the minute so its not like i can do part time to start. Thinking of getting a part time job while i start out though ... checked out all the local free newspaper type magazine ... and sourced a leaflet delivery company too, thinking about 20,000 leaflets and also the free papers that go to another 50,000 houses. Plus facebook and website [emoji41]

If you can canvass do that instead. Leaflets and fb work bit are really slow in comparison.

I've never really canvassed as I hate it but wish I was more confident at it as it's the best way to build fast by a mile. Nothing beats the compact work you can get through knocking doors. But it'd not for everyone.

you may get bits of work here and there, window cleaners are appearing everywhere, most have canvassed the same areas you will, you have to OFFER something different, be it harm, charisma or reduced prices to see what bites. we have all canvassed all night or day and got around 4-5 wannabies. If you are lucky you can buy an established round, all ready to work on. advertise for work in areas you want, put the felers out there.

have you googled window cleaners in tour town.

see what they offer.

I said could be years, i say this because we are always taking new customers on. be it neighbours of your customers on phone alls, or internet quierys. You are always building your round up.

My round is so patchy at the moment, I'll be manic one week and dead the next. It's a not so gentle reminder of weeks i was too lazy to go canvassing. The safety net I'd saved from my last job will soon have been eaten up so I'm waving goodbye to evenings in for a while. Luckily the work seems to be there if you can stand knocking on the 31st door of the night lol

My round is so patchy at the moment, I'll be manic one week and dead the next. It's a not so gentle reminder of weeks i was too lazy to go canvassing. The safety net I'd saved from my last job will soon have been eaten up so I'm waving goodbye to evenings in for a while. Luckily the work seems to be there if you can stand knocking on the 31st door of the night lol

Mines a bit like that. Last week I was flat out, this week I've been steady finishing at 1pm or so most days.

Best to enjoy it whilst you can. Being flat out every week sounds appealing but it's also physically draining.

when quoting I'll always say "I also clean gutters/Conny roofs/insides depending on what looks grubby. Half the time I'll get an add on which gets done on 1st clean, in those cases I don't add a first clean premium. A lot if Windy's here don't tend to do them

when quoting I'll always say "I also clean gutters/Conny roofs/insides depending on what looks grubby. Half the time I'll get an add on which gets done on 1st clean, in those cases I don't add a first clean premium. A lot if Windy's here don't tend to do them

Back