Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Large gutter clearing job on a 3 story block of flats

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

Hi guys,

Been offered some work from a family member who does property maintenance. He looks after a huge, 3 story apartment complex. He has bought a Skyvac Industrial 85 for the job (and others) that I'll be using.

I know it's a bit vague, but I'm desperate to know what to charge for the job. Do you guys have any similar jobs and if so, what do you charge?

I can provide videos of the job for a more accurate quote if anyone's willing to take a look.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Been offered some work from a family member who does property maintenance. He looks after a huge, 3 story apartment complex. He has bought a Skyvac Industrial 85 for the job (and others) that I'll be using.

I know it's a bit vague, but I'm desperate to know what to charge for the job. Do you guys have any similar jobs and if so, what do you charge?

I can provide videos of the job for a more accurate quote if anyone's willing to take a look.

Thanks guys
If the gutter or channel is twice the width of standard household 68mm floplast charge double per metre for example

I think that it's pretty standard guttering, around 300m all told. Think I'm going to charge £4 per sq metre and a further 20% on top for 3 storey.

Hi guys,

Thanks guys
Ime happy to take a look and try and help also @Part Timer is very experienced in gutter vac work and could offer good advice in time and price

I think that it's pretty standard guttering, around 300m all told. Think I'm going to charge £4 per sq metre and a further 20% on top for 3 storey.
Price per meter doesn’t always work well on this type of property if it’s industrial guttering 12 inches deep and full to the top you will shoot yourself in the foot , if it’s light dirt in a house type gutter then that’s a different matter but again depends what’s in it and overhang from tiles , can you get the vac end tool in there ? , is it turfs. that are growing under tiles ? This will take a lot longer . If you have a camera put it up and take a look see what you are up against .

Hi guys,

Thanks guys
If you have a blockage at the top of the downpipe at the offset bends (if it has them), how are you going to unblock those at 3 stories?

If you have never used a gutter vac before, breaking in your experience with one at 3 stories is going to be challenging. I find using a gutter vac on my own on ordinary house level gutters tiring after a time.

We get the ladders out, perfectly fine if only a short period of time.
We do as well, but on an average house. I won't touch a 3 story job as I don't have the skills or the equipment to reach those heights. I mention this as my impressions are that @JohnDoeWindows has no experience in this field. My comment isn't meant as being disrespectful to the o/p. I'm just trying to put myself into his situation.

We do as well, but on an average house. I won't touch a 3 story job as I don't have the skills or the equipment to reach those heights. I mention this as my impressions are that @JohnDoeWindows has no experience in this field. My comment isn't meant as being disrespectful to the o/p. I'm just trying to put myself into his situation.
Sometimes the actuallities of the job aren't as bad as they appear. If you're prepared, and capable, of climbing ladders then the job isn't that hard.

Thanks for the replies guys, I've put in for the job at £1400 and will just see how it goes. I'm going to allow two days for it and potentially will book a hotel overnight, I understand its going to be a tough job to get to grips with but I've spoken to a few local guys who said they'll give me a hand if I come unstuck, so here's hoping...

Thanks for the replies guys, I've put in for the job at £1400 and will just see how it goes. I'm going to allow two days for it and potentially will book a hotel overnight, I understand its going to be a tough job to get to grips with but I've spoken to a few local guys who said they'll give me a hand if I come unstuck, so here's hoping...
Good luck but £1400 for a Labour only contract seems very ambitious, in my experience. Unless all 300m's are overflowing can't see how it would take you a day.
We did a very bad 1st clean, where quite a few downpipes were blocked, soak aways, so had to disassemble and put back together. Don't recall the exact meterage but 3000+ comes to mind and it took us 3 solid days, we now do it in a comfortable 2.

No doubt, I agree with you @Part Timer but these are unique circumstances. I've been asked to do the job through a relative who runs a property maintenance company. He bought the equipment with the intention of doing the job himself, but doesn't have the time so asked me to do it - he isn't directly paying for it, the client is. The person supplying me the equipment isn't paying the bill and he wants the job done to satisfy his client ?

No doubt, I agree with you @Part Timer but these are unique circumstances. I've been asked to do the job through a relative who runs a property maintenance company. He bought the equipment with the intention of doing the job himself, but doesn't have the time so asked me to do it - he isn't directly paying for it, the client is. The person supplying me the equipment isn't paying the bill and he wants the job done to satisfy his client ?
Surely he has to get at least 2 quotes, I do a lot of work with PM Companies, some want 3 if the value of the contract is over a certain amount.
Good luck and let us know how you get on. If you're struggling, on a dodgy section, give me a shout and I might be able to advise.
Currently just outside Oxford after a 3 day trip, from Norwich to Salisbury, doing gutters for 2 PM companies

No idea how it works to be honest with you mate, you could be right. As far as the client is concerned, it's my equipment anyway. Thanks for that, hopefully there will be no flapping ? fingers crossed everything runs smoothly.

Back