Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lamens question

M

Musntgrumble

Hi Guys need your help please?

Decided to go WFP alongside my trad round as I build my new business, but new to ro systems so trying to working it out as I go along, I follow these groups but part of the silent majority,  so please excuse the lamens question, but it doesn't mention this valve anywhere in the instruction manual??

Should the blue valve pictured be in the off or flow position when ro system is in use?

and what is it for ,

Thank you in advance for your help 

Nigey :)

RO.JPG

You want it closed. It restricts the flow and increases the operating pressure of the system. The first few minutes I use the It I have it open to flush the RO and then close it. You'll have a pressure gauge on it and be able to add once it's installed the increase/decrease in pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Yeah it is the waste Clitsy thank you for your help appreciate it ...a learning curve  :1f609:

if its your waste then DONT fully close it!!! Itll trash the membrane. You need to close it slowly until your running a 1:1 pure waste ratio. Open it to flush it for a few mins every time.

What r/o is it? Did it come with instructions @Musntgrumble?

Those two components just above that valve are inline restrictors. So they are going to allow water to waste. Unfortunately, @Musntgrumblewouldn't be able to adjust his pure to waste ratio as those restrictors are preset. The one I got from RoMan many years ago (10 years) was a 3 to 1 ratio. The way I see it is that the valve is to be opened for flushing and closed when producing.

I have never seen an r/o with 2 restrictors.

I've got the same system. It's set up for a 60/40 waste to pure ratio. When it's open it allows more to go through to waste to flush. When it's closed it's restricted and the psi jumps up by about 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

if its your waste then DONT fully close it!!! Itll trash the membrane. You need to close it slowly until your running a 1:1 pure waste ratio. Open it to flush it for a few mins every time.
That is the waste and should be 100% closed when making pure as the round cylinders with flow written on them are flow restrictors which have a small hole in them designed to let the optimum amount of waste through for those particular membranes

They do the same job as leaving the waste slightly open on a 4040 type ro that doesn't have them fitted

Opening the waste as well reduces pressure which is needed to make the membranes work properly

You can replace them and set it yourself with a second tap that you don't touch once set and use the other one to flush so you can set your pure/waste ratio yourself but you need to find the right balance of waste/pressure

My tap pressure is around 75psi so i can open it a bit with no adverse effect on pressure

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave B Thank you for the advice "Closed it is then...I think ... all technical stuff then  :1f635:

What r/o is it? Did it come with instructions @Musntgrumble?

Those two components just above that valve are inline restrictors. So they are going to allow water to waste. Unfortunately, @Musntgrumblewouldn't be able to adjust his pure to waste ratio as those restrictors are preset. The one I got from RoMan many years ago (10 years) was a 3 to 1 ratio. The way I see it is that the valve is to be opened for flushing and closed when producing.

I have never seen an r/o with 2 restrictors.
Hi it is a water genie 400 gpd  Spuce :)

Back