Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

how would you handle this

WCF

Help Support WCF:

B

boarcity

last 3 yrs iv cleaned a biggish 3 storey nursing home 34 bedder with my workers . the manager rang and i was asked to quote in writing and a week later id got it at 85 quid outsides. been no problem since.

today i get an email from Mike [maintenance] at the home tellin me theyve got a much lower quote from another firm and theyre going to try them out so cancel my next visit and we will see how he gets on

my initial reaction is fuc em , i mean iv got so much work thisll not matter one way or another. but now im thinking that this guy Mike [who iv never seen in 3 yrs] is possibly doing this on the sly .maybe his mate or maybe its even him having a go at windows? without authority .

what would you do?

I know exactly what you want to do, it sucks getting undercut, but there is not much you can do. Just graciously step out. The fun will come if/when they try to get you back- then the world is your oyster. Like you said, you don't need them, £85 sounded cheap anyway.

Why did Mike the maintenance man contact you, is he in charge or the manager?

If you want to keep it contact the organ grinder and ask WTF is going on.

Why did Mike the maintenance man contact you, is he in charge or the manager?
If you want to keep it contact the organ grinder and ask WTF is going on.
im not really bothered IF i keep it ,its hard work.

but i AM bothered the way this guy emailed. this home is part of a chain ,organized,written quotes . i know if my services were being cancelled a manager would write a letter not a maintenance man .

im thinking IF this new guy fuks up and im asked back, somehow i must make sure Mike suffers loses his job in the process

You, or the missis, could directly give the Home a 'courtesy' call saying that you are sorry to lose their custom over a 'cheaper quote' and 'not to hesitate in contacting you if they need your services in the future' See what the reply is :thumbsup:

You, or the missis, could directly give the Home a 'courtesy' call saying that you are sorry to lose their custom over a 'cheaper quote' and 'not to hesitate in contacting you if they need your services in the future' See what the reply is :thumbsup:
good idea"!

If it was me I would contact the Manager for confirmation. Just in case there was some sneaky business going on or a mistake.

I clean a wedding venue every month but got a phone call from someone in the office telling me they were cancelling me. So I didn't turn up again. Then I got the annoyed owner ringing up asking why I hadn't cleaned the windows as arranged. It turned out that the office should have cancelled the cleaner, not the window cleaner.

If they really are trying someone else they won't last long at cheaper than your price. Sounds like you only just make it pay.

When they come back to you put the price up.

If they really are trying someone else they won't last long at cheaper than your price. Sounds like you only just make it pay.
When they come back to you put the price up.
how high ?

I would do the courtesy call to the manager explain that your upset that your losing them. Also explain what the repercussions of a cheap quote can mean unfriendly, un uniformed staff, no insurance, a rushed job and possibility of them being untrustworthy! Sounds like a bored Maintenance man trying to make himself feel important sending emails rather than fixing something!

My first question is why do you still trad 3 storey buildings?:confused:

To be honest if they can't afford 85 squid with the money they charge on 34 rooms a week they must be having a laugh.

My point is why mess about worrying over loosing 85 squid beats me when you can concentrate on getting better paid work surely?

Depends on what it's worth. Treat it as a new quote. What would you charge now you have a bit more experience pricing up?
id go in at 100 now. i found out who this Mike guy is, by ringing him at 4 a.m. ! i didnt speak but i recognized the voice,"who is this???" hes a handyman at the home. i now remember him telling me ages ago how he had made new garage doors for the home,out of scrap wood,saving the home a few thou .

My first question is why do you still trad 3 storey buildings?:confused:
To be honest if they can't afford 85 squid with the money they charge on 34 rooms a week they must be having a laugh.

My point is why mess about worrying over loosing 85 squid beats me when you can concentrate on getting better paid work surely?
slowly im getting away from the 3 storey stuff . i quite enjoy it having said that

I've worked in a care home, they are always trying to scrimp on some things, and spend a fortune on other things that seem irrational (but required).

Some worker personalities try and be bossy and show 'authority' by doing just this sort of thing, trying to look good by saving a fiver.

Usually backfired on someone when they broke the regs, such as drilling a wall without an asbestos report, or using a Chemical with no coshh or RA. Care homes need to be careful who they sub contract to and this mike may have breached the company/local authority policy in terminating your contract or hiring an unapproved contractor. My one didn't have a window cleaner though, so that might be a discretionary area perhaps.

I've worked in a care home, they are always trying to scrimp on some things, and spend a fortune on other things that seem irrational (but required).Some worker personalities try and be bossy and show 'authority' by doing just this sort of thing, trying to look good by saving a fiver.

Usually backfired on someone when they broke the regs, such as drilling a wall without an asbestos report, or using a Chemical with no coshh or RA. Care homes need to be careful who they sub contract to and this mike may have breached the company/local authority policy in terminating your contract or hiring an unapproved contractor. My one didn't have a window cleaner though, so that might be a discretionary area perhaps.
thats intresting info jim, so i take it the home u were in never got its windows cleaned?

I've worked in a care home, they are always trying to scrimp on some things, and spend a fortune on other things that seem irrational (but required).Some worker personalities try and be bossy and show 'authority' by doing just this sort of thing, trying to look good by saving a fiver.

thats true,i can remember seein the garage doors he made,looked okay but not professional. i can remember thinking doors ok, but WHY are you doin it,its not in your job description,

perhaps as you say, hes one of those types

thats true,i can remember seein the garage doors he made,looked okay but not professional. i can remember thinking doors ok, but WHY are you doin it,its not in your job description,
perhaps as you say, hes one of those types
That is exactly the type I encountered, we had shelving cracked and put up with mismatched brackets, skip find style furniture, hair brained garden furniture ideas implemented... Despite the large budget allocations. Trying to prove a point but to whom? Trying to boost ego by looking 'pro active' and 'budget conscious'

Back