Licencing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Colley614, Aug 7, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Colley614

Colley614 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

This is something I feel quite strongly about. I think when you come into the industry that you should have to gain a licence. When you first start out you should have to attend a course (There are plenty of free ones.) Once you have passed your course then you can go to somebody Like the Federation and apply for you licence. I think this way it would cut out a lot of fall from ladders and all the rogue traders that plague our industry.

Advertisement
  2. It would be very difficult to regulate but I completely agree on the principal

3. Colley614

Colley614 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree it would be very hard to police but I'm sure if we helped it would be a little easier. For arguements sake if you where working an area and somebody said "We use this guy, he charges £5." and you think to yourself that it was an hours work then you had a number on your licence that you could call.

The view I'm taking is that I'm only recommending something that already exists in the Taxi industry or so I'm led to believe.

4. Iain

Iain Guru

I think there's something like this in Scotland? It may be a bit different but there's some kind of registration process you have to go through with the local council.

Good idea to get this industry regulated as there's too many cowboys out there giving the professionals a bad name.

5. Paul

Paul Guest

The one in Scotland is just a street traders licence I think.

I totally agree with you on this colley 100%

6. mr shine

mr shine Guru

id love to see regulation being introduced at the moment theres a load of dole merchants going around and they take a lot of work that we should be getting the sad part is most of them are out for drink or drug money.

7. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

im up for it! get rid of all the cowboys wont be that hard to police tho, as long as people know what to look out for and ask for id card it will be fine. works for gas fitters!

8. The thing is with gas fitters is the dangers of getting things wrong from the customers point of view is a little more dangerous compared to a dirty window so there would be a lot of people who wouldn't care if you had a licence. And he would pay for it to be regulated? That would come our way, this would probably work out more expensive then loosing those few customers to dodgy windies.

9. Iain

Iain Guru

I don't know whether this is actually enforceable or not but Scottish Licensed Window Cleaners Network website says that some councils in Scotland require window cleaners in their constituency to be registered with them.

10. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

I'm in Scotland, yes we have to be registered. The cost depends on the council in which you live, but mine is about £150 for 2 years I think.

You have to apply to the council and they do a police check and check your insurance then issue licence.

I have used it when going in for commercial jobs, and I try to mention it as often as possible as I'm paying for it. Problem is there's loads of guys out there that aren't licenced, but nothing seems to be done.

If I lose a customer due to price, I always tell them to check the new guy has a licence.

Advertisement