License And Insurance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Shinytime, May 12, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Shinytime

Shinytime Active Member

How many of you guys have had to go through a license process with your local council and get insurance policys? Just wondering because it seems to just be most of the scottish councils which do this. I was £66 for a license and £73.98 for insurance!

Hate seeing cow boy cleaners out there after me doing it all legally!

Advertisement
  2. charlie

charlie Banned

wear all cow boys in England most have no inshorance and all of us have no licens

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Speak for yourself Charile....Yehaa :Image13:

Seriously Shinytime far play to you but I think licensing is another way for Scottish councils to make money out of honest hard working trade’s ppl. However without having enforcement officers to stop unlicensed window cleaners trading especially the ones with criminal records that don't register I'm sure it will not stop them altogether.

Here in England we don't need a license to trade as a window cleaner and good job too as would be unfairly targeting one occupation against other cleaners and trades that work in the domestic sector.

4. Shinytime

Shinytime Active Member

Alright, its a bit of a joke, none of the commercial premises will take me on unless i had the license, i see all of these guys out driving round in their old cars with a ladder and a squeege cleaning windows without licenses! Does my head in. i tottaly agree with you, another way for scottish councils to make money!

5. chip

chip Guru

I wish we had licenses in England, it needn't cost 60 odd quid though, just the price of the ink and card. It would mean other Windys could either challenge to see licences or report it to make sure they had. It wouldn't end benefit frauds, but would help reduce it

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

[SIZE=10.5pt]Chips it's more to do with crb checks and insurance in Scotland so the idea ment with good intentions in its conception is trying to stop ppl with criminal records working as a window cleaner to help reduce crime. All I can say it's a funny way to go about reducing the crime rate in Scotland. :Image3:[/SIZE]

7. Shinytime

Shinytime Active Member

You should see the license! its massive, its got a hologram and everything in it! Your quite right it should just be a card with ink!

8. messimagician

messimagician Member

Why should reformed people who have made mistakes in the past be penalised to be a self employed window cleaner? . Is it any wonder why criminals re offend if you can't even get a job as a window cleaner. We want people off the dole and working in this country but at the same time they make it very difficult

9. Smurf

Smurf Banned

So basically Scotland treats everyone wondering about with a ladder as upto no good. So what about builders, sat installers, electricians etc. How can you discriminate against one trade like window cleaning bets me? Seems like ppl are proven guilty until found innocent by waving your card in the air I suppose. How daft is that?

Whatever happened to civil liberties and I'm sure it's possible that the Scottish gov could be held liable for deformation of character in a European court of law.

10. doug atkinson

doug atkinson Well-Known Member

Smurf there are around 20 trades covered under that Act who require licences, not just window cleaners.

Advertisement