Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Seem to using a lot of water up quickly and taking a while on jobs

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Beano

Hi fairly new to window cleaning I've just come to the end of my first year, I use water fed pole methods but seem to be using up my water fairly quick and taking a while on jobs. Any advice would be great

It takes a while but a year in you should be getting there. A lot of it for me in the early days was confidence. Confidence that the window would dry clean. I would spend ages scrubbing and ages rinsing making sure the window was perfect but as time went on you find you don't need to be quite so OCD and the windows will dry just fine.

That was my reason for being slow and using loads of water might be something different with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fairly new to window cleaning I've just come to the end of my first year, I use water fed pole methods but seem to be using up my water fairly quick and taking a while on jobs. Any advice would be great
What flow rate are you using?

Most newbies spend to long 'scrubbing' the glass. If its not a first clean, once you have brushed all the glass once, there's no need to go over it again. Rinse of and move on

Presumably you wfp your own windows too? Try cleaning them fast (assuming its o ly been a month or so since last proper clean) just got round the frames then brush the glass once and rinse then wait u til dry and see if you have done a good job or not and if so then u can confidently do them out in the winderness

Have trust in your tools and cleaning , I used to take ages over scrubbing and rinishing but it's the rinse what's the most important and first cleans always take that little bit longer but second third time round you should be cutting time down by loads , keep on top of tds reading

First cleans should take a little time so when you go next you will whizz round them.

Flow really won't effect water consumption massively but flow when not on a window will.

I use an inline tap on a belt so I can shut off water between windows others use a remote. You would be amazed how much water you will save if you can turn it off instantly when the customer comes out to annoy you with stories of their overly wonderful grand kids.

Presumably you wfp your own windows too? Try cleaning them fast (assuming its o ly been a month or so since last proper clean) just got round the frames then brush the glass once and rinse then wait u til dry and see if you have done a good job or not and if so then u can confidently do them out in the winderness
I even used to do this with trad to see what I can get away with, and what I can't. Thats essentially what every trade is about.

are your customers happy ? are you picking work up off other window cleaners ? is your round growing and your making money ? if yes to all above you doing great good young sky walker

don't ****** it all up by reading bull poop of facebook groups on how great people are at doing a million window an hour its mostly rubbish

may the force be with you

First cleans should take a little time so when you go next you will whizz round them.
Flow really won't effect water consumption massively but flow when not on a window will.

I use an inline tap on a belt so I can shut off water between windows others use a remote. You would be amazed how much water you will save if you can turn it off instantly when the customer comes out to annoy you with stories of their overly wonderful grand kids.
I also use the tap on a belt method.

more customers you get quicker you will go, firstly to get round them but secondly because you wont be paranoid about getting a complain, as even if you lose a custy by rushing its not the end of the world.

I once saw someone advise that you increase your speed until you start to get complaints then slow it down a bit, it about riding that fine line between going as fast as you can and getting complaints.

WB @SPCleaning obviously a profitable summer for you as we aint seen you this past few weeks!
Benidorm or Skegness?
It has been a good Summer. Best year I have had, still moving in a positive direction and enjoying what I do. Just wish the rain would lay off until Christmas as i have made a few 'I'll be there before Christmas' type promises.

when you first start yes it takes you longer,suppose your learning!

remember when i started was using then super light brushes from gardiner really gd nice and light getting on great flying through the graft me and my mate

giving all the windows really gd scrub weather they was really dirty

or not, remember watching my mate flipen heck you would think the windows was layered in bird crxp the way he was scrubbing

my super cool light brushes£30 a pop knackered with all the heavy use

if they ar,nt minging stinken no need to go radge with the heavy scrubbing

Sometimes it just seems to take longer cause you're knackered /emoticons/tongue.png all the money is heavy to carry around and burns alot of calories

What comes with time also is getting a whole days work in one spot, that is the ultimate time saving, going door after door

It takes a while but a year in you should be getting there. A lot of it for me in the early days was confidence. Confidence that the window would dry clean. I would spend ages scrubbing and ages rinsing making sure the window was perfect but as time went on you find you don't need to be quite so OCD and the windows will dry just fine.
That was my reason for being slow and using loads of water might be something different with you.
You could say I have a slight tendency of ocd when scrubbing my biggest worry is spotting especially at the top of the glass but to be honest Its never happens so I don't know why I worry so much haha

Cheers for all the helpful responses guys :thumbsup: my biggest thing I think by reading the comments is I spend to long scrubbing. I guess I worry about complaints as I'm still building my round and dont really want to loose any

Back