Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

gardiner back pack charging question

Dragbag

iv received my backpack and am a little confused about the charging display! when the backpack is off, but charging should the l.e.ds show charge rate? or do you just know the charging level when you switch it on.

gardiner say it only shows the amount of charge when its switched on... not when its off but charging:wondering:

iv received my backpack and am a little confused about the charging display! when the backpack is off, but charging should the l.e.ds show charge rate? or do you just know the charging level when you switch it on.
gardiner say it only shows the amount of charge when its switched on... not when its off but charging:wondering:
Hi Dragbag

The charger tells you when it's charged by changing the LED on the charger from red to green.

I have updated the instructions as follows to try and make this clearer:

BACKPACK USE AND BATTERY CHARGING INSTRUCTIONS

To use the variable flow controller on the V3 Backpack, push the on/off switch to the “I” position and then turn on the unit using the flow control silver dial until the desired flow rate is reached. When desired flow rate is set, you can then switch on and off to this speed using just the on/off switch. For full flow rate push the switch to the “II” setting.

The battery comes fully charged as standard. However, it is recommended that you charge the battery again until the green light on the charger illuminates. Charger will show RED led whilst charging and when battery is less than full.

To read the voltmeter: Turn the pump switch to the II setting - when all three lights show, this indicates the backpack is fully charged; when just the red and yellow lights show, this indicates the backpack needs to be re-charged soon; when the red light only shows it indicates the backpack must be recharged immediately. Failure to do so and continuing to use the backpack in this battery state could damage the battery and shorten its lifespan.

· For prolonged battery life and to avoid battery cell damage it is best to keep the battery charged as often as possible, preferably after each use.

· Only charge the unit using the supplied battery charger. Do not use a computer lead or similar.

· If using with chemicals, always ensure that the unit is rinsed out fully and the pump and hose is flushed through for a few minutes with pure water before storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
So why the contradiction between the lights on the backpack and the lights on the charger? when I switch the backpack to position 2 the green light on the backpack comes on but when I plug-in the charger the charger remains red even though the backpack voltmeter indicates a full charge. also the backpack came fully charged but it's been on for a few hours and the charger remains red

Also something I don't understand when I plug the charger in and have power running to the backpack if the light on the charger shows red and I turn the power off at the mains and back on again it comes to Green then I switch the power off and on again and the charger reverts back to Red?? Any clue Alex

So why the contradiction between the lights on the backpack and the lights on the charger? when I switch the backpack to position 2 the green light on the backpack comes on but when I plug-in the charger the charger remains red even though the backpack voltmeter indicates a full charge. also the backpack came fully charged but it's been on for a few hours and the charger remains red
The LEDs on the charger are more sensitive than on the Backpack. The LEDs on the backpack are to give you an indication of the state of charge. The charger is more accurate as to exactly when the battery is charged.

Also something I don't understand when I plug the charger in and have power running to the backpack if the light on the charger shows red and I turn the power off at the mains and back on again it comes to Green then I switch the power off and on again and the charger reverts back to Red?? Any clue Alex
It is best to switch the charger off and unplug once used. Then plug it back in and switch on again - this will give you an accurate reading from the charger. Sometimes the charger will take a few seconds to change the LED to the correct setting to match the voltage it has sensed.

I have updated the instructions as follows to try and make this clearer:

BACKPACK USE AND BATTERY CHARGING INSTRUCTIONS

To use the variable flow controller on the V3 Backpack, push the on/off switch to the “I” position and then turn on the unit using the flow control silver dial until the desired flow rate is reached. When desired flow rate is set, you can then switch on and off to this speed using just the on/off switch. For full flow rate push the switch to the “II” setting.

The battery comes fully charged as standard. However, it is recommended that you charge the battery again until the green light on the charger illuminates. Charger will show RED led whilst charging and when battery is less than full.

To read the voltmeter: Turn the pump switch to the II setting - when all three lights show, this indicates the backpack is fully charged; when just the red and yellow lights show, this indicates the backpack needs to be re-charged soon; when the red light only shows it indicates the backpack must be recharged immediately. Failure to do so and continuing to use the backpack in this battery state could damage the battery and shorten its lifespan.

· For prolonged battery life and to avoid battery cell damage it is best to keep the battery charged as often as possible, preferably after each use.

· Only charge the unit using the supplied battery charger. Do not use a computer lead or similar.

· If using with chemicals, always ensure that the unit is rinsed out fully and the pump and hose is flushed through for a few minutes with pure water before storage.

H Alex, I need to buy a gardiner back pack I got one but it broke and am gutted it was 2nd hand and was a spare for me but I really liked it, are their any deals about at present on the back pack? The 22l one yellow and blue. Great back pack I feel its better than the big boy back pack imo. Thanks /emoticons/smile.png

H Alex, I need to buy a gardiner back pack I got one but it broke and am gutted it was 2nd hand and was a spare for me but I really liked it, are their any deals about at present on the back pack? The 22l one yellow and blue. Great back pack I feel its better than the big boy back pack imo. Thanks /emoticons/smile.png
Hi Mr Clean

We have no special deals on the backpacks currently - Gardiner Pure Water Backpack V3 - 22 litre - The Gardiner Backpack - Portable Systems - Pure Water Systems - All Products Gardiner Pole Systems

We have managed to keep the price the same, despite Brexit having adversely affected the sterling to dollar exchange rate. This has greatly affected our margins on such things as the backpacks and our poles - we are holding prices as they are for the moment, but are hoping for a strengthening in the exchange rate soon to avoid any price rises in the coming months.

Hi Alex, when will you decide to offer your customers an in car charger for the backpack, it could be charging all the time spent in the car then!

please consider in in car charger

Hi Alex, when will you decide to offer your customers an in car charger for the backpack, it could be charging all the time spent in the car then!

Hi Joel

There are two ways of achieving this:

1. Fit a mains inverter and then plug the backpack charger into it -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTEK-Inverter-Converter-Outlet-Charger-Red/dp/B008HOECP0/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=12v%2Binverter%2Bcar&qid=1583510489&sr=8-5&th=1

2. Connect a split charge relay to your van and connect directly to the backpack charging socket using one of these plugs from the relay - for best results it would be worth upgrading your vehicle's alternator.

Almost pointless I would have thought, if you compare the minimal charge your phone would get within lets say 30 minutes the charge for a backpack wouldn't be much better and I would have thought it would be less effective with a larger battery such as those within backpacks. 

Almost pointless I would have thought, if you compare the minimal charge your phone would get within lets say 30 minutes the charge for a backpack wouldn't be much better and I would have thought it would be less effective with a larger battery such as those within backpacks. 
What about using an ac converter, 

as Alex suggests?

What about using an ac converter, 

as Alex suggests?
Just take the back pack inside at the end of the day and recharge it at a wall socket. Its easy to keep an eye on as well.

We can sometimes have the charger working for a couple of hours. As @Iron Giant says, it would take the same time to charge the bp battery using an inverter. My ride home is 10 minutes at the most. I won't get much charge if I used an inverter.

Back