Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Playing tatical on commercial quotes...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Trev81

Not been that prolific in commercial work so far in my business, and have concentrated fully on domestic jobs. The few large commercial jobs I have quoted so far that have mostly come from my sponsored listing on yell.com I have not won for one reason or another, mostly down to my quotes been too high I think, looking back I have possible been a little greedy with them but not massively, just others around me cheaper by the looks!

So I got a call from a large care home complex yesterday to go and quote for their 90 bed and 60 bed care homes both next to each other, and also a pair of large fully clad in blue upvc apartment blocks (very american style) also within the complex, the call he made simply asked me to visited with a view to getting a quote for regular 4 weekly exterior cleaning of all 4 buildings windows/frames.

Arrived today and found out the care firm have just taken on the buildings, they have previously been left empty for the past few years although there modern they are very in need of a hell of a first clean, the blue apartment blocks need a full building clean and are currently empty, basically a big first clean then regular windows after.

He said they have got 4 local window cleaning companies that all offer commercial work coming in to quote, so rather than loose out in a bidding war i thought, and also quite keen to know what others quote in my area, I simply told him I am not going to quote you on this and instead told him to supply me with their quotes in writting and I will see if I can improve on them to hopefully gain the work.

Would anyone else take the same route I am going on this if your situation was similar to mine, I really want to get these bigger job but of course not at daft money as it would not be worth it, I have a hourly rate I want from it, but just keen to see what others are quoting as lost out on others beforehand, he seemed ok with doing that, I also told him I was highly OCD and can't comment on others etc, so he knows I would do a good job, I think I was the only "one man" operation, the other 3 were bigger firms.

I walked round after and took lots of photos so if I hear the quotes then I have something to look at to see if I can better the prices. Also not far from me so can always revisit to take a longer look.

Be interesting to know any other ways you might go about large jobs like these to ensure you get it without pricing it too low to do a decent job.

The thing is, the bigger firms can go in cheap as they will pay a worker peanuts per day and make money off him, whereas you want to be earning more than peanuts a day being a one man band.

he will 80 percent not get back to you, and yes ive been in ure shoes but for some strange reason some commercial sites will pay double their neigbours price so dont worry . i say rather than take over the world with cheap pricing get them in slowly but at great prices, if you charge a place at 200 quid that someone else will charge 150 or even 100 yo doing it for 10 years is like him doing it for 20 years so by the time u get undercut you can have enough mony to start a better business or go on early pension;)

I quoted a big Italian restaurant last week

Met the owner and gave my price which was £75 he told me another window had quoted £50 I said carny do it for that but I got it anyways,it's not always about the price sometimes the way you come across

I mentioned the signs etc really flash looking and mentioned every couple months il clean um all down keep them looking nice

Sometimes little details can swing it

Thats what I thought @Eviestevie I did make him aware I do a very good standard of work, not the fastest by a long way but detailed. Perhaps I will put a quote in for it tomorrow, will think about it more this evening over a couple of pints of abbots. The one thing that worries me is they have just taken it over from a derelict site and naturally for the size want to go on 30 day billing, just a slight worry for a business of my size as to sort it all out it is a few days solid work on my own.

When u quote make sure it's detailed really make it like there getting a lot for money

Mentioned you'll do all frames glass sills doorways etc

Could always mention that it's your business in your name not a big company so take that extra pride in your name and job

Apartment blocks below, 2 of these buildings, photo shows about 30%/40% of one side, require all windows/frames cleaned, all blue cladding, g/s/f cleaned, basically a full clean up and there hanging currently!

View attachment 5535

Part of the 60 bed building.

View attachment 5536

Some of the 90 bed building, windows/frames and classing bits on first clean, then windows 4 weeklyView attachment 5537

most of 1 side of the 90 bed building, windows/frames and classing bits on first clean, then windows 4 weekly

View attachment 5534

In all 4 buildings, what would you go in at, take into account there in quite bad state currently, the worst are the blue buildings as near the road, still empty but been done up to accomodate asap.

View attachment 5533

I think it is composite, it's like a blue wood effect, to touch it feels really dirty!! It looks worse in person than the photos, I would imagine soaking with Ubik and lots of it would be like slugde running down to the floor! Probbaly jetwash it all would be faster? Then clean the windows wfp? But doubtful they have a tap. I think I would be there a looooon time. But I would enjoy to clean it haha

I think it is composite, it's like a blue wood effect, to touch it feels really dirty!! It looks worse in person than the photos, I would imagine soaking with Ubik and lots of it would be like slugde running down to the floor! Probbaly jetwash it all would be faster? Then clean the windows wfp? But doubtful they have a tap. I think I would be there a looooon time. But I would enjoy to clean it haha
I love jobs like this although in 20yesrs never done one this big

There's hell of a lot work there so be so be carefull

So it's all gutters,fascias soffits

All windows frames etc

And all cladding

I love jobs like this although in 20yesrs never done one this bigThere's hell of a lot work there so be so be carefull

So it's all gutters,fascias soffits

All windows frames etc

And all cladding
Lock stock the lot! He was just like yeh get it all done initially as I kept asking as I walked round. I did say thats ALOT of work and will not be cheap, but he was just the site manager about mid 20's so not his cash.

The last big commercial job I did I was the highest out of 3 quotes, and double the cheapest, but still got it. Don't sell yourself short. No point on killing yourself for cheap work, and personally I will be looking to take on help the next time I get a big job.

Although only g/s/f on the 2 blue apartment blocks as far as I am aware so far, will need to double check on that with him. The 2 large care homes g/s/f did seem in clean condition from the ground.

Lock stock the lot! He was just like yeh get it all done initially as I kept asking as I walked round. I did say thats ALOT of work and will not be cheap, but he was just the site manager about mid 20's so not his cash.
Well if it was me I'd work out a price for each thing separately

Have a long hard think about how to tackle it

I've zoomed in on photos and everything is ditched

So if it was me on arrival id use degreaser or ubik etc and using a big sprayer and give everything a good soaking

Then tackle cleaning gutters followed by fascias soffits

Then cladding,seeing as it's empty I'd get my omnipole power pole up there and jet wash it

Then windows

Liking at the frames tho maybe something stronger than ubik etc gunna be needed

Do you have anyone who can help first initial clean to keep costs down

I don't have anybody thats trained but do have a couple of people to call on if needs be as general helpers. I gave it some thought last night and are going to propose a quote today and put it to them, all the hard work is in this initial clean up, mostly those 2 large apartment blocks, I think doing it alone I would give myself 7-10 days so will just go in at a fair day rate for 10 days to cover myself and costs such as chemicals etc, after that I think 4 weekly windows on all 4 buildings is a solid 1 days work for me.

One of them omipoles would be handy for that! I hope just using strong Ubik and very HOT water will do the job, will wack up the temp on that cladding to 80 odd degree. and just plod on!! Will keep you updated if I get the job.

I'm going to state payment on completion on the initial clean and then agree to invoiced 30 days thereafter just be on the safe side.

I am fortunate enough to have a strong enough round that i can stand by my pricing.

Time is £40 per hour so calculate the hours and times by rate trev.

Dont be afraid to walk away or even turn down large jobs.

If you are hurting for the money then sure go cheap, but you will loath doing the job amd be miserable. I would rather walk away.

Did a care home yesterday, 2 hours £90. I do it every 3 months and that 2 hours is me dragging it out a bit sonthey feel they get value.

Question really is Trev... whats it worth to you?

I agree @Green Pro Clean Ltd certainly would not price it to a point where I hated the job, I am not quite at your hourly rate yet, I am happy around the £30 at present which 'hopefully' puts me in a quite competitive place on this job, like you can see all the hard work is in the initial clean up which is days on my own, so I have set myself a number of days to do it and priced it accordingly, if I go over that it's my error, if under I am on to a winner. I have also made a point of payment on completion first up due to the labour, then net 30 days after for regular windows.

If it goes to someone lower priced who will perhaps do not such a detailed job then I am quite happy to loose it and carry on as I am. I will await the response from them...

The last big commercial job I did I was the highest out of 3 quotes, and double the cheapest, but still got it. Don't sell yourself short. No point on killing yourself for cheap work, and personally I will be looking to take on help the next time I get a big job.
Give me a shout next time tolish

I agree @Green Pro Clean Ltd certainly would not price it to a point where I hated the job, I am not quite at your hourly rate yet, I am happy around the £30 at present which 'hopefully' puts me in a quite competitive place on this job, like you can see all the hard work is in the initial clean up which is days on my own, so I have set myself a number of days to do it and priced it accordingly, if I go over that it's my error, if under I am on to a winner. I have also made a point of payment on completion first up due to the labour, then net 30 days after for regular windows.
If it goes to someone lower priced who will perhaps do not such a detailed job then I am quite happy to loose it and carry on as I am. I will await the response from them...
Well Trev with the initial impression you've probably given the prospective client ( your prompting him to let you know your rivals quotes, quite unethical on your/his part but very handy for him if he wants to play you for a mug ) you may well get it. If you do, make sure you get a contract drawn up for a set period. If you've worked your rate out then have confidence in it, DON'T give them an inkling you're desperate ( bit late on this occasion ) and stick to your guns. Good luck.

Back