Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Going insane!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Brandon

So my set up is simple:

2 x 20l tubs of rain water to y splitter> in-line strainer> shurflo 100psi pump> 4.6 litre di vessel>hose reel

It all works fine, the only problem is when I'm cleaning windows and the tub empties....the pressure out the pole drops which is understandable but when I go back to change tubs, the pump is running constantly and basically sucking up air and creating a huge airlock in the system. the best way I've found to lose the airlock is disconnect the hose between the di vessel and hose reel and run it for a few minutes while it coughs and splutters and finally the water starts flowing again.

Obviously this isn't ideal as I have to wait a good 5 minutes every time this happens, does anybody have any suggestions on how to avoid this problem as it's really slowing me down. And no, a tank is not an option!

Thanks in advance!/emoticons/smile.png

Should also point out......I don't JUST have 2 tubs, I run 2 tubs at a time if that makes sense:thumbsup:

Seems like you're running your system a bit like the 50ltr trolley from Pure Freedom. Dunno what size hose you're using but I had a similar problem when I was using 1/2 inch hose from barel to pump with a strainer fitted on my 25ltr trolley. When I switched to 8mm hose it was much better. It fills with water so much quicker. I also found the strainer to be a complete waste of time as it never strained anything. All it ever did was go green with algae. It also created a big air pocket so I removed it. My setup now primes so fast I never worry about emptying my barrels. I fitted one of these to the pickup end of my hose which reduces the suction created by the pump so any grit that might get in my barrels is too heavy to be picked up. Just in case. Not had a problem with this setup in years.

DSCF1076A.jpg

water%20pickup_01.jpg

The one I fitted was off a cleantec trigger valve but the white fitting pictured will do the job. Got mine from Gardiner's.

Here's the link.

Nylon Male Screw Thread to Hose Barb Fittings - Hose Fittings Screw to Barb - Fittings, Barbs, Adapters, Etc - Hose Fittings & Adapters - Pump & Hose - All Products Gardiner Pole Systems

The problem may also be being caused by the 'Y' piece and picking up from two hoses in two barrels at the same time.

I would start with reducing the hose size. If that doesn't work remove the strainer. Finally I would remove the 'Y' piece and set up to pick up from one barrel at a time and just swap hose from one barrel to the other when one runs out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just re-ready your OP Brandon and realised I missed the DI in your system. So you're filtering as your using. As I understand it when you empty a barrel and get air in the system, you disconnect your hose between your DI and your hose reel. This means your pump is not only trying to suck water up from fresh barrels and clear the airlock but it also trying to push water through wet resin in the the DI at the same time. Wet resin is going to create back pressure in the pump which you don't want when you're trying to prime it (clear the airlock). It needs unrestricted flow. Try disconnecting the hose after the pump but before the DI so the pump has no back pressure to deal with. Once flowing freely, plug the hose back into the DI. Of course You'll have to wait for your DI to fill but if you're using a Sureflo that should only take a minute.

My first post regards using the 8mm hose will help speed up the priming process if indeed you are using 1/2 inch hose as there is a lot less air in an empty piece of 8mm hose than the is in the same length of 1/2 inch hose. The pump has to draw that air through before it can prime itself with water. So the less air it has to draw up the quicker it can get in on with job of pumping water which is what does really well

Last edited by a moderator:
Back