Loads of advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Adams0211, Jan 20, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

Hi guys. I'm after some advice. I'll try and keep it as short and sweet as possible.

A bit of background for those that don't know. I've been window cleaning since late 2014. I switched to wfp a couple of months back and love it. I'm currently using a Gardiner backpack on a trolley with an SLX pole. I drive a 13 year old Vauxhall combo which has been reliable but is really starting to show its age. I've got a small tank in the van along with half a dozen 25l drum. I purchase my water from a unit a couple of miles from my house.

As mentioned above, I currently buy my water. It's pretty convenient as its so close to home but I'm totally reliant on the place being open. I'd be in the **** if he decided to shut up shop tomorrow. There's been a couple of occasions recently where he's closed up at short notice. The place is also closed for two hours over lunch which can be a pain. In short, I'm 100% reliant on someone else for my water and I want to do something about that. Please can you advise me on what's best to buy. I don't need to be producing thousands of litres a day or anything like that. Something that produces around 300 litres a day would be perfect.

Secondly, I've been thinking a bit more about the future recently. I've really gotten the wfp bug and I know that this will be what I'll do long term now. My van isn't going to last forever and I can't spend the next X amount of years filling my backpack and lugging that around with me. I also think that my backpack will eventually start holding me back (there's no way I could do commercial work) and the 13 year old (non sign written) van isn't helping either.

I'm not going to have a massive budget but I've been looking online at small vans around the £4000 mark and there seems to be plenty of decent ones out there. I've also been looking at the facelift compact van mounted systems (with a power reel) and they seem like a good option. I guess what I'm asking is what you would do if you were in my position? I'm still new to the game but I already feel like there's things I can do to increase my earnings and smarten up my image. I know a lot of you guys like your DIY systems but I don't mind spending a bit more on something that is going to do the job well and last me for a while.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. kahoona

kahoona Well-Known Member

My brother has been in the motor trade for over 30 years, the advise he always gives me when buying vans is get as low mileage as you can. Regarding the water production. I currently use a 200GPD RO system with a DI vessel into a holding tank. Then from there into tank and barrels in my van. I only do about about 200 ltrs per day. so this works for atm. but I will be upgrading to something a bit more waste water friendly such as a 40/40. My water bill has gone from £27 pm, to over £60 pm since I started using WFP regularly.

3. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

Cheers kahoona.
    Do you have a link to the RO and DI vessel you have so I can take a look?

4. Jacob

Jacob Guest

if your tds is low enough you can get away with a di vessel. Check out Ungers new Hydropower Di it come in different sizes and with built in tds meter. I have one and it is very good quality. Resin is in a bag and changing only take seconds.
    But check the tds in your tap first, before buying a ro would be my advise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

Cheers. I don't know the exact figure of my tdi but I know it's high. Around 500 I think.

6. Jacob

Jacob Guest

Thats also high. I have a high tds too but i am only Di due to the fact i produce 50 liter a month more or less.
    My supplier told my that if i was to produce over 500 liter and above a month a ro would would be a must have.

7. David K

David K Forum Addict

Rainwater harvest , then DI ! I have a 1000 l IBC and it gets me a lot of good quality water . About 8-12 ppm .:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. kahoona

here you go fella,

Pole Window Cleaning Water System - Vyair (UK) Ltd

the reason i went for this one as my first RO unit was because in the list of features it says it automatically flushed the membranes and its pumped so you don't have worry about mains water pressure.

Replacement filters are about £18 (for all 3) (Reverse Osmosis 3 Stage Filters - Vyair (UK) Ltd)

Replacement RO membranes are £31.74 currently (Amfor TW30-2012-100 Ultra Low Pressure Membrane - Vyair (UK) Ltd).

Of course all filters and membranes come with it when you first buy.

here is the DI Vessel I got. (11.7 Litre Resin Vessel - Vyair (UK) Ltd).

hope that helps

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. kahoona

A local windy to me tried rainwater harvesting but gave up because we didn't have enough rain to keep up with his usage, but in theory its a good idea, you just need to get permission to harvest off a local retail parks roofs or something like that.

10. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

Cheers for that. I'm probably asking a daft question here but what would happen if I bought an RO system without a built in pump?

Advertisement