Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TRAD VS WFP YOUR THOUGHTS?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

On first cleans trad is better

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
I tradded for 25 years and wfp is definitely better for 1st cleans

No way you can get the frames etc as clean on a first clean trad

I trad and pole, I like them both.

I feel pole is superior in terms of overall clean, everything including frames, doors etc is very very clean.

I do like to trad though, and have just upgraded my dogeared wagtail of 4 years to a liquidator fliq which I'm having a little trouble with but its awesome around the edges.

Traditional feels more hands on and the results are instant, I like to soap the glass and feel more confident in the finish-I never have to wander about the work I have just completed with traditional work.

with wfp work I feel like I'm overdoing things for sure, especially on first cleans. I just never know when I have done enough! there's no real way to tell if the glass and frame you have just cleaned is going to dry clean?

I have been experiments of late with varying amounts of scrubbing/rinsing and going back to see the results and have confirmed I have been doing too much. I frequent the forums asking questions and never really get a definitive answer, only different opinions. So I feel the only way to know is through trial and error/research and development.

I think if I could find a way to trad the "ups" and clean the frames properly with a pole (tradpoling) then I could do away with all the wfp problems such as hoses, water purification, battery charging, carrying dangerous amounts of weight in the van, freezing water, freezing pipes, freezing hoses, customers that don't like wfp, leaks in the van, leaks through customers windows, expensive equipment, etc etc etc then I would love the simplicity of tradional only.

I make it sound like I hate wfp but I don't, it was my saviour really as I'm terrified of heights and never got used to ladders after 2 years in so wfp was most welcomed by me and I'm sure if I stopped using it before long I would miss certain aspects. Leaded windows are best done wfp as are multiple small panes of glass, I have one job that has 48 12" panes x 10 so 480 (ish) panes of glass that take me 12 minutes with the pole, cant imagine how long with squeegee! And I just love the way really filthy windows and frames just get washed away of dirt with wfp, I'm sure I couldn't get things that clean with a cloth squeegee and mop..

I suppose its neither/or really, they're both strings to the bow!

I feel pole is superior in terms of overall clean, everything including frames, doors etc is very very clean.

I do like to trad though, and have just upgraded my dogeared wagtail of 4 years to a liquidator fliq which I'm having a little trouble with but its awesome around the edges.

Traditional feels more hands on and the results are instant, I like to soap the glass and feel more confident in the finish-I never have to wander about the work I have just completed with traditional work.

with wfp work I feel like I'm overdoing things for sure, especially on first cleans. I just never know when I have done enough! there's no real way to tell if the glass and frame you have just cleaned is going to dry clean?

I have been experiments of late with varying amounts of scrubbing/rinsing and going back to see the results and have confirmed I have been doing too much. I frequent the forums asking questions and never really get a definitive answer, only different opinions. So I feel the only way to know is through trial and error/research and development.

I think if I could find a way to trad the "ups" and clean the frames properly with a pole (tradpoling) then I could do away with all the wfp problems such as hoses, water purification, battery charging, carrying dangerous amounts of weight in the van, freezing water, freezing pipes, freezing hoses, customers that don't like wfp, leaks in the van, leaks through customers windows, expensive equipment, etc etc etc then I would love the simplicity of tradional only.

I make it sound like I hate wfp but I don't, it was my saviour really as I'm terrified of heights and never got used to ladders after 2 years in so wfp was most welcomed by me and I'm sure if I stopped using it before long I would miss certain aspects. Leaded windows are best done wfp as are multiple small panes of glass, I have one job that has 48 12" panes x 10 so 480 (ish) panes of glass that take me 12 minutes with the pole, cant imagine how long with squeegee! And I just love the way really filthy windows and frames just get washed away of dirt with wfp, I'm sure I couldn't get things that clean with a cloth squeegee and mop..

absolutely fantastic!! what an awesome answer. you are so right. thanks for your comment!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The title of this thread is toss... end of. 

There is no 'Vs' you need both and that's that.  

If you're wondering if you've done enough with WFP  then you simply haven't been doing it long enough.  It's simple enough to tell if the glass is clean by looking at it. 

As for rinsing... simply not necessary on maintenance cleans if your water is 000. 

(Don't bother with the onslaught it just isn't necessary.... simple as that)  

For some using WFP is all they can do and have no trad skills (personally i think that's a shame) for others they are stuck in the time warp and still refuse (usually due to initial outlay) to embrace modern times and still won't go WFP. 

Me?  Honestly I don't care what they do... that's their business. I'm just bemused that we still even debate WFP vs Trad.  Half term I will do a group of schools.  Can't WFP the insides and life's too short to Trad the outside but most ironically of all...... no one's even going to check if I've done what I say on the invoice.   Figures. 

Last edited by a moderator:
WFP done as it should be done will always give the best results, I was trad for well over 9 years and the same results can't be achieved.

As for giving the glass a thorough rinse or not it's absolutely nessacary on certain jobs such as houses that are on developing housing estates or close by or houses that are surrounded by trees loads of little bits on glass and frames after a spell of bad weather which chucks everything at the windows.

I have seen a wfper of over 6 years do a first clean like a regular clean and the results were shocking never even checked the job and walked away, The house in question was surrounded by 50ft trees and they had been having building work done the windows hadn't been cleaned in over 6 months, I could see a large upstairs window covered in c~~p after he had finished as I was cleaning the neighbours house . Bottom line its down to an individual not the method in some cases.

i use trad and wfp there is no beta methard its more of the case wich one sutes wich job  georgen wood sash is beta trad and quicker trad new upvc is beta wfp and quicker  some old upvc can play up i did a job on wednesday its a once a year job that wfp dont get them perfect even using hot water and ubik but trad it and its beta lol ive been wfp for maby 10 years and ive cleaned windows for 16 years so well experenced but i still lurn  wfp takes more time to lurn u can tell if a windows will dry proply buy looking at it and the way the water is drying on the glass  ,trad can be beta on first cleans as some times glass needs to be scraped  now inland wfp is easer to use but on the coast its very different story i see guys coming in from exeter and other inland placed that come un stuck all the time in town as there not used to the salt on the glass there is a teckneek to cleaning on the coast to get them cleaned proply salt is the killer even trad u get lines from the squeegee we used to spray yhe glass with are mops blade off the salt then soap up as normall blade off then redip mop then soap up and finish with a different squeegee to get line free finish we would go through 3 buskets of water trading all day in town it realy is a different ball game , so there u go no methard is beta its what sutes the job your working on and trad poling is a cop out as if your trad u need ladders to to it proply  :1f44d:  the trad vs wfp will never die :1f602:

What a great answer. I'm just getting into wfp but I already I can see the pros and cons of it.  I always intend to run it alongside trad, the best of both worlds and like you say another string to the bow!

Still doing some trad when needed but mostly stick waggling

You 100% wfp yet?

Definitely a call for both imo. Been doing trad for decades now and ventured into WFP over the last 8 months or so. I find doing initial or builders cleans that wfp is brilliant for signs and frames and gives a finish (when dry) that unless you lash up a ladder (dangerous and time consuming) and detail you just cannot get from trad ground pole work. I find trad essential and easier for bottoms, detailing and obviously insides.

I do all commercial work, sometimes industrial very rarely houses which wfp seems a gift for. I use a trolley system for wfp & for trad, I use a tripod on legs in which bucket slots into. Can push it along on shopping malls & legs fold in when you carry (not good on rough terrain). Means i don't have to stoop down all the time which is a gift... saves the back.

Honestly I could do most of the jobs traditionally as it is quicker just to pull out the bucket and get cracking (I have a 36 inch sorbo that is amazing for large panes), no trolley, no pump, no hose, setup etc but WFP has some great benefits for awkward high work that are a nightmare for tradders and far less risk. I have gotten some brilliant advice on here and genuinely would have been lost otherwise as regards WFP.

Water fed pole was a brilliant addition to our game and seems to be still evolving but traditional window cleaning IMO will always be necessary and tools are also improving constantly. So in short, both have their calls, bit long winded but sure there ya go :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent a lot of time thinking about it mate, and I reckon I'm going to have to use a trolley for quite a few of mine too. Just means I'm going to upgrade the trolley though as fed up of dragging the backpack on a set of little wheels. A trolley that uses a barrel strapped to it seems a lot better than refilling the backpack each time.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about it mate, and I reckon I'm going to have to use a trolley for quite a few of mine too. Just means I'm going to upgrade the trolley though as fed up of dragging the backpack on a set of little wheels. A trolley that uses a barrel strapped to it seems a lot better than refilling the backpack each time.

I'm in the process of sorting a new tank out to fill my drums from but this is my newest basic trolley

Need to sort a small hose reel for it to make it quicker to wrap up the hose after but i have enough hose to dump at side gate and do pretty much any house on my round without moving it

It will do for now but gonna be making an aluminium heavy duty one next

This one has a 6lpm aquatec pump so performs as well as a van mount

20171007_202144.jpg

20171007_202222.jpg

Back