Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Do You Clean Brand New Windows With?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

W

WWC

By this I mean, brand new windows seem to come with a film of something on them, I guess it is on the glass from the manufacturing process. It take a number of gleans to get it off with normal cleaning solutions – wash, squeegee, wash, squeegee, wash, squeegee ad infinitum, and eventually the glass come up clear and sparking.

So, do you add any specific chemical to the water for new glass, or just wash, squeegee, wash, squeegee, wash, squeegee...

Or something else?

Also...

New windows come with stickers on them. The stickers are easy enough to get off, but some of them leave a square mark on the glass that won't scrape off - what to you do about those?

Thanks

To get the label sticky stuff off, use turps with a clean cloth and leave to evaporate, then you should be able to wash as normal.

To get the label sticky stuff off, use turps with a clean cloth and leave to evaporate, then you should be able to wash as normal.
Hi Thanks,

It's not actually the sticky residue, I can get it off. But somehow, there appears to be a mark in the shape of the lable sometimes - not ever window - just some of them. Dunno, maybe it is some of the glue that is deep in the 'pores' of the glass? But, it doesn't feel sticky.

Hi Thanks,
It's not actually the sticky residue, I can get it off. But somehow, there appears to be a mark in the shape of the lable sometimes - not ever window - just some of them. Dunno, maybe it is some of the glue that is deep in the 'pores' of the glass? But, it doesn't feel sticky.
are you sure its not on the inside lol?

Seen a new window where the fitter got mixed up with his rags and gave the window it's last polish with his silicone rag looks clean till the sun comes out and then there's a lovely swirl all over the glass but you can't feel the silicone

I know what you mean, used to fit windows, is it when you pull the tape off theres like an arrow shape mark left on the plastic?

If so its a scortch mark from factory process, its where the welds on the frame are burnt together then trimmed off.

UPVC solvent cleaner and tissue should do the job bud.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

The sticker shaped marks I only see sometimes. I am thinking now that maybe I only see them on special glass i.e. treated. Maybe the treatment got affected with the sticker - I dunno. It's hard to describe as it not just a normal "sticky mark" after the label has been removed. I have orded a few glass cleaning products from a trade supplier, and I will try them. I know that 'meths' or 'sticky stuff remover' doesn't work - I've tried them.

Thanks for the tip on using meths over new glass to get the film off AK. That will save me time and work.

I would like to ask the same question! The area where the label was shows up when rinsing ? o_O
ya could try virasol neat dont let it run down the window leave on for v.short time say 20-30 secs. rub hard with old cloth taking virasol off then soap her and squeegy

Ensure no virasol goes on you. window frames ,seals because damage will occur

ya could try virasol neat dont let it run down the window leave on for v.short time say 20-30 secs. rub hard with old cloth taking virasol off then soap her and squeegyEnsure no virasol goes on you. window frames ,seals because damage will occur
Cheers norm. I actually use virasol all the time on gutters /emoticons/smile.png

Back