Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lynford From Leven (Near Hull)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

1 clean window cleaning

HI i'm Lynford, i've just left school and decided to set up my own window cleaning business. My dad runs his own power washing company. He started window cleaning when he left school, so its kind of a family tradition.

I invested £400 of my own money buying equipment and ladders etc etc. I have only been running for over a month and i have 7 bungalows 2 big office blocks and 3 houses and a big pub thats weekly. before i started going out in the public i practiced for 4 months solid on my own home.

The only trouble I'm having is when i go canvassing, people don't take me serious as i'm young and they probably think i don't know what I'm doing. Is there any tips or any tricks that you have when you go canvassing?

thanks for reading:)

Hi Lynford

I started running my business when I was very young too! Never regretted a single day but I did (and sometimes still do!) experience people not taking me seriously because of my age. At the end of the day it makes no difference how old you are but some people will think there is. This will also affect your confidence a little bit which is quite understandable.

First thing's first.

You need to FEEL older. This is purely a state of mind. Believe in yourself and head out with a positive mindset. Don't think about how old you are - completely forget about this. Think about how professional you are and people will do the same. This part will become easier with time, ironically.

What do you wear when you go canvassing? Some people wear jeans and t shirt which is fine. However, you may need to up the game a little bit so consider a smart shirt and trousers. Don't go out wearing a suit as you'll just feel like a numpty. A smartly ironed shirt and trousers with polished shoes and you'll look very pro. Avoid a tie though as you don't want to look too smart.

Have you got business cards? If not, get some. These will look good and you'll feel more professional too.

hi Iain

thanks for the reply. I will take the feeling older part into matter and will put it into practice. When I go canvasing I wear a smart shirt and trousers and no tie like you said. I have leaflets but no business cards. I will get some done by vista print in the next day or so.

thanks for the advice.

I know the feeling! Im 22 and people still dont take me serious. I really gets on my nerves some times. The older people love it though, I dont know what it is. They all think im awesome for having my own business and trying to make something of my life. The people my ages about 20-30 seem okay with it too, some thought I was stupid and I wouldnt make it work a few month later Im sat here laughing at them all now lol hahaha.

Its the middle aged people that seem to to think its a crime for a young person to try make something for him self. I think they forget im still at the age where I would have no problem throwing eggs at there windows while running away laughing lol

Welcome to the forum

Dont worry about age mate age is just a number.... aslong as your professional mate that is all that matters

I just turned 22 /emoticons/smile.png And im a young lad like u aswell mate but i think people think when they see us young lads doing somethign they think good of us /emoticons/smile.png Cos were making something out of our lifes mate.... thats how others see it /emoticons/smile.png/emoticons/tongue.png

Plus when i go canvassing i dont wear smart clothes.. i just dress casually /emoticons/smile.png Just a pair of joggers and a hoody or jacket /emoticons/smile.png simple as that /emoticons/tongue.png lol

Hi Lynford

I started running my business when I was very young too! Never regretted a single day but I did (and sometimes still do!) experience people not taking me seriously because of my age. At the end of the day it makes no difference how old you are but some people will think there is. This will also affect your confidence a little bit which is quite understandable.

First thing's first.

You need to FEEL older. This is purely a state of mind. Believe in yourself and head out with a positive mindset. Don't think about how old you are - completely forget about this. Think about how professional you are and people will do the same. This part will become easier with time, ironically.

What do you wear when you go canvassing? Some people wear jeans and t shirt which is fine. However, you may need to up the game a little bit so consider a smart shirt and trousers. Don't go out wearing a suit as you'll just feel like a numpty. A smartly ironed shirt and trousers with polished shoes and you'll look very pro. Avoid a tie though as you don't want to look too smart.

Have you got business cards? If not, get some. These will look good and you'll feel more professional too.
I'm in agreement with Iain there but think maybe get a black polo and have your business name printed on it, wear black trousers as well and you'll look and feel the part.
Welcome to the forum mate..

Welcome to the forum

Dont worry about age mate age is just a number.... aslong as your professional mate that is all that matters

I just turned 22 /emoticons/smile.png And im a young lad like u aswell mate but i think people think when they see us young lads doing somethign they think good of us /emoticons/smile.png Cos were making something out of our lifes mate.... thats how others see it /emoticons/smile.png/emoticons/tongue.png

Plus when i go canvassing i dont wear smart clothes.. i just dress casually /emoticons/smile.png Just a pair of joggers and a hoody or jacket /emoticons/smile.png simple as that /emoticons/tongue.png lol
My guess is H with all the canvassing you've said you've done which apparently is a lot, if you wore something a bit smarter than joggers and a hoodie you'd have a lot more customers than you do now.
Just a thought.

My guess is H with all the canvassing you've said you've done which apparently is a lot, if you wore something a bit smarter than joggers and a hoodie you'd have a lot more customers than you do now.

Just a thought.
U think mate ? Cos sometimes i would wear my signed up hoody /emoticons/smile.png and its not a big difference to be honest... most people have a cleaner anyway /emoticons/smile.png but if they want one i dont think theyll say no just cosa my hoody /emoticons/smile.png

I mean its a nice smart adidas hoody... with casual joggers /emoticons/smile.png I look just casual /emoticons/smile.png Not scruffy or smart /emoticons/smile.png

U think mate ? Cos sometimes i would wear my signed up hoody /emoticons/smile.png and its not a big difference to be honest... most people have a cleaner anyway /emoticons/smile.png but if they want one i dont think theyll say no just cosa my hoody /emoticons/smile.png

I mean its a nice smart adidas hoody... with casual joggers /emoticons/smile.png I look just casual /emoticons/smile.png Not scruffy or smart /emoticons/smile.png
It looks more professional though

it does mate but i remember 1 day when i wore a smart casual knitwear t shirt with nice perfume on and i picked up 11 customers in 1 and a half hours /emoticons/tongue.png/emoticons/wink.png lol

i think the more sexy u look the more customers u get /emoticons/wink.png lmaooo

Like I said H, just a thought. If I had 3 windie canvassers at my door, one suited, one joggered with a hoodie and one smart trousers with logo'd polo I'd go with the last one.

It's the young lad with a hoodie thing, no offence meant by it but there's a stigma attached.

i see /emoticons/smile.png i dont wear a hoody much mainly t shirts /emoticons/tongue.png but hoodies are coming along the way as its getting colder

id listen to dodger h hes right about the hoodie stigma a lot of people are very judgemental and the money people would not want you working on their property dressed like that as they are all about image , i personally wouldnt dream of wearing a hoddie as i know its sending out a bad image , i wear polos and got a few fleeces printed up also , if you want your business to be appealing to all consider this

Its the middle aged people that seem to to think its a crime for a young person to try make something for him self.
Sounds like jealousy.

They are totes jel!

Hi Lynford,

I started at the age of 18 and when i went canvassing i tried to be polite, look them in the eye and give them the impression that you want to help them and you will be reliable.

Dont be afraid to ask questions to the householder even if they are not interested because there is most probably be a reason, like they might have had a bad experience from their last window cleaner so you might be able to persuade them otherwise.

All the best mate,

Ross

Hi Lynford,

I started at the age of 18 and when i went canvassing i tried to be polite, look them in the eye and give them the impression that you want to help them and you will be reliable.

Dont be afraid to ask questions to the householder even if they are not interested because there is most probably be a reason, like they might have had a bad experience from their last window cleaner so you might be able to persuade them otherwise.

All the best mate,

Ross
Ye thats true mate /emoticons/smile.png

Back