looking for a smoother fine weave micro fibre

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by mrtaytay, Feb 22, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I have spent the whole of today cleaning leaded windows. My practice is to applicate the windows, squeegee, wipe off the water with one fine weave micro fibre and then buff up with another fine weave. I have noticed that some of the fine weave micro fibres that I have recently purchased from paragon and unger dont glide easily across the glass.....they seem to stick and have friction.Some of the older micros that I have glide so easily across the windows which makes cleaning leaded windows so much easier. I wash them all the same way, in the washing machine with washing powder.....I know fabric conditioner is a no no.

Does anyone know of a fine weave micro that slides and glides across the glass with ease.

Advertisement
  2. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

3. mufcglen

mufcglen Well-Known Member

The way I do leaded now is a damp micro then a dry micro and finally a polish with either a dry scrim or a fine micro like the unger but found wilkinsons where selling some that almost the same but cheaper!

4. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Cheers tuffers. I might give them a go. I brought an unger premium cloth from the windowclean centre a few weeks ago. Its no good for buffing up as it seems to stick to the glass....maybe a few more washes will bed it in. I seem to recall sometime ago on this forum that someone was raving about vikan premium micros.

5. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

There are a few different ways when it comes to leaded windows. It was a real pain doing them yesterday as it was windy and the sunshine was quite warm which meant they were drying up quicker than I was mopping them up with the micro. Its so easy to leave them with streaks/marks, if you are not careful.

6. norm

norm Grand Master

try buffing with dry scrim that has been washed with no washing powder

7. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Must admit norm, I have never used a scrim. I have a couple of fine weave micros that glide smoothly over the glass. I am just concerned that should I lose these (and I am good at losing bits of kit!) then I will be left with the fine weaves that arent acting as they should.

8. mufcglen

i had that the other day where the sun dried the dampness off but i found it helped as the dry micro took all the dirt off and polished with a clean dry scrim left them perfect.
    i used to use the applicator and squeegee but found with leaded windows the raised lead just holds too much water that the squeegee doesnt get too making it take longer to dry the window before i could finally polish it if needed!

9. norm

norm Grand Master

try the scrim and I think you will be pleasantly suprised mate

10. mufcglen

i agree norm, i struggled with my scrims at first but worked out to wash them on hot with no tablets or powder etc then rough them up while theyre drying so theyre nice and soft when dry, i fold the big ones up into a small square and use that for polishing off and they work a treat.

Advertisement