Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Looking for a waterproof coat

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I use a decathlon coat that I bought about 15 years ago before I started window cleaning. It's been absolutely brilliant, there is no lining so it's very thin but it's windproof so it actually does a good job at keeping the cold out. I've worn it in torrential rain where my caps got soaked through and my feet and shorts are soaking, but taken off the coat to find my t-shirt is dry. The arms get wet when it's torrential rain but that just means it's my skin getting wet (wearing a t-shirt underneath).

I used to cycle to work and got it for cycling originally and used it for a couple of years cycling to work in all weathers. I've not checked decathlon since so I don't know whether what range they sell now... but at the time they had jackets in multiple departments like cycling, fishing, running, hiking, sailing etc. I checked all the coats in every department, the cycling ones were not up to the job, I could tell that they wouldn't keep me dry, similar story with the other departments, then I thought about which activity would you need a proper waterproof jacket? Sailing... the sailing section had better rated jackets, same price as the cycling but they had a much better rating for wind resistance and water resistance.

So check I'd check out the sailing section and see what they have. I think the one I've got will last me till the day I die so I won't need anything else. When it gets cold I just where a thin thermal jumper underneath it.
Thanks, great reply. Yes the one I’ve linked above is sailing. decathlon tend to not have too bad products, the bikes have, scooters etc have all been rather good value. I’ll go check them out tomorrow.

I have a Dover jacket, in the wet the water gets channeled down into your trouser pockets.
Oh and the waterproofing doesn't matter- you get wet anyway from the inside, from sweating!
I’ll give that a miss then!

Anyone tried this:

I’ll give that a miss then!

Anyone tried this:

I have no experience in the jacket you linked to but I believe 3L (layer) is significantly better than a 2L jacket.

I have no experience in the jacket you linked to but I believe 3L (layer) is significantly better than a 2L jacket.
It is however it’s sooo bloody expensive compared to 2L. Plus it’s rather limited in what’s available in the 3L Gore-Tex Pro.

I’ve found this which seems to be a good price for my size but it’s still a chunk of money:

From my research you can get “Standard” Gore-Tex in 2 & 3 Layer and Gore-Tex Pro which is 3 Layer. Standard Gore-Tex 3L is cheaper than the Pro.

Im not sure how the standard 3L sounds compared to the Pro because I did look at a Pro coat and it sounded like a crisp packet ?

I wonder if something like this would be a good happy medium, price vs performance. It’s 3 Layer Gore-Tex

Maybe a different tactic would be have a couple of cheaper jackets that you can swap out if you start getting wet? Something like this: Men's Hiking Lightweight Waterproof Jacket MH900 at £110 says it can withstand 25,000cm water column and 3 hours of 30cm rain. So maybe not long enough for a full day but being able to put on a nice dry jacket after lunch might work plus it's mega breathable.
I have to say I haven't tried this jacket as I just use a pole shirt (or base layer), sweatshirt, then a softshell jacket and if it starts leaking and I'm getting wet I call it a day (as long as the forecast (Hyper Local app) says it's on for the day.
Also have you had a search on here as winter/waterproof jackets have been discussed a bit so you might find some info.

You need more than one!I have 3 goretex jackets and used all 3 yesterday(north face and bergaus)as it rained constantly all day.
Yes I think you’re right! I’m tempted to try the decathlon one someone linked above, maybe grab a couple if they are ok. Decathlon have generally ok gear from what I’ve used in the past. Rocking a T-shirt today so it’s not been on my mind ?

This is similar to what I have but mine is blue and grey Elka Sønderby Stellar Blue Rain Jacket but I only paid abot £30 for mine years ago
Elka_Sonderby_Stellar_Blue_Rain_Jacket-1_1024x1024.jpg

Latest Posts

Back