Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Helping the competition.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

Good morning

I class anyone who cleans windows as competition. Whether they live 1 mile away or a 100. Nobody knows the future. A guy i am helping in Scotland may expand to Bedfordshire!

It's in my nature to help to people because of a couple of reasons;

1. I learn from talking to people, a simple comment may spark off an idea in my head.

2. Karma, what goes around comes around.

3. I like the sound of my own voice.

4. It helps my ego.

Take the above as what you will. People who have met me and know me know the real Damo and what i will do to help anyone who i feel deserves it.

Now what i won't accept is being treated like a mug. When somebody asks for advice, help and then a favour i feel i can help. I am not going to go into naming and shaming but when somebody LIFTS your whole website and copies every page they want it kinda gets my back up. They asked to "borrow" some content which i said was fine but i explained to put a spin on it and re write it. What i didn't expect was the town names to be changed and that was it.

The unlucky part of this is for thief. I have given him a warning and we have talked. He has gone past the deadline and nothing has changed. I explained from the beginning what my father subscribes to. So this person can expect a take down notice and whatever this plagiarism company feels they can pursue.

I am a genuine helpful guy and i do actually know a thing or two ya know! Like i said i wont be treated like a mug.

Bring an umbrella mate, as a **** storm is coming your way. :mad:

@Damo, that sounds like a cr#p situation. There are some people out there in life that take take take and never think or do for themselves and occasionally a nice guy like you gets taken advantage of. i just hope karma swings round in your favour more often than not cos your a decent bloke and for the other guy he geta caught out freeloading one day. Keep positive though mate more people are like you and appreciate you than not

A local competitor copied some of my site a few years back and then the site came down and his new went up.

I used to pass work to him all the time as he needed the work. He has re done his site again and after skimming through he's done it again what's annoying is because he has lifted it from my site and others. You can tell what's been copied as the text is formatted and grey instead of black.

I am just gathering all the text he has copied and then that's it no more mr nice guy.

My new site is due to go live in Jan and I cannot wait as there is some nasty surprises in store for copyright thieves.

some people just take the **** ive just had this from a guy who just cant help him self im like u demo ill help any one but cross me and u will get sod all and ill cut ties being mr nice has its draw backs as some people see it as weekness and just take the **** trouble is i give second and thurd chances befor i realise im just a mug to them>/emoticons/sad.png(

That's the thing with us forum guys who have been here ages

We are here as we like to help when possible

Unfortunately not everyone is like us and like to just take what they can in life

I will help anyone even to the point i helped a guy who is on here @Adams0211 who is basically my main competition round here

We are friends though and if one of us needs a hand or a lend of a ladder/ubik/advice etc we will help each other out..enough houses to go round here so why not get on

Although some other guys round here would get nothing as they don't play the game

Well part of 2017 plans are the end of of 'peace love and happiness man'

I have passed loads of work along over time and get the standard 'cheers mate, I owe you a pint' well in some cases I could drown this forum twice over and still have a months drinks left over if they paid up. To date, not even a coke. (Not that I ever asked for owt but if your gonna offer 'tokens' then PAY UP)

Something else that irritates is the manner in which some members feel they can 'demand' information.

Green Pro, tell me how to do this, tell me how to do that etc..... no pelase or thank you.... and I was of the generation that said please and thank you or learnt to duck real fast.

The information shared by all on here is voluntary and done outa kindness and a sense of communnity but as @Damo has expressed in the past there are getting too many that just seem to take and take with no return. That's not community, that's leaching. Yes we all got to start somewhere but it dont kill to do so with a please.

The two things that I believe @Damo and I share in common is willingness to help those that deserve and an insanely intimate knowledge of our individual businesses with the ability to tell you the stats right off the bat.

Well one of my stats is spending some 7 hours a week reading the material on here (as a mod I read every single thread)

Well I will still be modding checking the peace is being kept but will be posting nowhere near the content I have this year. That will free up a day a month at least to focus on growing the business, not just talk about it.

Anyhow. Rant over. Good post @Damo :thumbsup:

All your advice is appreciated, lots of thank yous to all. Sorry to hear you have been messed about Damo. I dont have a website yet, so not guilty.

Got to admit all you guys that have posted on this thread I have learned a lot from and many more members from here and even with my limited knowledge I wouldn't hesitate to share and help where I can. I truly believe what goes round comes and with more experience I would like to hope I can give members some sound advice.

He'll get penalised from Google for duplicate content if it's copied word for word. If you have a Wordpress site then you can get loads of free plugins that disable right click. It cuts down on plagiarism because they can't copy and paste they have to actually physically type it word for word. Most can't be bothered.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

He'll get penalised from Google for duplicate content if it's copied word for word. If you have a Wordpress site then you can get loads of free plugins that disable right click. It cuts down on plagiarism because they can't copy and paste they have to actually physically type it word for word. Most can't be bothered.

That is true but anyone who knows a bit about how websites work can take the text from the page source code anyway

That's as easy as copying it from a site into notepad then onto your site. Viola it's stripped. However Google should still give the Google juice to the original site whether any code is left or not. If their both in different places it shouldn't be a problem. It is very annoying though.

well just waiting for Green to tell me how to start a website for nothing:whistle: dont worry i will buy you a beer mate :rofl:

we will wait till January though, as i hear there is some pretty good content to be copied from Damo's website after that :rofl::rofl::rofl:

nah in all seriousness that is a joke, and a **** take, as you said damo you believe in Karma so i hope this so 'n so get there comeuppance:mad:

have a local competitor of sorts (friendly sometimes on the same jobs) he offers a £10 reward for each customer who spends over a £1000 you recommend, currently i have passed on a lady who phoned at 3 in the morning and another who locks you in the bedroom while you work.

greenhorn what do you mean you get locked in the bedroom, do you offer Xtras also.. what do you have to do to be let out again, something going on here

Was patching plaster then decorating a room and the lady is very ott with security.

so you get in she would lock front door put alarm back on and any room she's not actually in the doors locked.

Defo agree @Paul Gard it's only a matter of time before they run out of creativity , common sense or intelligence.

This is proper bad ethics but they ain't no real threat I'd not think. Would boil my blood too,luckily here where I am is the stone age however: so websites are a rarity never mind stealing stuff for them.

I can't believe how many of us from 1 small town are on here now

Since another local popped up on here last night that is 4 of us from a town 12 miles circumference

Back