Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking Of Joining In.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So, I went canvassing today...I wanted to go yesterday but it snowed hard all day. I decided to start at the start of my old route. I got out the car and saw a woman walking out of a nearby street so, I asked her if she knew if there's a WC that does the street. 'Oh yes' she said and then mentioned some firm that comes round but, she wasn't sure if they do the street I actually wanted to canvas. Oh well, I'll try anyway I thought.

This paticular street has a drive that accesses the back of the houses so, I walked along to view the backs. These are quite small houses. 1 front top window and 1 front bottom, then 2 rear tops and 2 rear bottoms. So I decided on charging 4 quid for the basic.

I took a breath and knocked the first door...no answer...I sort of felt slightly relieved lol. Knocked the 2nd and 3rd....still no answer. The 4th answered and I explained 'I'm trying to start a window cleaning round along the street and wondered if you'd be interested'. He answered 'nah mate, I've got one'. Damn it I thought...but then he went on to explain his guitar tutors son does his or something. So no regular cleaner I asked. He said 'I've lived here 9 years and never seen one'.

Ahh..so all is not lost. He asked how much I charge...I told him 4 quid and then he said 'well giz your phone number and I'll let you know'. He then went on to explain that I should be able to pick a few up further along. So I knocked the next door. 'How much?' they had a porch so I said £5...ok they said...I was delighted, my first customer. I knocked the next door....'how much?' 4 quid I said...I'll give you 5 she said. I knocked a total of 19 doors...got 11 no answers, 3 no thanks and 4 yes please's and 2 maybe's. Then I had to give up as I had to be somewhere else.

So, not a bad start I reckon. I really wanted to go back to knock the 'no answers' tonight but, instead I decided to go and buy my ladders as I've told my new customers I'm looking to start next week. I want to move further up the street tomorrow and hope to gain a few more. If I can get a total of 10 customers by the time I start next week, I'll be happy cause, at least I'll be out there /emoticons/smile.png

Mart.

Any updates Mart?

Just an FYI, I think a lot of us work to the formula £1 per window. Conservatorys are about a fiver but divide them up into 'blocks' of what you'd consider fair for a pound and do it that way. If someone says a price is too expensive then just say "ok, what sort of figure did *you* have in mind". If it's reasonable, go for it, if not try to meet in middle, still nothing leave em' for some other poor sod! /emoticons/smile.png

But yeah good start fella and keep us updated!

Cheers kips...

Didn't have much time today in the end...had to pop over to see the old man. Then I went and bought a BOAB, a belt, a 10" channel and a microfibre. I'm just about set to go now I think.

Tonight, I managed to knock a couple of the 'not in's from yesterday but didn't get anything other than a 'hmm...maybe in a couple of months when the weather picks up'.....so, I think I'll just flyer the rest.

I've got another area I'm intending to canvas on Monday now, other than that, I'll start Tuesday(my intended start) with the few I've got and then get serious with the canvassing there after.

Thanks again for the help/info bud...

Mart.

well done /emoticons/biggrin.png you will pick up more work when peeps see you working /emoticons/biggrin.png

I round I bought had 30 fortnighly custys now upto 50 since last aug just peeps seeing me go round regular , I do the rounds different ways so different peeps see me working ....keep at it mate

Well, I've been up my ladders for the first time today(practising on my own windows). It's the first time I've been up a ladder in over 20 years and I have to admit, I was very nervous up there. I really struggled to squeegee and of course, I hadn't realised that I'm going to have to learn to use my left hand up there too. I was leaving loads of water on the glass as I've only just managed to learn the technique at ground level. Not being able to move my body around up there, made squeegeeing a nightmare lol but, once I went round with my microfibre, I left the windwos looking clean.

The problem I found, is just how much tighter it is when you're pressed up against the windowsill. Holding on for shear life with one hand, whilst trying to then swap the mop/squeegee to the other hand. I started considering using my old technique of just using cloths up there and only squeegee the bottoms as it's alot easier than having to keep swaping mop/squeegee/cloth etc. It was only once I had finished that I suddenly realised that perhaps while up the ladder, I should just try using simple down pulls rather than fanning...at least until I'm more comfortable. How did you guys cope when you first started ?

And then there's the holes my ladder was making in the lawn from me trying different ladder angles. I can't dig holes like this in my customers lawns...I really need to sort something out here....maybe I should get a couple of those ladder mats...can you buy them individually ? I'm totally skint now after everything I've bought and yet, I still need a water container, a scraper, another microfibre and some spare rubber.

Mart.

Well, I've been up my ladders for the first time today(practising on my own windows). It's the first time I've been up a ladder in over 20 years and I have to admit, I was very nervous up there. I really struggled to squeegee and of course, I hadn't realised that I'm going to have to learn to use my left hand up there too. I was leaving loads of water on the glass as I've only just managed to learn the technique at ground level. Not being able to move my body around up there, made squeegeeing a nightmare lol but, once I went round with my microfibre, I left the windwos looking clean.
The problem I found, is just how much tighter it is when you're pressed up against the windowsill. Holding on for shear life with one hand, whilst trying to then swap the mop/squeegee to the other hand. I started considering using my old technique of just using cloths up there and only squeegee the bottoms as it's alot easier than having to keep swaping mop/squeegee/cloth etc. It was only once I had finished that I suddenly realised that perhaps while up the ladder, I should just try using simple down pulls rather than fanning...at least until I'm more comfortable. How did you guys cope when you first started ?

And then there's the holes my ladder was making in the lawn from me trying different ladder angles. I can't dig holes like this in my customers lawns...I really need to sort something out here....maybe I should get a couple of those ladder mats...can you buy them individually ? I'm totally skint now after everything I've bought and yet, I still need a water container, a scraper, another microfibre and some spare rubber.

Mart.
If you only have a few jobs for now, get a cheap spray bottle 99p, make a mix of soap and water and use it to keep your mop wet.
If you leave the windows clean it doesn`t matter how you do them upstairs, until your comfortable, if you have an old rubber mat cut it down to the size of your ladder foot print and this will stop it sinking into the grass whilst still being fairly secure..

hope this helps.....

Make sure your ladder is directly under the sill, if you buy Ladder Mits that go on the top of the ladder these will help the ladder stay to the wall, especially under the sill(straight under the sill)

Occacasionally if you need to lean the ladder on the sill, only do this with ladder mits, defianatly life saver, would not advise doing that without the mitts tho.

When I first started out, i window cleaned with my right hand and with my left hand holding onto dear life on the sill, now I am more comfortable on a ladder.

But always like to hold onto the sill for safety though..

My knees are killing me.

So, I started my tiny round today. I really did struggle too. I'm really finding it fiddly using a squeegee(which people now call 'traditional') up a ladder. It's all the tool and hand swapping that is slowing me down.

Say I have a window with two wide panes, I have to climb ladder, reach for mop from BOAB, mop the glass then swap the mop to my left hand whilst being pressed up against the windowsill and trying to keep one hand on the ladder or sill, mop the left window, swap back to my right hand and back to BOAB, reach for squeegee, and clean right glass, swap to left hand, clean glass, swap back to right hand and back to belt, take wet cloth from left side pouch and wipe sill swapping hands again, then back to left for pouch, take dry cloth and detail right glass, swap to left and detail glass, then back to right and into pouch.

In the old days, I rinse cloth into bucket, climb ladder, cleaned right glass, swapped to left. clean left glass, throw cloth over shoulder and reach to back pocket for dry cloth, shine right, shine left and done. I really am considering going back to this at least for tops because today was a nightmare. I know I would speed up but, I just can't help thinking that it's still too fiddly for top of the ladder work and...my knees are killing me.

And what's with all this black rubbish that's coming out of the seals lol. Only rich people had upvc windows when I was cleaning windows 25 years ago. Back then it was glass and putty and it was a breeze...now it's plastic and gunk. The first house wasn't so bad but the next two, I got my detailing cloth covered in it and I was getting it all over the bloody frames and struggling to remove it. I found that I needed to not press so hard with my fingers in the cloth which helped a little but christ...it didn't half slow me down. I was taking on average, 45 minutes per house....for a poxy 5 quid. Yea, I think I under priced too but these are small houses and back in the day, I would do these in 20 minutes flat with cloths.

Yep, and I fell for the old knackered knees against the rungs trick. I remember this from the two previous times I've setup and know I have to instruct myself to stop leaning against the rungs but, it's hard on day one with the old 'mould yourself to the ladder for fear of falling off' syndrome and now my knees are killing me. BOAB didn't help either for everytime I went on a walk, it would constantly remind me it's there as it took another swing at my very sore knee. At that point, I was spitting feathers and saying to myself....I ain't enjoying this at all. Of course now I've sat and reflected over a couple of episodes of 'the crystal maze' courtesy of youtube and a swig of lager....of course I enjoyed it...my knees are killing me though /emoticons/smile.png

Mart.

Oh dear sounds like ya had a bugger if a day mate. Don't worry bout that black stuff it won't happen after 1-2 cleans and the swapping will be second nature once ya can whizz the mop away and grab squeegee without having to think. It'll come mate so don't give up on the squeegee just yet and keep on enjoying it.

You need a bit of training fella,i use to work for a firm and train people up to a high standard and it could take up to three months to get up to speed and quality so hang in there.if you were near me I'd help you out.even a couple of hours might help.if your using ladders you need a ladder point but they are a bit of money,when your sorted for finance get one,it will help you no end and look more professional unlike standard ladder with mits .

Just keep practicing with your tools and keep it simple,you will get there,are you in Essex at all because I'd spend a couple of hours with you as some people are telling you to much information.

Thanks for the encouragement lads.

Adyspurs...you are a gent mate...no I'm in Wolves but, thanks for the offer.

I would really like more info on this black gunge really, I'm looking to buy a pole for those difficult windows and would like to convert to using it for tops and eventually doing away with the ladders altogether apart from first cleans etc when I think it's important to get up close but, I'm worried about dragging this black stuff all over the windowsill and not being able to see it from ground level.

Was I just unfortunate to have a couple of houses that were bad for it or, am I likely to get it all the time now that most windows I see are the same upvc type with black seals ? I noticed it abit on my own windows when I was practising and they were fitted about 6 years ago and have been cleaned once a month by my own WC ever since. I've read a couple of other threads where new WC's have asked about it but, I sort of get the impression that it's not really much of a problem but, for me, it was a major problem and something that made me feel like...'oh windows can't be cleaned these days thanks to this stupid black seal'....I felt like the nation has been conned like, yeah fit these great looking plastic windows but, we won't bother to tell you that they can't be cleaned lol.

The only problem I had last time I did this job was bird muck but now, from what I've seen so far, this is really gonna spoil my day. I've read a few times to leave a gap from the seal when soaping the glass but, for me, it's when squeegeeing the glass, the water running onto the bottom seal and then when I wipe the bottom of the frame to remove this dirty water, that's when I'm suddenly seeing a streak of black gunk spread out across the frame and as I say, often it won't then wipe off. Is there anything...any cleaner I can use to wipe if off if I should mark the frame in such a way that I'm worried the customer is gonna ask 'what the hell have you done to my window frames ?'

Ps...I'm not too sure what a ladder point is or, how it helps...

pps...how on earth do I give reputaion for a post ?...whenever I click on it, it says 'no reputation has been given for this post' but, I don't want to know that...I want to give it.

Mart.

Mart you'll be fine mate,you sound keen mate.some upvc windows unfortunately do this but after a couple of cleans iy will stop.try not to wet windows up to much and give your applicator a squeeze.

When I use to train people up I didn't put pressure on them and you must put not try to put to much pressure in yourself mate.try soap national for a ladder point,by this i mean Ramsay ladder,some people don't like them but if your shaky up ladder i find people over the years get over this when they use them.when i was 16 i was shaky and using them now 34 and do it with my eyes shut.i want you to do well mart and not promising anything but would like to show you when i get a chance.would like to just spend a couple of hours,you will get that lucky break mate ,chin up,don't give up and when things are bad always something good around the corner.

Thanks for the encouragement lads.Adyspurs...you are a gent mate...no I'm in Wolves but, thanks for the offer.

I would really like more info on this black gunge really, I'm looking to buy a pole for those difficult windows and would like to convert to using it for tops and eventually doing away with the ladders altogether apart from first cleans etc when I think it's important to get up close but, I'm worried about dragging this black stuff all over the windowsill and not being able to see it from ground level.

Was I just unfortunate to have a couple of houses that were bad for it or, am I likely to get it all the time now that most windows I see are the same upvc type with black seals ? I noticed it abit on my own windows when I was practising and they were fitted about 6 years ago and have been cleaned once a month by my own WC ever since. I've read a couple of other threads where new WC's have asked about it but, I sort of get the impression that it's not really much of a problem but, for me, it was a major problem and something that made me feel like...'oh windows can't be cleaned these days thanks to this stupid black seal'....I felt like the nation has been conned like, yeah fit these great looking plastic windows but, we won't bother to tell you that they can't be cleaned lol.

The only problem I had last time I did this job was bird muck but now, from what I've seen so far, this is really gonna spoil my day. I've read a few times to leave a gap from the seal when soaping the glass but, for me, it's when squeegeeing the glass, the water running onto the bottom seal and then when I wipe the bottom of the frame to remove this dirty water, that's when I'm suddenly seeing a streak of black gunk spread out across the frame and as I say, often it won't then wipe off. Is there anything...any cleaner I can use to wipe if off if I should mark the frame in such a way that I'm worried the customer is gonna ask 'what the hell have you done to my window frames ?'

Ps...I'm not too sure what a ladder point is or, how it helps...

pps...how on earth do I give reputaion for a post ?...whenever I click on it, it says 'no reputation has been given for this post' but, I don't want to know that...I want to give it.

Mart.
Green arrow next to it, click that /emoticons/wink.png

Mart - don't worry mate, these are all issues we all had when we started.

The gunk will most likley not be there next or be minimal.

I have one of those "poles" its a harris pole from B&Q for £15, best money i ever spend, don't even need ladders for first cleans unless they are really bad. The only thin i would say is use one a wagtail on the end not a cheapo twist round type all in one squeege and blade,

If you having issues squeeging in itself then try adding a slposh of vinegar (if you dont already), it may not look any less streaky, but when it dries the streaks vanish /emoticons/smile.png

hope it helps /emoticons/smile.png

Cheers lads...

Adyspurs...I'm not really that shaky on the ladders mate, I spent 3 years as a windy but, that was 20 odd years ago. My post was basically just abit of fun aimed at day one back up there really and how I need to relearn it all and throw all of the bad habits away again. It's also sort of funny, having the same painful knees I had all those years ago in the early days before I drummed it into myself to stop leaning on the ladder...and now I have to do it again...handling all these tools up the ladder though, is still so much more complicated than the two cloths I used to take up there before.

I don't think my squeegee technique is too bad though...I actually felt I mastered the basic fan after just a couple of hours on my own windows and I put that down to my wc experience....it's a different tool but, the idea is the same and that's to make that glass sparkle. I've learnt so much from my constant addiction to youtubing the art over the passed few weeks. But I would really like to beat that bloody black gunk...it's a disgusting downside to upvc windows and would still like to know of something I can use to remove it when it does get on the frame...if anyone can advise ?

------------------

Southwest....are you saying you use the pole for tops and don't use ladders unless difficult first clean etc ?

Because that's what I'm looking to do, I ain't got the money for a wagtail yet but, that's the direction I want to go eventually. I'm off to B&Q tomorrow to get an Harris..will my applicator and ergotec squeegee fit straight to the end of this or, do I need one of those unger cone thingymajigs ? I'm new to all these gadgets. I know it will mean lowering and swapping tools over etc but, I'll have the weekend to practise it on my own top windows so, will it do for now if I start introducing it until I can buy a Wagtail ?

Thanks again to everyone that's contributed to this thread and have made me feel welcome....

Mart.

So anyway....I bought an Harris pole today, I can't believe how light and how high it can reach. Fully extended, I can hold it above my head right at the base with ease....I really thought it would be heavier than this. I can see by just extending the top section. I can easily reach the top window frame of my top windows,

But yes, my mop n squeegee don't fit on well, they will push on but, will fall off easy enough but, I might have a mess with it on my own windows tomorrow anyway. I can't buy the unger cone and/or angle adapter until Monday now as the cleaningwarehouse is closed till then /emoticons/sad.png ...I really should have bought these yesterday but, without the relevant info, I had no idea what I needed.

Again guys, I know the wagtail is best for pole work but, would I still be able to ,manage with my 10" ergotec squeegee for now or, would I be leaving water or lines on the glass....how is best to wipe the windowsill afterwards...just stick a scrim on the end of the pole and wipe it that way ?

Thanks...

Mart.

I'll let some 1 that knows what they on about answer ur other questions but U wanna be using some sort of soak up cloth for wiping sill (towel for me) and just use ur scrims for detailing. I didn't learn that for a while and couldn't understand why I was using 3 scrims per house lol

You'll defo need the cone and angle adapter mart, makes life a lot easier. I'd advise the wagtail too, check out mywagga on youtube, I learned a lot from him.

Latest Posts

Back