Lucky to be alive

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by mark m, Nov 26, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mark m

mark m Hero

A person yesterday was electrocuted and was lucky to be alive because he was using a carbon pole the reason he did not die was he had a reach-it pole which has a poleskin at the end basically rubber end section over the carbon pole I am not a lover of reach-it heavy poles and very expensive but I had a little chat with perry yesterday which was a big deal because I think he is a bit of a **** anyway he is going to make them for all poles so I will let you know when they are out

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. shazzy692002

Apparently his gloves helped to.

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Shocking :D

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

#4 Smurf, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    What was that numpty chap doing waving a carbon pole about by high voltage cable anyway?o_O

Has anyone got a link so I can read more about the incident please.

5. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

Am not sure there is an article about it but it happened to one of our friends over on the window cleaning page....(facebook page)

6. Alex Gardiner

Alex Gardiner Forum Addict
    Supplier

Glad the chap is OK and the gloves and neoprene skin worked.

A pole-skin would not be needed on a Gardiner pole as the bottom section of each pole and every extension has an insulated layer. This has been tested over the last few years by two of our clients who allowed their carbon pole to hit a high-voltage line. The poles blew-up and melted but the users each time were fine - neither were wearing gloves.

Personally I would not recommend trying it out (!) as all you need is to have the presence of water down the outside of the pole (such as on a rainy day) and it could be a different story regardless of the material the pole is insulated with.

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I'm aware of deaths in the other countries whereby window cleaners using wfp's touch power lines and think it's only a matter of time that someone in the UK sadly gets killed too.

8. mark m

mark m Hero

I never new that Alex I thought because it was a carbon pole it was a electrical conductor more reach it toilet then I wonder why I listen sometimes I thought the doughnut had a good idea:mad:

9. Andykarlaxxx

Andykarlaxxx Forum Addict

Lmao who the hell is crazy enough to do that test for u alex?! How much did u have to pay them

10. Alex Gardiner

Alex Gardiner Forum Addict
    Supplier

:)

I did not ask anyone to do this - it happened during standard window cleaning to two of our clients on completely separate occasions about 6 months apart. They were walking around with an SLX pole extended and went across high-voltage power lines!

One of the guys is a friend who lives fairly local to me. The top of the carbon pole basically exploded outwards from the force and the brush fell off in a burning mess. He was completely unharmed and only realised what had happened when he looked up. He tells the story with great relish now although at the time he was not so pleased with himself.

(BTW my wife thinks your avatar is really cute)

Advertisement