Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial window cleaning and "trials"

Damo

Has anyone been asked to trial your services before?

Recently completed a trial and gained the contract. I thought it was a bit fishy at first but having now signed the contract i know it was ok.

If a domestic customer wants to "trial" our services i know what that means lol! They want a one off!

Well today we've had another commercial customer wanting to trial our services?

Is this a new thing or is it something the exists in the commercial world? 

We did very little commercial work but i have to say these last few months we've really been picking up lots all over the place. I think it must be the vans and new graphics as domestic customers are saying do you only do commercial lol? 

TIA

No, it’s fairly common where there’s contracts involved. Used to get sent all over the shop to do the trial cleans when I worked for one of the nationals.

AS you know Damo I am fully commercial trials are not something I have come across or something I would be interested in.

It is also something I've never herd of

it sounds like when people offer you other work on the pretence of getting a good price.Like dangling a carrot complete the trial well and the jobs yours.

Never heard of a window cleaning trial, personally I would not do a trial   If they want me to clean for them I will quote for the work have a chat with them , then they will know how good I am after the 1st clean. Big commercial work is the cheapest quote wins I am not in to the big contracts anymore 

It’s more quality over price as first place is a precision type company and the second is a quality control testing facility. 

Maybe its just coincidence they have asked for trials so close to each other.

If it’s not the norm I will look out for it in future.  

id run a mile. You run a window cleaning business and they want to “trial” you at your own game. Never heard such a load of tosh in all my life. Sounds like OCD nightmare customer. You dont phone a electrician to come and say “right mate, this is your trial” you trust that he knows his stuff and pay him what he’s after. How they expect anybody to want to work for them with an attitude like that is astonishing

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I have never heard of a window cleaning trial and I would not do that.  If anyone want me to do window cleaning for them I will chat with them and i will tell them which type of cleaning i am going to provide them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. If it's a job that can earn £100's or 1000's a year then why not.

Providing quotes for commercial contracts is a leap of faith anyway as their ain't no guarantees that you will get a job just because you put in a quote.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
how many times you do first cleans windows minging 

do great job takes ages

then they red card you and try and get you two months down line

Had gd one today big restaurant just opened in town,kept a eye on this job being complete.

Any how job finished so I was on the case had gd look around put my price inside out

Place really smart lot of coin spent ,well I did"int get it! place opened really busy with the windows really dirty

.Must say prity pxxed off but hayho you canny get them all and I was"int doing it for nowt

Well the phone went to day they must of been desperate wanting price again

well I happily reminded them that my price was in writing three weeks ago

When I started last year, every time I turned up at a customer after my initial clean, wondered if any would complain of me having left lines etc or cancel.........never happened(thank god) so must be doing a ok job, and of course  confidence in my own ability therefor increases added with experience gained by just doing the job.

As Part Timer commented, we are on trial every clean actually.

When I started last year, every time I turned up at a customer after my initial clean, wondered if any would complain of me having left lines etc or cancel.........never happened(thank god) so must be doing a ok job, and of course  confidence in my own ability therefor increases added with experience gained by just doing the job.

As Part Timer commented, we are on trial every clean actually.
Agree 100%

I'm sure I must have left lines or not closed out properly on occasions.

No one has ever criticised my work since starting last April.

Most customers just want reliability and of course a good job but I don't think they go round examining too closely!

I would be happy to do a trial on a commercial as they can be quite lucrative..you can usually start early and do the job in any weather so worth it in my opinion. Also all who work there are potential new residential customers.

No trials..... full stop. 

On commercial work I have always put in 3 prices.  

One off...  yearly contract (based on however many cleans they want per year) and three yearly contract.  

Most opt for the yearly then stay on. 

With residential (if warranted)  there is the first price clean and then the ongoing monthly clean

Clients hire and fire you on a whim. I try not to look at them as customers anymore just as jobs.  Some jobs you win some you lose. 

Well on Tuesday we do the second building and from what i have been told another company has cleaned it and they were not happy.

So will see what we find on Tuesday.

The second building was cleaned by a trad window cleaner and everything he couldn't reach wasn't cleaned.

Treated it as a first clean and i'm happy to report both sites secured with a 12 month contract.

BOOM

Ive done demos before just basic stuff showing are methods etc but not sure what a trial is sounds bit like your on probation or sumat
Trial for how long etc?did you have to do a full clean?

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Full clean at both places, the second site had been cleaned about 2/3 weeks before we cleaned it last week and the firm/person didn’t do a good job tbh. 

Back