Lynford From Leven (Near Hull)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by 1 clean window cleaning, Sep 10, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. 1 clean window cleaning

HI i'm Lynford, i've just left school and decided to set up my own window cleaning business. My dad runs his own power washing company. He started window cleaning when he left school, so its kind of a family tradition.

I invested £400 of my own money buying equipment and ladders etc etc. I have only been running for over a month and i have 7 bungalows 2 big office blocks and 3 houses and a big pub thats weekly. before i started going out in the public i practiced for 4 months solid on my own home.

The only trouble I'm having is when i go canvassing, people don't take me serious as i'm young and they probably think i don't know what I'm doing. Is there any tips or any tricks that you have when you go canvassing?

thanks for reading:)

Advertisement
  2. Iain

Iain Guru

Hi Lynford

I started running my business when I was very young too! Never regretted a single day but I did (and sometimes still do!) experience people not taking me seriously because of my age. At the end of the day it makes no difference how old you are but some people will think there is. This will also affect your confidence a little bit which is quite understandable.

First thing's first.

You need to FEEL older. This is purely a state of mind. Believe in yourself and head out with a positive mindset. Don't think about how old you are - completely forget about this. Think about how professional you are and people will do the same. This part will become easier with time, ironically.

What do you wear when you go canvassing? Some people wear jeans and t shirt which is fine. However, you may need to up the game a little bit so consider a smart shirt and trousers. Don't go out wearing a suit as you'll just feel like a numpty. A smartly ironed shirt and trousers with polished shoes and you'll look very pro. Avoid a tie though as you don't want to look too smart.

Have you got business cards? If not, get some. These will look good and you'll feel more professional too.

3. 1 clean window cleaning

hi Iain
    thanks for the reply. I will take the feeling older part into matter and will put it into practice. When I go canvasing I wear a smart shirt and trousers and no tie like you said. I have leaflets but no business cards. I will get some done by vista print in the next day or so.
    thanks for the advice.

4. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

I know the feeling! Im 22 and people still dont take me serious. I really gets on my nerves some times. The older people love it though, I dont know what it is. They all think im awesome for having my own business and trying to make something of my life. The people my ages about 20-30 seem okay with it too, some thought I was stupid and I wouldnt make it work a few month later Im sat here laughing at them all now lol hahaha.

Its the middle aged people that seem to to think its a crime for a young person to try make something for him self. I think they forget im still at the age where I would have no problem throwing eggs at there windows while running away laughing lol

5. mark m

mark m Hero

Welcome to the forum

6. Posh

Posh Hero

Greetings.

7. harunh

harunh Legend

Welcome to the forum

Dont worry about age mate age is just a number.... aslong as your professional mate that is all that matters

I just turned 22 :) And im a young lad like u aswell mate but i think people think when they see us young lads doing somethign they think good of us :) Cos were making something out of our lifes mate.... thats how others see it :) :p

Plus when i go canvassing i dont wear smart clothes.. i just dress casually :) Just a pair of joggers and a hoody or jacket :) simple as that :p lol

8. Dodger

Dodger Hero

I'm in agreement with Iain there but think maybe get a black polo and have your business name printed on it, wear black trousers as well and you'll look and feel the part.

Welcome to the forum mate..

9. Dodger

Dodger Hero

My guess is H with all the canvassing you've said you've done which apparently is a lot, if you wore something a bit smarter than joggers and a hoodie you'd have a lot more customers than you do now.

Just a thought.

10. harunh

harunh Legend

U think mate ? Cos sometimes i would wear my signed up hoody :) and its not a big difference to be honest... most people have a cleaner anyway :) but if they want one i dont think theyll say no just cosa my hoody :)

I mean its a nice smart adidas hoody... with casual joggers :) I look just casual :) Not scruffy or smart :)

Advertisement