Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning Window With Metal Bits Between Glass, Best Way?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

buzzing

I am not sure what you call them but the windows I want to call have metal thingees between the glass, just clean with a small squeegee?

I guess you mean Georgian windows with the leading on the glass?

If you can get a squeegee in there then use it, if not many people wet the glass with a wet cloth then scrim/mocrofibre dry.

buzzing - please dont take offense to this, do you not think it might be better for you to start off working for someone else? i know its a learning process but you really dont seem to have any idea and i just feel its a bit much to expect to clean peoples windows for money when you probably wouldnt do as good a job as if they did there own windows themselves? i really dont mean this negatively but i reckon some hands on experience is what you need, see if a local windy will take you out for the odd day, you would learn so much quicker imo

buzzing - please dont take offense to this, do you not think it might be better for you to start off working for someone else? i know its a learning process but you really dont seem to have any idea and i just feel its a bit much to expect to clean peoples windows for money when you probably wouldnt do as good a job as if they did there own windows themselves? i really dont mean this negatively but i reckon some hands on experience is what you need, see if a local windy will take you out for the odd day, you would learn so much quicker imo
GM I think that's bad advice try working for somebody else, he obviously want to work for himself that's why he cane to this forum to learn.

Buzzing if I were you mate I would get on a course like impact 43 and just ask as many questions ask you can on here no matter how silly the seem you will always get a answer, keep at it pal, keep practicing and jeep asking questions you will start picking tips up to make life easier.

What like this? fake geogian bars inside sealed dg unit.

Georgian-Bar-PVCu-Window-RH-Side-Hung_medium.jpg

or this type? georgian bars (metal frame)

article020-clement1.jpg

or this type? leaded windows

glass_lead_windows3.jpg

GM I think that's bad advice try working for somebody else, he obviously want to work for himself that's why he cane to this forum to learn.

Buzzing if I were you mate I would get on a course like impact 43 and just ask as many questions ask you can on here no matter how silly the seem you will always get a answer, keep at it pal, keep practicing and jeep asking questions you will start picking tips up to make life easier.
Do they teach you how to window clean. I honestly thought it was just h&s ?

my advice was for buzzing, not everybody, from he's previous posts talking about not being comfortable on ladders, that he doesnt know how to trad,etc, just because you WANT to be a self employed window cleaner doesnt mean you will be any good at it, the customers deserve to pay for someone that knows what there doing, its not all about you! you will never learn how to clean windows on a course like you would by working for someone else, thats not me hating on courses, but anyone that has worked for someone else will tell you its the best foundation for growing your own business, too many people are setting up when they havent got a clue, it doesnt help the industry at all ....... IMO!

Impact43 course is the best idea for him I think - proper teaching of everything, free, and a qualification at the end of it. . .

Cleaning glass just practise on ya own house for a week like everyone else does and watch some vids on youtube, problem stains etc, frames and leaded etc theres good advice right here. Why advise training courses when thats all ya need, use ya head where the ladder is concerned and bobs ya mothers brother.

my advice was for buzzing, not everybody, from he's previous posts talking about not being comfortable on ladders, that he doesnt know how to trad,etc, just because you WANT to be a self employed window cleaner doesnt mean you will be any good at it, the customers deserve to pay for someone that knows what there doing, its not all about you! you will never learn how to clean windows on a course like you would by working for someone else, thats not me hating on courses, but anyone that has worked for someone else will tell you its the best foundation for growing your own business, too many people are setting up when they havent got a clue, it doesnt help the industry at all ....... IMO!
well im the same as every one els, im still learning but courses like these only help employers and if your new and setting your self up for the first time and having a leap of faith and that the customer is expecting a high standard and if they complain well its his own fault.

but when people say why don't you go with a professional company is not the way to go for some people i can be happily spend a couple of months learning how to clean but each glass and window frame is not the same.

people fail in business or in normal employment and to stop a person by tell telling that they should go with employer and reducing the amount of window cleaners in any areas inst going to help, only help you

yh i was just saying that sometimes it would be better for some people to start off learning the business their in before setting up as a business themselves. from my own experience i would say it was the best start i could have had, i had time to get good at trad cleaning and knowing which chemicals to use where, as well as seeing how my old boss ran his round, how he did his books, how he priced his work etc, yes you can learn it all off of forums etc but for me it was the best intro to the business.

i see so many window cleaners doing an absolutely terrible job and its down to one of two things, theyve been doing it years and have gotten lazy, or they have just started up with no experience and havent a clue what theyre doing

I do agree that a few days with a professional local company would also be very advantageous! I'm sure there are a lot of 'tricks of the trade' them courses may miss out for certain reasons!! Lol.. It would be a lot easier than trying to do it by yourself then come here to ask if it's ok! Mark M likes apprentices if your close!!! I was lucky I started out working with a friend, but it just takes time.

Impact43 course is the best idea for him I think - proper teaching of everything, free, and a qualification at the end of it. . .
going on this course in Swindon and will take ladder up there for some questions. I asked two guys if they would take me with them and they refused, I offered for free but I guess they either can't be bothered or worry about competition. That impact 43, isn't it £800 or something ridiculous?

yh i was just saying that sometimes it would be better for some people to start off learning the business their in before setting up as a business themselves. from my own experience i would say it was the best start i could have had, i had time to get good at trad cleaning and knowing which chemicals to use where, as well as seeing how my old boss ran his round, how he did his books, how he priced his work etc, yes you can learn it all off of forums etc but for me it was the best intro to the business.

i see so many window cleaners doing an absolutely terrible job and its down to one of two things, theyve been doing it years and have gotten lazy, or they have just started up with no experience and havent a clue what theyre doing
I agree, but how do I get someone to help me? I work an afternoon job from 2.30, but am available in mornings

Back