Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting started on a budget!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

M

MikeNW

Hi all!

So, i am trying to get a basic setup to get me started for under (as far under as possible - £500).

I looked at the beginers setups on window cleaning warehouse, they do a backpack system with a small di tank and pole, hose etc for £350 + vat

Big Boy Backpack Starter Kit

Think I can do better elseware and in bits!

I quite fancy the diy trolley build - read several threads dozens of youtube vids etc. Im quite capable of building one and it looks much more satisfying! Im pretty sure I can get a setup in bits for not much more money than that backpack setup that I hope would be better?

So - are the home built trolleys any better than backpacks? The gardiner backpack looks good value as well!

I was also looking at the cheaper gardiner poles, thinking maybe http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/telescopic-poles/clx-ii-carbon-composite-pole/pole-clx-22.html Can anyone recommend the brush to choose? There seems to be a choice of several included with the pole but I have no idea what would be best to start with?

The PPM of our water is high, 200+. I have today added water butts to my house, my parents and a large barn/stables. Ive got a clean IBC for storage, I am planning to start off with just a di setup and rainwater but if the work level goes up enough I will obviously need an RO system, not including that in the original setup costs obviously!

All suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers,

mike

hi mike,your first problem is that you are starting your wfp career as cheap as possible,if you start cheap your equipment will always hinder your growth business wise and you'll enventually end up buying the proper kit anyway,meaning your initial investment was a waste of money which you could have put towards proper equipment in the first place.

i'm not meaning to come across as harsh or an ahole but its just personal experience from a fair few years of doing this,i would rather invest first in the right kit to enable me and my business to grow into it than keep on upgrading to keep up with demand etc-been there,done that,cost me twice the money.

Your choice of pole is probably one of the best you could choose if your on a tight budget, coupled with a Supa-lite or Ultimate Brush. Medium to soft brushes work best for me. I've always used a professionally built trolley so can't comment on Backpacks. As a tap you'll struggle to do better than a Uni-valve.

Thanks for that! Im aware of the risk of starting too cheap and buying everything twice. :-(

That said, im also aware that if I cant prove its viable I dont want to invest more than I can afford. I guess its not an easy balance to strike.

Im thinking if I can sort the DI system out, end up with a trolley (looking at some of the DIY ones on here, I can build that and enough people seem to swear by them) and a pole im away for at least a starting point. Would love to invest in a van setup but its just not an option for the moment.

I use now a Gardiner backpack set up. Think its great. CLX pole came with it. Flexible, can get anywhere with it. Just use estate car. Rarely need ladders but can if necessary. Carry about 40 litres extra DI filtered water and top up where possible. Used to have a Big Boy but lid kept falling off as it was used as carrying handle.

I cant see a setup that includes a pole on the gardiner site. The window cleaning warehouse list a full setup but cant find similar on gardiners. I think my main decision now is wether to build a trolley or buy a backpack and strap it to a trolley.

i used a backpack strapped to a sacktruck for a while & thought it was a great system, gardiners are the best for sure, only thing i would question is a 22ft pole there will be a fair few jobs you cant get with that, a clx 27 would be better

I cant see a setup that includes a pole on the gardiner site. The window cleaning warehouse list a full setup but cant find similar on gardiners. I think my main decision now is wether to build a trolley or buy a backpack and strap it to a trolley.
You'll need to add the pole and backpack separately. They don't come together as a bundle.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If you have limited funds then you have to make the best of what you can afford. I started trad and bought the minimum of equipment I even bought a ladder which would fit in my van so as not to incure the cost of roof bars. If your set on going down the wfp route then a gardiner back pack and clx pole will serve you well this is what I bought once I realised my business was viable.

Ultimately, they both do the same thing. Some people like to build their own stuff and like to understand how it works. Other people, like me, just like to buy something ready made. Depends which you prefer really. I've got a van mount now but used the Gardiner backpack all day everyday for about six months and highly rate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

start off on ebay look at kobold water pump they have a pump for £99 offer him £89 it has a pump and battery and controller, it has a leed with a filter on it to make sure no **** goes in the pump and i brought a sack barrow for £15 so thats £104 for controller battery and pump, but a Di vessel on there second hand for £20 and ressin for £40-£70 thats under 200 then right now there are poles on there 35ft and are £85, its a decent set up and buy a few 25litre tanks. the only thing with rain water it keeps suds in the water, how ever much you clean it so if you don't use it up straight away itll start getting **** in them and leave smears on windows.

I reckon you can definately do it on £500. I am doing exactly that with a gardiner backpack and pole couple of brushes about £400. Unger trad gear off ebay about £50. I buy pure water from a local cleaning company so just bought cheap second hand Jerry cans off ebay. The backpack won't be wasted if you get can system as lots on here carry them aswell for the awkward access houses etc. I'm starting using my car and will get a van as soon as I can. I know you can do it cheaper but for what its worth I am living using the gardiner kit so far. Good luck with it

Cheap equipment especially poles are not a good option, cheap fibre glass poles will cause injury and pain I started out with one paid £100 for a 2.1 kilo 17ft one when I could have got a clx for around the same price at 1 kilo but to cover most work you'll need a slx 22 that'll do 3 storey that's going to set you back best part of £250 alone, nothing is free but you do get a brush included.

Don't bother with a trolley even a diy is unviable these days unless you want to carry 40 litres, this will set you back about £150 that's backpack, truck and reel hose depending on length is extra then all you need is Di tank pole and connections.

View attachment 7150

Back