Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Smeared Glass

Andy

Iv cleaned some internal baulstade glass today. This is the second time I've cleaned it. It was covered in finger prints as was the first time. Iv used soapy water applicator and blade and ubik it looks clean close up but when you stand back it has parts that look misty and if you try and wipe just smears. I used the ubik because it did the same thing last time I cleaned them. And iv tried with scrims and microfiber cloths. Iv cleaned with blade and water fed pole and iv had some **** glass before but these just seem inpossible to clean. I spent half a day to day and they Still look pants. Should have took 1 1/2 at the most. I clean balustrade glass coverd in prints and salt spray and never get this problem.

Its hard to get an idea of how bad it is as you've tried pretty much everything you can, I'd use a scraper and almost everything comes off with that and a microfiber cloth, it might just be one of those things?

It's not that. it's all of them and it did the same last time. I do other bauldstades and glass and don't have a problem. There definitely soaped up enough that's why it's giving me the hump.

Contacted Tufwell glass they constructed the balustrade asked them why it might be doing this. Answer Don't know. How would you recommend cleaning them answer use a glass cleaner. I wish I'd asked them before.

I've had similar recently and found out the hand rail had been cleaned with baby oil (stainless steel) so was leaving random patches everywhere. No reasoning to it at all but I degreased it with isopropanol alcohol and it came up a treat. I tried Virosol before but it still smeared?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I would have thought virosol would have done the trick..seeing as you can clean bike chains etc in it

Oh well learn something every day

I've had similar recently and found out the hand rail had been cleaned with baby oil (stainless steel) so was leaving random patches everywhere. No reasoning to it at all but I degreased it with isopropanol alcohol and it came up a treat. I tried Virosol before but it still smeared?

good info :thumbsup:

Hopefully it works then! I was surprised Virosol didn't work - I was being a bit impatient so tried everything in my arsenal ! Let us know next time you do it Andy [emoji106]

Back