Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing

JDMW

you have prob seen i have had epic failure at this, just wondering how you get over the nerves on knocking the first homes?? i need to see where im going wrong.

I don't like doing it either. Luckily my rounds ok now so anything that comes along is a bonus. I had a canvasser start me off when I started.

i dunno where i go wrong seriously i dont. its scary i find.

do you knock houses that have the no cold callers and salesmen ??

TBH I am bad at canvassing, I stutter at the worse of times in a normal convosation(hard to try not to stutter)

If I can get customers by canvassing(hate it and dont do it often) then anyone can (even you) /emoticons/smile.png

when I go canvassing I dress smart/casual don't go over the top with trousers just clean jeans and a smart top/ coat and when I knock just say hi I was just wondering if you wanted a window cleaner, if they say no be polite and just ok thanks sorry to disturb you, you've got to be relaxed and confident (not cocky) it really is easy once you get into just don't take it to heart when they say no just carry on. as for the ones with the no canvassers signs I still knock them there the best ones no one else dare knock had one person point to the sign and I just said im a window cleaner not a canvasser and he just laughed and said fair enough. one method ive been using for my gutters is putting a leaflet threw the door then following up a few days later and just say " hi im just following up on the gutter cleaning leaflet I posted the other day and wondered if you was interested in a quote? ( smile and show them the leaflet) at that point you usually get a oh yeah (means there interested) or no thanks or what leaflet (usually still sat on the doormat with all the other junk)

ok ill give it a go tomorrow after my gutter clean. i know there are cleaners in the area tho, not sure which homes they do tho /emoticons/sad.png wouldnt wanna steal other cleaners work.

ok ill give it a go tomorrow after my gutter clean. i know there are cleaners in the area tho, not sure which homes they do tho /emoticons/sad.png wouldnt wanna steal other cleaners work.
unless there really bad or you deliberately under quote you wouldn't steal anyones work most people are fairly loyal to there window cleaners for some strange reasons

in these times of money and jobs being bad people are out for a bargain. i recon i can clean a house in 20 mins max. i aim to get atleast £20 ph max im not greedy /emoticons/smile.png. im going to offer ppl a 4 weekly clean at £9 excluding connys. i bet they will rip my arms off along with other cleaners in the area. i can easily get 3 homes in a hour done cant i??? then later on in the year put it up to a tenner. i just put an ad on facebook offering this deal. see how many i get take this offer up.

in these times of money and jobs being bad people are out for a bargain. i recon i can clean a house in 20 mins max. i aim to get atleast £20 ph max im not greedy /emoticons/smile.png. im going to offer ppl a 4 weekly clean at £9 excluding connys. i bet they will rip my arms off along with other cleaners in the area. i can easily get 3 homes in a hour done cant i??? then later on in the year put it up to a tenner. i just put an ad on facebook offering this deal. see how many i get take this offer up.
I wouldn't do a set price not all houses take 20 mins I clean some house that I charge £25 for and they take about 45 mins plus travelling etc ive also got some 2 bed terrace house that I do for £6 and take me 15 mins a piece I also clean every 4 weeks most do know

jdmw just keep knockign and it will come to u mate trust me /emoticons/smile.png

even if u get 1,2 customers atleast your still dropping your flyer thru to the people that arent home /emoticons/smile.png

your getting ya name out their which is the main thing

I have found that quite a lot of guys starting up window cleaning runs say that they hate people calling at their door and may be rude to them . Therein lies the problem in some cases. If we treat people that way, we may then fear knocking doors in case we get the same response. My tip is to be a little more chilled when people call at your door, as they (like you) are probably also simply trying to make a living. Then when you canvass, try to be relaxed, but not pushy and don't take offence or be discouraged if someone is abusive to you.

John

i had someone who was mean to me today, she was a right snob. she said she didnt want my leaflet, if she wanted her windows cleaned her hubby would do them. she said take ya flier next door, just go through that brown gate and theres a letter box there. i went through and got to the door to see 2 massive irish wolf hounds stand up bark and run at me. that was the fastest ive ran in my life. then when i got out the snob said "oh i forgot to tell you to mind there dogs." why are ppl so mean

I found it hard knocking people's doors.. Took me about 3 years to start knocking doors.. I just got to the point where I needed the work.. I'd wasted loads of paper ads, flyers and business just wasn't going anywhere..

So I just said that's it, got a handful of flyers, note book and pen, parked up and went a walk.. Knock at first door.. Ah ah hi, ah I clean windows in the street every 4 weeks , w w would you like your cleaned? I think I got like 8 houses the first night and about 40 the first week..

The more you do it the easier it gets.. I now have no problem if I see a house with dirty windows close to my round I'll go and knock their door..

I believe you have to go look for the work yourself as it won't come looking for you..

Belfast what you say is very true, its by far the cheapest and best way to get customers. I really didnt want to door knock but i love it now

i remember when i first started my plan was to build up through flyers... and lol i had no choice but to knock doors and i got 7 customers in my first day /emoticons/smile.png

I went out canvassing tonight myself I knocked on 66 doors and puck up 1 front for £6

But at least I know thats 1 more custy and im closer to picking up more .

We just gotta keep plodding on and keep knocking them damn doors .

My wife has now started working 12hr shifts on sat and sun so I can only canvass in the week nights now so its all systems go otherwise I will never get this business off the ground .

ill get my daughter to knock and say please give dad a window cleaning job, we dont have any food lol :lol:

i had one call tonight, woman says i got your leaflet yesterday and i was wondering if you could clean my windows. i said are you free tomorrow for me to quote. she said cant you do it on the phone, i said not really i need to do it at your house so i know how big your windows are. ( like normal ) i got 4 big windows in my front room blah blah blah, this went on for ages. i said its best i come quote because so far you have said 18 windows. i need to quote. she wouldnt have that. she then said how much then for 18 windows 8 weekly. i said about £25. she went quiet for a bit and i said hello helllo she said oh my thats awfully expensive. i said its not really. she said i wont bother ill find another cleaner thank you nd hung up lol :lol:

Back