Mk 4 Golf Tdi Advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by petehughesy, Jul 7, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. petehughesy

petehughesy Active Member

ive got a mk4 golf 1.9 tdi SE which has a pretty bad whistling coming from the turbo, it was driving and sounding fine, then literally with in a hour i got in it and went to drive it and as soon as i touched the throttle the turbo was making a really loud whistle noise, quite a high pitched noise, sound silly but it sounds almost like a siren in a way.
    the sound is worse when you drive it and go through the gears, as appose to it standing and reving it.
    the car isnt loosing any power it still drives the same, it was taken into a garage yesterday and i was told it needed a new seal on one of the hoses, but on getting the car back its no different and the noise is just as bad, and the garage said they cant see were its coming from or what it is.
    anybody got any idea? is the turbo on the way? or could it be something like a barring or something sinple?

Advertisement
  2. Neil

Neil Grand Master

Dont really know mate as long as your not loosing power thats good, the turbo wont be on its way , I had a golf mk4 gti vw's are the best cars!!! Will inbox you mate. Plus get the car remapped ;) my mk4 was sooo fast !!!!

3. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

4. Neil

Neil Grand Master

That's what I was going to inbox him tuffers , didn't think I could post other forums on here

5. petehughesy

Dont really know mate as long as your not loosing power thats good, the turbo wont be on its way , I had a golf mk4 gti vw's are the best cars!!! Will inbox you mate. Plus get the car remapped ;) my mk4 was sooo fast !!!!

Yeah the car isn't loosing power mate is runs sweet, somebody said it could be the intercooler hose that may have perished so ill have to check, one thing I noticed you can be stationary and rev it and it doesn't make a sound, and yet when your driving you hardly have to give it any revs and it whistles really loud

6. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Ladders on a roof whistle when you're driving sometimes; just a thought (that's if you carry ladders on it).

7. Newbie cleaner

Newbie cleaner Active Member

with Turbos just be very cautious as they can go in a second, just hope it don't high rev and blow white smoke, that means its gone.

8. OoO

OoO Guest

Problem will be boost related then.

As when standing still, the engine will only be creating vacuum. Once under load it will create boost.

It sounds like a leak somewhere to me. But without hearing it I don't know.

Make sure you get a smoke test done. As I have had several golds bought to me to look at and all been checked for leaks. Yet I found them.

There is a small vacuum hose as well can't remember what it does. It's underneath the main inlet manifold. They are know to split.

But my guess is.

Leak from boost pipe.
    Leak from exhaust gasket
    Leak from turbo
    Leak from exhaust system.
    Turbo is gonna go boom. Turbos don't really build up to a failure. They just go.

Plus if turbo was on its way out = look for lots and lots of smoke.

9. Shinytime

Shinytime Active Member

we had the exact same problem, our air intake hose punctured, we got a seal but it broke so ended up just getting a new hose and the prolem was fixed!

10. petehughesy

Thanks for the replys guys big help

Advertisement