Mobile speed camera

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by windyman, Mar 8, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

Hi,

Not a good day...got home to find a letter from police doing me for speeding on Monday. It was a mobile speed camera operating from a police van...i remember seeing it and slowing down, but never thought anything of it after that.

I'm peed off anyway cos it's the a82 great western road which if anyone knows it, big 3 lane (most of it) road that goes from Glasgow out to the west. Now this road changes speed limits like a yoyo.

One minute it's 30, then 40, 50, 60 back to 40, 30, 50...it's impossible to remember what bit ur on.

They did me for doing 40 in a 30...then literally 300yrds down the road- it's a 50!!!

I'm not denying I was speeding..fair enough I must have been...but hacks me off when the limit changes so often in a couple of miles!!

Few questions...is there any point me writting the above (nicely) and pleading my case?

Do they not have to give prior warning of an upcoming speed trap?

Advertisement
  2. chip

chip Guru

in the 90's when this sort of thing really started someone told me if a copper pulls you up for speeding just ask if the machine was calibrated that day and they'll leave you alone as they hardly ever are. no idea if it's true or if applicable here
    also saw something on telly about the speed limit signs have to look exactly the same as those in the highway code or they are invalid, ie if the background colour is different, it's invalid.

3. windyman

Cheers for info mate.

There's a wealth of info online about trying to get off the hook...tbh I completely admit I must have been doing 40 in a 30..I'm not trying to get off the hook as such...but it just annoys me. It's very difficult to focus on driving plus know what the limit is if it changes 4 or 5 times in 2 miles...when the road is exactly the same!

I'll prob just send the form back like a good boy! Don't mind paying the fine..it's more the points im bothered about. Shouldn't make too much difference to insurance should it? It's my first offence..prob be an SP30 offence.

4. Paul

Paul Guest

Just this week in Cumbria 100+ motorists got off with tickets from a mob speed camera because Its yearly service was missed.
    Ask to see it's service record worth a try

5. windyman

Yea could do. I reckon though if you write back asking loads of info to try get off, they're gonna go out their way to make sure you get done,

6. Paul

Paul Guest

No not at all I think it will have an opposite effect as you could probably open a can of worms for them, I would give it a try just to save the 3 points

7. Bad luck mate. I think you should write in and air your concerns. Those cameras are normally run by civilians and that would be what they do everyday so there's a fair chance that the camera would have be calibrated recently and even if it wasn't it would have only been out by a few mph. Just be careful what you read online, every case is different in law and a lot of that stuff is complete **** I should know doing the job I do. They will look at the evidence against you and won't decide to prosecute just because you have challenged the ticket. I would ask yourself how far are you prepared to take it? and at what cost? Time & money is a factor and if you end up in court you could receive double the points and a bigger fine. It's your call of course

8. windyman

Yea that's what I'm worried about. I really can't be bothered to put time or effort into fighting it. I'll happily pay the 60 quid if that's what it is, and hope it don't make much difference to premiums.

I'm not one to moan when I was speeding, just a bit annoyed at the circumstances. Oh well, that's life!

Drive safe! (and slow!)

9. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Thats bad luck man, but i think if it is a £60 fine, i would just pay up. I couldnt be bothered with the hassle in fighting it, esp re what Jamie said, that it might backfire and end up costing you more. If it is your 1st ticket, it shouldnt make much, if any, difference to your insurance.

Regarding the 'prior warning', no i dont think they have to do that anymore. I remember years ago lots of speeders were getting off through a loophole in the law which meant they were successfully claiming 'entrapment' if they were caught by a cops hidden behind a hedge or something (which is ridiculous, and meant, according to the law, it was ok to speed as long as there was nobody to catch you!). The loophole was closed after a few years, speeding is speeding, so now you can get done by mobile cameras, and unmarked police cars.

10. chip

chip Guru

the thing i object to is the areas they pick, e.g my favva in law, got done in a 30 but barely a few meters from when it was 60! though i've no idea how he was speeding, i thought i was steady but he barely gets out of first gear!

Advertisement