Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Mobile speed camera

WCF

Help Support WCF:

windyman

Hi,

Not a good day...got home to find a letter from police doing me for speeding on Monday. It was a mobile speed camera operating from a police van...i remember seeing it and slowing down, but never thought anything of it after that.

I'm peed off anyway cos it's the a82 great western road which if anyone knows it, big 3 lane (most of it) road that goes from Glasgow out to the west. Now this road changes speed limits like a yoyo.

One minute it's 30, then 40, 50, 60 back to 40, 30, 50...it's impossible to remember what bit ur on.

They did me for doing 40 in a 30...then literally 300yrds down the road- it's a 50!!!

I'm not denying I was speeding..fair enough I must have been...but hacks me off when the limit changes so often in a couple of miles!!

Few questions...is there any point me writting the above (nicely) and pleading my case?

Do they not have to give prior warning of an upcoming speed trap?

in the 90's when this sort of thing really started someone told me if a copper pulls you up for speeding just ask if the machine was calibrated that day and they'll leave you alone as they hardly ever are. no idea if it's true or if applicable here

also saw something on telly about the speed limit signs have to look exactly the same as those in the highway code or they are invalid, ie if the background colour is different, it's invalid.

Cheers for info mate.

There's a wealth of info online about trying to get off the hook...tbh I completely admit I must have been doing 40 in a 30..I'm not trying to get off the hook as such...but it just annoys me. It's very difficult to focus on driving plus know what the limit is if it changes 4 or 5 times in 2 miles...when the road is exactly the same!

I'll prob just send the form back like a good boy! Don't mind paying the fine..it's more the points im bothered about. Shouldn't make too much difference to insurance should it? It's my first offence..prob be an SP30 offence.

Yea could do. I reckon though if you write back asking loads of info to try get off, they're gonna go out their way to make sure you get done,

Yea that's what I'm worried about. I really can't be bothered to put time or effort into fighting it. I'll happily pay the 60 quid if that's what it is, and hope it don't make much difference to premiums.

I'm not one to moan when I was speeding, just a bit annoyed at the circumstances. Oh well, that's life!

Drive safe! (and slow!)

the thing i object to is the areas they pick, e.g my favva in law, got done in a 30 but barely a few meters from when it was 60! though i've no idea how he was speeding, i thought i was steady but he barely gets out of first gear!

There's no harm in asking to see its calibration certificate but this could mean your forfeit your NIP and have to appeal at court. Unless you're sure you weren't speeding at the time then I'd never recommend anyone to take their case to court.

My wife got caught speeding about 2 months ago she was going 38 mph in a 30 mph zone it is a £60 fine and 3 points on the license .But she took a driving awareness course takes 1 day cost £120 and not points on the license

My wife got caught speeding about 2 months ago she was going 38 mph in a 30 mph zone it is a £60 fine and 3 points on the license .But she took a driving awareness course takes 1 day cost £120 and not points on the license

Yea they don't do that in Scotland. Shame.

Can't be sure I was speeding...my speedo doesn't work!
I wouldn't mention this!! That's a whole new ball game in which it would probably be a quick summons to court. :cool:
I'm not sure...it's not an MOT failure, just had it MOT'd. I use a speedo on my phone for longer journeys but wasn't on this occasion.

lol i love the fact this post has pulled a ad from google about getting of speeding for free in first post.

Yea I'm in scotland. If it is an offence, I don't know why it's not an MOT fail. Sounds daft, but then some laws are!

Back