Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

water cut off when full...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

G

Anyone have any experience for when a static water tank is full to automatically cut-off water from main tap water supply. I guess I need some type of water float valve?

But any help on what, and how it works?

Thanks.

can something like this be used: http://www.directwatertanks.co.uk/tank-parts/float-valves/1-2-inch-ball-****-and-float

would you put this at the side at the top - and water goes in, once float is at top water would stop?

bit pricey that roy sure there are cheaper out there..wickes bandq screwfix...

apparently....me just let it flow all over the feckin floor...:whistle:yeh I blame the wife too...

Thanks for that, will it work with the lid on, or do you need to keep the lid off?
Much depends on what kind of lid you have. I have had that float valve in Two different tanks, one with external lid & now an internal lid (as in the pics). As you can see, I had to cut a small piece of plastic out of the protruding inner thread rim to allow more room for the float arm to rise higher- thus to fill tank fuller, it now fills full bar an inch. The threaded part of the valve, which goes through the tank wall & then takes a male hoselock on the outside is approx 3 inch long so does make way for some degree of adjustment. It comes with Two locking nuts, one for inside & one for outside- this allows you to set (within approx 3 inch) the internal protrusion of the float. Mine is set so that the float will rise within the void of the lid space giving maximum water cut off level. The float itself can be height adjusted also allowing further tolerance/adjustment. Care must be taken to drill the tank hole in the correct position so as to maximise the units adjustment parameters. Not a big, nor expensive job and in Twelve years has only failed once which was swiftly rectified by replacing with a new unit. We have massive mains water pressure so as small and flimsy as these units may initially appear, they are more than capable. When I get home I just plug the mains hose into tank and let the float valve do it's job. Hope that helps.

Much depends on what kind of lid you have. I have had that float valve in Two different tanks, one with external lid & now an internal lid (as in the pics). As you can see, I had to cut a small piece of plastic out of the protruding inner thread rim to allow more room for the float arm to rise higher- thus to fill tank fuller, it now fills full bar an inch. The threaded part of the valve, which goes through the tank wall & then takes a male hoselock on the outside is approx 3 inch long so does make way for some degree of adjustment. It comes with Two locking nuts, one for inside & one for outside- this allows you to set (within approx 3 inch) the internal protrusion of the float. Mine is set so that the float will rise within the void of the lid space giving maximum water cut off level. The float itself can be height adjusted also allowing further tolerance/adjustment. Care must be taken to drill the tank hole in the correct position so as to maximise the units adjustment parameters. Not a big, nor expensive job and in Twelve years has only failed once which was swiftly rectified by replacing with a new unit. We have massive mains water pressure so as small and flimsy as these units may initially appear, they are more than capable. When I get home I just plug the mains hose into tank and let the float valve do it's job. Hope that helps.
Okay, thanks for the message, I will get one an try it.

If the unit doesn't come with Two locking nuts (my memory lets me down a little here) you will get one and a second rubber washer from any plumbing merchant- it's a pretty standard size. Also make sure you get the one in the link which is- "side entry" and not "bottom entry" for obvious reasons./emoticons/wink.png

Oh, just one other thing- it will come with Two flow restrictors, one for high pressure and one for low pressure. Either of these will severely restrict the flow (obviously) I do not fit either of these to allow maximum flow thus minimising fill time. I have had no issues doing this.

Back