Morning everyone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by mrtaytay, Aug 20, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Hiya

I am due to be made redundant on 31/10/2011 so have decided to start up a window cleaning business. Quite excited about it!. I have quite a bit of leave to take before I finish work so intend to use that time to build up a customer base. I canvassed a small estate last week...only about 15 houses and managed to get 3 customers, so i am due to clean their windows on Monday. I intend to do some serious canvassing next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I just hope there are enough customers out there. I live in a rural part of Derbyshire so I am wondering if it is worth visiting the really remote areas with houses that are hidden away....the theory being that other window cleaners may not have visited. I don't know if this will pay off, but I will give it a go. Could I ask a couple of questions:
    1) It may sound stupid, but how much washing up liquid would you use in half a bucket of water.
    2) Has anyone managed to make a decent effective flyer?..I wasn't particularly impressed with my first efforts and I think its important to make it look professional.

cheers guys

Advertisement
  2. Catherine

Catherine Guest

Hi

Good luck in the new venture.

If you want a flyer designed let me know, as our designer does flyers for the commercial window cleaners I work for. Not expensive...

Kind regards

3. nearlyclean

Supplier

just a squirt of fairy is enough,I find a straight forward flyer does the trick-Window cleaner telephone number

4. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Cheers nearlyclean. I am out tomorrow morning doing my first windows (three customers). Once I have done them I will spend the day canvassing. Hopefully, I will pick up a few more customers. Heres hoping!

5. nearlyclean

Supplier

How did you get on with the canvassing and the first day window cleaning

6. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

The day went really well, although I was pretty slow. Also, the backs of the houses that I was cleaning were nearly all glass!!...they were eco houses. Anyway, I managed to pick up a couple of additional customers from the same estate without even canvassing. I went out canvassing today...spent a couple of hours canvassing a couple of streets and lanes and picked up 8 customers!! plus three or four potentials. I have booked them all in for next wednesday (my next day off from my regular job). I felt really encoraged. I just need to speed up now. The flyer is looking a lot better. My daughters friend designed me a colourful logo...it looks really good.

Cheers

7. Cleanliness

Cleanliness Guest

Sounds like your doing well and its good to here. just wanted to say to the other new guys because I am new also

8. Sienna_Brown

Sienna_Brown Guest

Hi from me, too! Welcome to the forum, wish you all the best in your new business! I also hope that we can help each other with lots of useful information! :rolleyes:

9. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Thanks Sienna
    Things are going ok. I have about 20 customers now with a few garden customers as well...and I dont finish work until 31/10/2011. Unfortunately though I have a couple of people who have not paid after two cleans. I have done a few short stints of canvassing. I quite enjoy it. It gives you a real buzz when you manage to pick a customer up. You do have spells though where everyone seems to say that they already have a window cleaner. I just keep going. I have had one quote turned down. It was a very big bungalow with a big conservatory...all leaded glass. I quoted 14 pounds. he obviously thought it was too much.

Advertisement