Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Moss in between old stonework

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DeLaCruz

Property is a softwash with standard stained painted walls, but also has ye olde style Princes trust brickwork which has moss and algae growing in the gaps between (see picture). Am i safe to treat the whole lot with my softwash mix or is this a more intricate process for removing the growth from the concrete. Will run a test patch as always but wondered if some of the experienced guys had experience with this kind of thing, thanks in advance ???

Attachments

• moss.jpg
    moss.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 8
Property is a softwash with standard stained painted walls, but also has ye olde style Princes trust brickwork which has moss and algae growing in the gaps between (see picture). Am i safe to treat the whole lot with my softwash mix or is this a more intricate process for removing the growth from the concrete. Will run a test patch as always but wondered if some of the experienced guys had experience with this kind of thing, thanks in advance ???

moss.jpg

Hypo mix will kill it but will probably need a light pressure wash to remove it from between the stones if you want instant clean , if happy to Waite a few months then it would probably gradually come off with weathering

I was going to use lightening cleanze bc its a residential estate with lots of close properties in close proximity so its the safest option for runoff once its washed down. I'm trying to steer clear of using hypo now unless its on places with a lot of space to work in and also the correct algae

I was going to use lightening cleanze bc its a residential estate with lots of close properties in close proximity so its the safest option for runoff once its washed down. I'm trying to steer clear of using hypo now unless its on places with a lot of space to work in and also the correct algae
Lightening cleanze is hypo
Bio cleanze is maybe what you mean

i think you are confusing yourself john, or have taken some wrong advice from somewhere, i've only seen that one photo and not the whole job so, can only comment on what i see, the moss as i see it is ready to spawn, ie long shoots growing from it.
nature has its own way to keep these new life safe and sterile so its not infected, hypo/benz or any other biocide won't do a great deal in stopping or killing the moss,
scraping the moss away with a wire brush or consinder a 14" fsc to remove the worst and then treat.
run off is your problem not the chemical, little and often will always work in cases like these agitation helps too,
if you are spraying hypo or benz start from the bottom with a light spray and then work upwards gradualy increasing the flow (kink the hose if that helps to decrease the flow )-the run off from the top will then flow downwards to treat the bottom parts without much of a run off, ie the run off from the higher part will then treat the lower part-its hard to explain in type but easy to show in say a video or in person. hope this makes sense?.

Yeah I was aware that it contained hypo, however one of the main reasons i decided it would be preferable in these residential area's was it is stated on the benz page:
"After use it quickly breaks down into tiny amounts of ordinary salt and water containing no free chlorine + does not bio-accumulate and the surfactant is fully biodegradable."

I was under the impression that these points implied (the runoff) from Benz is somewhat safer once washed from the walls than a regular farmers hypo + surfactant mix ? Was just trying the choose the safest option for the customers benefit.

Not sure pressure washing is an option as the brickwork is too high up. Think ill try a WFP with a wise brush attached to it. Thanks for the advice on minimizing spreading the softwash spread much appreciated Kevin.

Yeah I was aware that it contained hypo, however one of the main reasons i decided it would be preferable in these residential area's was it is stated on the benz page:
"After use it quickly breaks down into tiny amounts of ordinary salt and water containing no free chlorine + does not bio-accumulate and the surfactant is fully biodegradable."

I was under the impression that these points implied (the runoff) from Benz is somewhat safer once washed from the walls than a regular farmers hypo + surfactant mix ? Was just trying the choose the safest option for the customers benefit.
That is the same as normal hypo
It breaks down into hydrogen which dissipates in the air and sodium chloride (table salt)
The only difference is the surfactant already added and they have it certified
You could use either
This is why hypo ruins fittings etc if not rinsed out properly as salt destroys everything

That is the same as normal hypo
It breaks down into hydrogen which dissipates in the air and sodium chloride (table salt)
The only difference is the surfactant already added and they have it certified
You could use either
Think it also contains a bit of sodium hydroxide doesn’t it ??? We have used both and I couldn’t see any advantage with the Benz apart from it’s officially approved it doesn’t clean any better , we have done a few jobs ware the customers have specified Benz stuff is used , it’s very expensive and not worth the extra expense and I have found delivery to be difficult and shelf life very short , drums swell and fizz once the use by date is reached , I wouldn’t use it by choice.

Back