Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

moss in frame corners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

johnny bravo

ive noticed on some windows tiny moss bits in some corner windows. tried brushing it out . not that great a result. tried a tooth brush. no good anyone found a tool to flick out . end up trying a sharp knife next

i use sill brushes but small stubborn bits . too sharp the object could end up scratching upvc. ill just stick a small sharp knife in side pouch. probably end up sticking in me

i use sill brushes but small stubborn bits . too sharp the object could end up scratching upvc. ill just stick a small sharp knife in side pouch. probably end up sticking in me
I have used one of Double edged window scrapers They have razor blade in one end and plastic blade in other. OK so they are not amazing quality but I find they work quite well even the plastic edge is quite handy on the frames and sills. Obviously used used haphazardly you can scratch glass or frames but the plastic edge is quite good. I find the plastic edge is good for moss as it is sharp enough to cut the moss but unlikely to do any damage as long as you don't drag grit with it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've used a tiny amount of Hypo. In a spray bottle. Let it sit on the moss for a minute while you clean the upstairs and come back to it. The moss will come away easier and in my experience it won't return on maintenance cleans. Prior to this a good stiff brush did the trick but I found the moss would return quickly.
I mentioned about moss on the seals in the corners and no matter how well you cleaned it it will come back without chemicals. A well known member said I wasn't doing it properly. Glad someone that knows what they're doing has had the same experience.

I've used a tiny amount of Hypo. In a spray bottle. Let it sit on the moss for a minute while you clean the upstairs and come back to it. The moss will come away easier and in my experience it won't return on maintenance cleans. Prior to this a good stiff brush did the trick but I found the moss would return quickly.
That sounds a good idea, what sort of mix do you use i.e. 1:10 or a bit stronger?

I mentioned about moss on the seals in the corners and no matter how well you cleaned it it will come back without chemicals. A well known member said I wasn't doing it properly. Glad someone that knows what they're doing has had the same experience.
dont you know yet what you are doing yet part timer haha

I use a claw brush from Halfords cycle section as my go to brush is a soft brush.
My lad uses a stiff brush all year through which gets that moss out of the corners no problem.

Muc off claw brush. Quick and easy?

It was £4 last week, now it is £4.88.

Remember cleaning chains and sprockets on my bike as a kid with an old toothbrush and tiny flat screwdriver and an old baking tray filled with petrol. That's going back 60 years and more. Never had anything fancy like these.:)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the pink stuff on first cleans to do the sills on the ground level. This is another place the customer notices right away. Seems to pay off when they tell me how clean they have came up and most think its the pure water doing the cleaning.

I use the pink stuff on first cleans to do the sills on the ground level. This is another place the customer notices right away. Seems to pay off when they tell me how clean they have came up and most think its the pure water doing the cleaning.
It's the moss in the corners of the frame and glass that @johnny bravo is asking about. I agree, Pink Stuff does a good job of cleaning sills and frames.

We first started using Astonish and I swore by that. Then they doubled the size of the container and tripled the price. The larger container was difficult to use as a window cleaner, so I tried The Pink Stuff after a forum recommendation. Stayed with it ever since.

It's the moss in the corners of the frame and glass that @johnny bravo is asking about. I agree, Pink Stuff does a good job of cleaning sills and frames.

We first started using Astonish and I swore by that. Then they doubled the size of the container and tripled the price. The larger container was difficult to use as a window cleaner, so I tried The Pink Stuff after a forum recommendation. Stayed with it ever since.
I bought 100 tubs for a pound a tub. Usually hand a new clean customer a tub and a scrub pad so they can clean difficult stuff themselves. I see I just jumped in regarding moss on corners of glass. Not really a problem with hot water because first thing I do is go around and wet all the windows with the brush. Then go back and begin cleaning all the windows and doors. Finally go back and clean them all again especially the glass any stubborn bits I will give them a good soak and go back to them in the end. The hotter the water then the easier stuff breaks loose, a bit like a washing machine's 60 degree wash. I could never go back to cold, did it for a few houses and gave up. I'm Conditioned to use hot and couldn't go back the way. fwiw

Back