Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How Much Would You Quote?

Until someone comes along like H that will do it for £15.

No matter what price you do a job for someone will always be cheaper so is irrelevant. To be honest I only want to take on quality work that pays well so others can fight over underpriced work if they must.

Instead of boo hoo. I prefer.

WAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAA

£30 for 30 mins work.. Can't complain at that..

Charge extortionate prices then expect to be undercut, then come on here and cry someone doley undercut me boo hoo

I may come across expensive and anal at times regarding pricing but I count myself being very lucky in the area where I work.

I'm trad so, I'd look at it differently. It's the building I would look at and not the windows. Part of what can make a job tedious or more difficult is moving from one window to another, like negotiating my ladder through a customers garage or up and over the wheelie bin, through the garden gate and under the washing line whilst avoiding the bird table. Then there's the footing, grass here, gravel there and a wobbly slab around the corner.

Cleaning a simple house with 6 windows, no obstacles and a comfortble ladder in 15-20 minutes for 6 quid, gives me much more pleasue than a house with the same windows but with flowerbeds, ponds, garages and washinglines to work around for 12 quid for 40 minutes work. As a window cleaner, I'm happier when actually at the glass, rather than when planning my route to it.

Looking at the picture posted, I reckon I could clean those top windows, two windows(four panes) at a time. Then it's down the ladder, lift the ladder an inch off the ground and move it to the next set and so on with a stable and consistant ladder footing on every climb, I'd be looking at around 25-30 minutes on those tops.

I think I'd just cloth those bottom openers and then the other glass would be a breeze.

I would also take a four weekly clean as a major contributor, once the first clean is out of the way, I'd take great joy in timing myself each visit. I think I'd look forward to this job everytime and if I could get 30 quid a clean which is what I'd tender, I'd be well chuffed.

Now, imagine dotting those windows around a totally different shaped building. Make it more narrow but give it a 2nd floor. Make it L-shaped. Paint car parking zones below it with a muddy grass verge and a kerb in the middle and a 3 monthly clean and suddenly, 100 quid is too cheap yet, the same amount of glass to clean.

Mart.

Good post Mart...

Indeed as a price should also reflect how bad the first clean is also how awkward a job is and needless to say the frequency of the clean.

I may come across expensive and anal at times regarding pricing but I count myself being very lucky in the area where I work.
I'm the same,I work hard and I let the others in my area fight over the low cost work.there is a new window firm with four vans and they go so cheap but quite often they lose work and their clients phone me up and get more for the job because I provide a better service and want a decent living.

I'm also lucky I live in a nice area as would hate to live up north,bit like north Korea really.

Like I said I agree with a lot of what you say and it shocks me the amount of cheap labour now about.

Been asked to do this, as its my first commercial job i have no idea how much to say.

Want it doing on a 4 week basis, will be using wfp
Going by that picture and assuming the window/frames are good, I cant see how that would take any longer than 30 minutes from pulling up to diving off (including handing in the invoice & getting paid from the petty cash tin)

Price (over) your current hourly working rate; try to increase your hourly rate with each new job.

Good luck with that. :Image12:

Richard

Since coming on this forum I've learned a bit of some quality people like yourself.

But it's also opened my eyes to what's going on around the country in window cleaning and how cut throat it is.

Someone mentioned expense,well most of the time companies and customers do want the best but also value for money.like I said not going to quote on prices but £25 that's a joke.

Oh and window cleaning both traditional and wfp is a skill and not just about earning a few quid.

All I can say is the trade is only going to get worse if people quoting those prices in commercial.i know for a fact that I've done jobs for my old firm years ago and they charged at least £100 and we would get a good couple of hours if not 3 hours to do it in ,that was several years ago what is going on.
Wfp: both poles & brushes have both speeded window cleaning. Current equipment has got even better. Consider that there are nearly 5 million businesses in the UK and the majority is small business & self employed. Pricing has become more competitive. Just stay at the top of your game and you have little to worry about.

Richard

£30 for 30 mins work.. Can't complain at that..

Charge extortionate prices then expect to be undercut, then come on here and cry someone doley undercut me boo hoo
Exactly Peter, it’s about offering the customers a better service/product coupled with a competitive price. People start to panic when they fall behind the times, and we can all be undercut – you can do nothing about that – but you can take pleasure in the fact that they aren’t making any money. (they think they are) :Image13:

Richard

Am not cheap at all cos that building i would do for 15 quid... someone else thats wfp in my area would probs do that for 10 quid.... to be honest

am not cheap or expensive

am fairly priced..... It depends what area your in for window cleaning prices.... if i was in your area id probs charge a lot more... but in my area am fairly priced

Look at taxis... their cheap some places and expensive some places.... to travel 3 mile in my town it costs 2.50 in london i guess that would cost a lot more

it all depends on what area u live in so end off

it not only taxis either... a haircut is expensive some places and cheap the other.
Forget it/stop thinking about the window cleaner who you think can do it for £10, concentrate more on the window cleaners who will go in with a quote 3 time or more than what you are thinking of charging H – Now just increase your prices to win the work & and raise your profit margins.

Richard

Wfp: both poles & brushes have both speeded window cleaning. Current equipment has got even better. Consider that there are nearly 5 million businesses in the UK and the majority is small business & self employed. Pricing has become more competitive. Just stay at the top of your game and you have little to worry about.
Richard
Thanks for the advice Richard.been traditional for years and wfp for more than 10 but always learning on pricing up commercial work.been self employed for nearly 4 years and if I don't get the job I do not worry.one thing is for sure,am always at the top of my game and do not worry and laying the foundations to build a large cleaning firm one day.just enjoying building the work up nicely and not rushing into expanding.been doing this since a boy but since being on this forum it's shocked me slightly.

Thanks mate.

Your welcome mate, but I know you don’t need me to tell you maintaining customers windows is very quick & very easy.

Good luck with building your business.

Richard

Do they want just glass or frame and glass ? I'd say just glass 40-50 frames and glass 70-80 will use a lot of water doing frames and glass there

Back