Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dealing with automatic doors

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thenewguy

Hello All,

Lurking for about a month, finally now joined - not sure why it took so long? Anyway...

Based just outside of Central London and just starting out early Jan, anyone else near Kingston Upon Thames or surround areas?

Back to my question, I'm getting some practice and trying to get myself out there so asked a friend who is a Manager of a local store if I could do their window for free a few times and then go hand my business card out on that strip. The things is, I am literally stumped as what to do with the automatic doors?

Do I ask them to turn them off when I clean, I need them open for the inside of them? What do you guys do? If I get there early before open I can't get inside?

Such a small thing but it's bugging the life out of me!

Ta, Scott

I live in Kingston mate. Where a outs are you from? Do lots of work round the area also for the doors we usually just ask them to lock them depending on how quiet it is or get there before he shop opens. Majority of places we don't do the insides apart from on request or once every month rather than weekly. Good luck mate and don't go stealing my custies! Lol (joke)

I live in Kingston mate. Where a outs are you from? Do lots of work round the area also for the doors we usually just ask them to lock them depending on how quiet it is or get there before he shop opens. Majority of places we don't do the insides apart from on request or once every month rather than weekly. Good luck mate and don't go stealing my custies! Lol (joke)

Right, thanks, I guess that's all I can do then. I know it sounds silly but just wanted to check I'm not missing anything simple/obv ... Just see how it goes I guess.

@CRM I live in Hampton but was hoping to pick up some custies in Kingston area as more opportunity with all the shops etc. With that said, I phoned a few and they have had the same window cleaner for years, two, I think including an estate agent said they've had the same windy for 11yrs!! Is that you? Jesus.

I'm not in any rush as still work FT, hoping to build a weekend round and take it from there.

Had a delivery yesterday with my trad tools, from WCW all Unger, the basics etc.....was so god dam excited lol my Mrs was looking at me in disgust lol.

Im looking to only do commercial work, are you domestic @CRM ?

Automatic doors nearly always have a switch just above the door so you can temporarily power them down. Un-powered they will still slide easy enough if you need to let people through,..but its still better to do the job when the place is quiet, or before its even open.

Automatic doors nearly always have a switch just above the door so you can temporarily power them down. Un-powered they will still slide easy enough if you need to let people through,..but its still better to do the job when the place is quiet, or before its even open.

Thanks, that would be hand if so...pretty big doors

Thanks, that would be hand if so...pretty big doors
Don't do many commercial in Kingston town centre. It's all pretty much sown up mate sure one guy has had it for years! Mines mostly in kew Putney and new Malden and do domestic in mainly Banstead, richmond Kingston and roehampton area. Commercial only is a hard avenue to go down i would say but don't let that stop you! Why are you not doing any domestic?

Don't do many commercial in Kingston town centre. It's all pretty much sown up mate sure one guy has had it for years! Mines mostly in kew Putney and new Malden and do domestic in mainly Banstead, richmond Kingston and roehampton area. Commercial only is a hard avenue to go down i would say but don't let that stop you! Why are you not doing any domestic?

I guess anywhere, where there is business to be had someone will be taking care of it...

I don't like dealing with the public tbh, I come from sales and marketing background and feel more comfortable dealing with businesses. I plan to actively look for business and that's pretty easy with businesses being able to pick-up the phone. Domestic you only really have two options in the beginning, door knock or flyer hard. I don't fancy door knocking and I don't have the money to flyer consistently and effectively. I can call businesses for free.

I won't say no if there is a domestic opportunity near to future work.

With all this said, I don't even have 1 customer so time will tell haha.

P.S - doesn't sound like I will be stepping on your terf, phew!

Welcome to the forum, it is very helpfull /emoticons/smile.png

Flyers are cheap at vistaprint know some of the other in here do a6 size and get good return of it.

And remeber we all have started with zero custys so just crack on as they say :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, it is very helpfull /emoticons/smile.png
Flyers are cheap at vistaprint know some of the other in here do a6 size and get good return of it.

And remeber we all have started with zero custys so just crack on as they say :thumbsup:
Thanks for the hello, yes it looks to be and actually has been, I purchased Unger products and bought from the WCW because of the posts on here - the power of the Internet ay!

That's my thought process for getting started and finding commercial work...everyone had to start with zero in the very beginning.

Vista print looks pretty good, I'm OK with graphics so might have a play around with some designs.

I know it's going to be slow at the start and I am sh**ing it if I am honest but I just keep telling myself the worst thing that can happen is that I won't find any customers, I will still be alive and then I can go for a pint and pretend it never happened.

Haha.... Doing those automatic doors first week of January so looking forward to it!

Cheers

You will be surprised how many need a windy, if you want a full book of custys i reccommend targeting the residentials, get a solid income and then go for your dream work, that my strategy anyway.

Oh and a great tip sell your self as a personal business atleast to the residential they love it /emoticons/biggrin.png

If you're going to do commercial remember h&s. Get a warning sign or a bucket with one on as you don't want anyone falling, tripping or slipping. In today's suing for anything society it pays to be careful. It also gives good publicity advertising you're h&s conscious and looks professional. Good luck mate.

Back