my story

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Underdog, Oct 9, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Underdog

Underdog Member

hi. been lurking for last few weeks. my short intro is this. i started cleaning windows in 1991 in the school hols for my bro in law at 15. soon as i left school i built up my own rounds. i never really enjoyed it in fact i hated working on windows. all through school i wanted to be a carpenter but the lure of good money steered me into windows. i did windows full time until i was 30 but had a chance to go into carpentry and building work. i was still self employed and built a new business and because i hated windows so much i abandoned rounds that had taken 15 yrs to build. so that was 10 yrs ago.iv still worked cleaning occaisonaly through quiet building periods for my bro in law during last 10 yrs but not regular. well finaly i realised the grass isnt greener and im in the proccess of returning to window cleaning. this time wfp which is new to me. traditional i can still do with my eyes closed but this is a new learning curve for me. iv already learned loads from this forum so thanks for that and look forward to contributing my own little knowledge.
    thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    Advertisement
  2. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Welcome bud
    You started the same year as me
    I reckon itnis possible to trad with eyes closed
    Just point me at the window
    It's all muscle memory..would be automatic

3. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

If you have a creative hand window cleaning can be boring - my old mans a joiner and he would hate cleaning
    But ' where there's muck there's brass'
    Maybe you can do odd building jobs aswell

4. Underdog

Underdog Member

i was lucky to have the abiltiy to do carpentry. it stemmed from hobby carpentry for many yrs while still window cleaning. sub contracting to buidling sites was the final nail in the coffin. just got boring and felt like i was employed even though i was subbing. iv still got some carpentry work to do but my motivation is at an all time low. im enjoying coming back to windows. its been a very hard 5 weeks canvassing but my round is 50% of what my final goal is and at the moment its at 75% of what i need to live if that makes sense. a lot seems to have changed in last 10 yrs. wfp is popular now. back then it was this thing id heard off but knew little about and never actually seen anyone using it. also online banking has transformed collecting. i hated friday evenings collecting. plus i have more time for the family now and dont have to get out of bed at 6.30am

5. mark m

mark m Hero

welcome to the forum underdog I am a plumber by trade , Window cleaning is so much easier less stress ect

6. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Welcome underdog. I fitted windows, doors and built conservatories before window cleaning. It was more challenging and interesting, but come January, February when people don't like coughing up on big investments, it was worrying. Once your round is big enough in w.c, the work is circular and always there. It can get boring, but most people say that about their jobs

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. norm

norm Grand Master

greetings Underdog :thumbsup:

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I love to be doing something creative but now i am back on the windows i can do that in my spare time..
    That's how i got the bug for modding all my equipment
    As for the windows if you have your earphones on and enjoying yourself how can you get bored
    Certainly beats working for a living lol

9. cheapncheerful

er no one want to mention the great views we windies get.....

NO YOU BUNCH OF PERVIES NOT THAT TYPE OF VIEW...me never look any ways honest:whistle:

20140619_113506.jpg

yes I was expecting to step onto a flat roof....

20140611_115032.jpg

yes I have posted that bottom one a long while back and got slated off a blue member in exile but....the key to the house the cake the tea the freedom..could I do it in an hour ...well.yes but I never do ...I seen her once..

some custys you gotta love em....now there are some :ninja: look I didnt put that in there so dont blame me its that bloody tomsk he has hijacked me ..but there are some that er..well I dont clean em so I dont care but..

welcome to the wolf pack underdog...hope you can bark loud...you sound a great guy...

I think we all window cleaners have done other stuff at times I have always done window cleaning and other stuff like paint the double garage door last week when it appears...but ask any tradesmen out there and they all seem great lads to me.....what ever they do and you get...

OH YES i USED TO BE A WINDOWCLEANER..

and peoples live under the misconception that waving a stick and brush at a window is easy peasy.....well how wrong can you be....

still the doggy that liketh to eateth my feeties was too busy skipping about over the new blue pipe and so left me in peace...:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. TolishAPurd

Welcome Underdog, great post. Having other things you can take your hand to will be a great help in the early days whilst building up your round. Best of luck with it all.

Advertisement