Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My work is starting to be Dotted around

SRW

Why work is becoming a bit dotted around

i have planed my weeks work out and it seems like I’m in so mean different areas every day this week and only have like 30 jobs to do 

what do I do stop advertising in different areas and Concentrate where I already have jobs if that makes sense ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
One other way to think is work out the best area and get canvassing/leafletting to build more custy there. Best area could be easiest access type houses, best prices, nicest custy what ever you think is best for you?

I doesn’t matter to much to start with. When your more established, there’ll come I time when you’ll want to stop the spread of your work getting any bigger, and try and make it as compact as possible. Fill in the gaps. 
As above though money is money so just get on with it for the time being ??

You're better travelling to do some work when you're just starting as at least you'll  earn something rather then sitting around doing nothing. You might also find that work in the outlying area is quicker to build and be at better prices. Once you're earning enough to pay your bills then  you can start refining your round.

Ware ever you have a job try canvassing all around it and try to build up more work making half a day hear and there so it’s more cost effective , then over time just dump the odd isolated jobs or triple the prices . 

Having work dotted around can be a blessing, though it might not seem it at the early stages when you're going for just one or two. It's seeds scattered and sown which is quite likely to lead to further customers. Try to capitalise, consolidate and build on these areas now that you're in there as the other guys suggest.

We have about half a dozen satellite pockets in villages and hamlets and a few individuals in between which we pick off on the way through. These are some of our most lucrative clusters and areas.

Depends how far these jobs are apart for me and how much other work you have . When starting up you may have to move your area around slightly till your set, ask your customers if they’re neighbours need a wc or post leaflets. Ive gone to new villages and always landed new jobs within 6months.

Also lost jobs so had to abandon some when they’re not worth going to any more 

I have an area on a map that I cover funnily it’s 15miles one way from my house but I won’t go 5 miles the other as I have nothing else around it and don’t want any more window work outside this area , bigger add on jobs obviously you can travel further afield 

If your short of work I say take it all price it well accommodate for travel time and you’ll be fine 

This happens alot for new guys however it's a good opportunity so see where you get popular or not.

I took an area on the way to my usual area for a custy family member and now picked up 6 on the street and done all fascia/soffits.

You only need 10/15 houses to make it a day, canvass a street or make some engaging leaflet saying we do your neighbors and we can give you a quote of £....

This happens alot for new guys however it's a good opportunity so see where you get popular or not.

I took an area on the way to my usual area for a custy family member and now picked up 6 on the street and done all fascia/soffits.

You only need 10/15 houses to make it a day, canvass a street or make some engaging leaflet saying we do your neighbors and we can give you a quote of £....
Exactly I have one area prob 5 ish villages in 5mile radius about 12 all big houses nearly half a day good paid work despite travel and not too far if word gets round and few more are picked up can turn into one of the best paying days on books 

Why work is becoming a bit dotted around

i have planed my weeks work out and it seems like I’m in so mean different areas every day this week and only have like 30 jobs to do 

what do I do stop advertising in different areas and Concentrate where I already have jobs if that makes sense ? 
Most of us would like a compact round....most of us have not got a compact round though!!

most of my work(over 300 jobs)is in a 3 mile affluent area....ive concentrated on this area for 28 years now...i sold another round in a different area over 10 years ago.....

you need to keep your overall area down to around 10 miles IMO and try and fatten these areas up with more work by canvassing/leafleting either side of the properties you already clean....

i very much doubt you can get the compact nature of my work these days as theres far too much competition these days than back when i started in 1993....BUT you will get more compact runs of work eventually...

I quite like the variety of having pockets of jobs rather than everything in one place. It gives us different types of properties and a breather between some of the bigger ones. It means we get to be in the town and the countryside. It also gives the van a bit of a stretch to properly warm the engine and gearbox and to give the batteries (Three in total. One starter and two HD leisure) a good charge. I suppose it's turning what could be seen as a disadvantage into an advantage.

10 jobs cleaned today in a 3 mile area so a little driving between some jobs.....worked 9am-3pm with 30 mins for lunch and another 15 mins dodging heavy showers so just over 5 hours actually cleaning glass...£300.....im happy with that.....

I quite like the variety of having pockets of jobs rather than everything in one place. It gives us different types of properties and a breather between some of the bigger ones. It means we get to be in the town and the countryside. It also gives the van a bit of a stretch to properly warm the engine and gearbox and to give the batteries (Three in total. One starter and two HD leisure) a good charge. I suppose it's turning what could be seen as a disadvantage into an advantage.
i have pockets of jobs,stand alones and 2 runs of estate work that take 3 to 4 days to clean (each estate)and everything in between.....lots of different types of properties too

Don't worry so much about work being scattered around.  Just focus on building up your customers and as you get more busier, then look at grouping your customers according to their locations.

I cover 4 areas so I had this problem in the early days.

Like others have said when your starting out it's no problem travelling round to get the work. But once you are busier my best advice would be dont be afraid to make new customers wait until your next working in that area. I got in a right muddle with work acouple of years back cos I would be going back to the same area multiple times a month cos whenever I got a new customer I would start cleaning them straight away. I did it cos I thought if a new customer had to wait a couple of weeks then they would find someone else. But 99% of the time they are happy to. I simply explain to them that I can add them to the round and names next in the area on whatever date so will start then. If they want to start sooner I will try and accommodate that for 1st clean but then they will have to slot in on same day as everyone else so my have 2 cleans in quick succession at the start.

Back