Naming laws?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by darius0077, Jan 30, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. darius0077

darius0077 Guest

Does anyone know how to go about naming my buisness? I have come up with a name, and i can not find anyone else on the net who has it!

Advertisement
  2. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

I wouldn't worry about anybody else having the same name unless they are in your target area. Sometimes you see things like "such and such window cleaning" the such and such tends to be persons name / name of area they are working in, etc.... Even things like "A1 Window Cleaning Services" with the A1 being a word like persons initials.... Just do what's right for you - when I named mine I wanted to go for big commercial work etc, and as I have a Renault trafic with Ionic System I went to town to make myself look like a larger company than I am I suppose.. Full livery / ionic logos / Company name and logo / BWCA member, etc.....

3. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

its easy, what name do you want, contact compnay house and buy the ltd name, then no one can use it, unless it is there name ie joe bloggs window cleaning, two people can use this as it is there name but say you want a crystal clear, u can use crystal clear wigan

4. laddergarder

If you are a small business, you don't have to worry about companies house, many company's registered with companies house use different trading names anyway. If there is nobody locally providing a similar service with the same name you will be fine.

5. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

if you use some ones name and they own the ltd name then they can make you change your name, as i did this in a previous business, or they can buy your name and make you change yours, but the ltd name

6. dont start out as a limited company its not the way to go for a small business you will end up with a lot of legal obligations you wouldnt otherwise have as a sole trader. With a sole trader you have complete control of your business no need to have your accounts independantly audited etc just simply register with inland revenue as joe blogs trading as x window cleaning services then no one else can trade legally using that name the key is registering with inland revenue,

7. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

u can buy the ltd name and not trade, as you file returns as non trading it is perfectly legal, u then just file tax returns as a sole trader[hr]
    need to post link so ignore this[hr]

8. Yer, sole trader is much easier. And as long as no one else is using it your well away.

When i sold my last round i let the chap use my logo and name but he he is registered under ClearVue Solutions Window Cleaning.....i get free advertising out of it as the van has all my details still on it :-D

Darius...i can offer you a logo design service if you so wish.

9. even if you are not trading as a ltd company you are obligated to fill in certain forms every year for the inland revenue as a ltd company and if you trade under the ltd company you get hit with corporation taxt as well, if you grow fairly large though and have loads of creditors etc then ltd is the way forward as if the business goes ***s up you are not personally liable for any debts as the when you form a limited company the company itself is recognised as a person or seperate legal en***y in the eyes of the law, there is also more tax breaks available, dividends etc but when starting out defo sole trader.

10. James

James Guru

This is true... however it's completely pointless doing this if in fact:

A: You are a sole trader and have no interest in becoming a Limited company.

B: You wan't to (in some way) protect your company name

or C: If you just wan't to be a small window cleaning business and have no interest in becoming a national cleaning business

For example, I haven't copyrighted my logo for £50 because there is just no point at the moment, however, if I wanted to expand in the future (and become a national limited company) I may wan't to do this.

Advertisement