Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need help - windows won't clean of muck

Ednic

Hi,

I've got two customers next to each other down a narrow alley. That alley has had a lot of work done on the concrete floor for the last 10 weeks, very close to my customer's front windows. I haven't cleaned them since before work was being done. Their windows are hydrophobic and the grit/dust from the work has left their windows looking terrible. I can't brush them clean however hard I brush and however much water I use. I told the customers I'll be back to have a go with the squeegee but not sure if that'll do it. I think the grit might have bonded chemically with the glass. Any thoughts/suggestions of what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

20210604_161522.jpg

Hi,

I've got two customers next to each other down a narrow alley. That alley has had a lot of work done on the concrete floor for the last 10 weeks, very close to my customer's front windows. I haven't cleaned them since before work was being done. Their windows are hydrophobic and the grit/dust from the work has left their windows looking terrible. I can't brush them clean however hard I brush and however much water I use. I told the customers I'll be back to have a go with the squeegee but not sure if that'll do it. I think the grit might have bonded chemically with the glass. Any thoughts/suggestions of what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

View attachment 24905
If you have access to a hose rinse them off with good flow.

Hot water in a bucket or TFR and give them a good soaping up and then wfp them after May restore them

Just be very cautious of grit on the glass to avoid scratches

Builders clean surely? The responsibility of them to take the time, effort and risk to clean it and to take the responsibility if they get scratched.

Could be cement dust stuck on the glass ???
I think that's it. Customer said he was getting some of it off with just rubbing a cloth with washing up liquid. I think I'll rub with a cloth, wash it all down with tap water from my hose then wfp it. 

I think that's it. Customer said he was getting some of it off with just rubbing a cloth with washing up liquid. I think I'll rub with a cloth, wash it all down with tap water from my hose then wfp it. 
A scraper should remove it ok but scrape in one direction and on wet glass 

Surely this is the responsability of the people that have done the concrete work!!

I had a customer few weeks ago that had new patio laid, cement all over the french doors, wouldnt come off by normal technique, customer messaged me to say "you didnt fully clean the windows" i pointed out that the cement was the respobsability of the landscapers and that scrapping it off could cause damage to the glass, and i dont do builders cleans, theyre taking it up with the other company and im still their windy ?

There was a twist in the story. The terrible windows were down to both my neighboring customers having their walls treated (nothing to do with the cement work from the floor). Needed to rub it off with white spirit. In a nice way I told my customer I'd prefer to not do it and that she should get in touch with the blokes who did the walls and left such a mess on the windows. She did that and bloke who treated the walls didn't seem too happy.

Same old story traders making mess and not cleaning up after there self blady annoying i had to park homes that had walls treated with a sealer it stained the glass i said get them back to clean it as i dont no what they used tryed unger rub out did not tuch it so gave up windows are buggered now and they wont call the trader who caused it ?‍♂️

Yeah, I agree. Down to the eejit who put it on there to remove it. In my case, my mission is to give the windows a very thorough wash with wfp, nothing more. No cloths or hand scrubbing involved.
Sometimes ill use a bit of soapmix on a first wash if they are really filthy. Mostly I don't use any chemicals at all just a good scrub to get them nice and make it quicker and easier for me on the maintenance washes.

Edit : Sorry, I just looked back along this discussion and realised I'd already given my tuppence worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back