need help with squeegee

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by chris, Apr 7, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. chris

chris Member

Ive been looking at the forum on and of for a while now and would like to start myself.

i have bought a squeegee from homebase and am practicing on my windows. i must have the cleanest windows on my street apart from the streaks :(

are there any videos anyone can recommend to me? Ive been looking on youtube and I'm trying to do what they do but I'm doing something wrong:(

i bought an unger pro squeegee

Advertisement
  2. Paul

Paul Guest

You could be using a bot to much detergent mate

3. simon

simon Guru

yeh try less soap, also practice with both hands, but really its just practice just stand in front of 1 window soap and clean, right hand , left hand

4. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

You will find not every window you will do the same technique. Give the rubber a wipe every now n again. Try not to lift squeegee off the glass until you are ready to Scrim, if you miss a bit just go back up for it.

I have never used an unger pro, getting pissed off with unger squeegee to be honest. But did you get the channel clips for the rubber?

If your constantly leaving lines then flip the rubber round or try a new 1.

It takes a while to get the hang of it but keep at it

5. Paul

Paul Guest

I have unger pro and they seem fine but as bc said it takes time just keep practicing, are you soaping the window and just squeegeeing straight off or are you wiping the edge first? I wipe first just to stop the water dragging. [hr]
    Oh and take your time speed will come with experience.

6. chris

chris Member

thanks for the quick replies.

im going to try less soap. ive been soaping the windows then going round teh edge with the squeegee to get a dry edge then doing the rest of the window. going to keep at it.

i havent got the clips i have just used it how it came. what do the clips do and what are the benifits or hard and soft rubber?

7. Paul

Paul Guest

I dry the top and left edge with a cloth just stops water dragging[hr]
    The clips keep your rubber in place and I find softer rubber help the squeegee move more, hard rubber can be quite bouncy on the glass

8. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

Carry an old towel, use this to go round the frames and edges, using your squeegee could nick the edge of the rubber and that will leave you lines. I also use this towel for the bottom on the frame helps keep scrim dry and for wiping sills too

The clips are for holding the rubber tight and in place, I'm not sure the pro needs them? I just googled a pic, maybe paulrods could say?

Not sure on benefits of hard or soft, I read hard works better in high temperatures? I always use soft, either unger or ettore whatever the shop has.

9. chris

chris Member

thanks for the help guys. been using a microfiber cloth to wipe the edges and less soap and its starting to look a lot better then it did. still going to work on it more though =)

10. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Chris...get yourself an SPC 3 X 4. Its an excellent squeegee with interchangable blades. It made a massive difference for me. I previously used the Unger Ninja...it just doesnt compare!

Advertisement