Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pressure Washer Advice?

HotWash Window Cleaners

Hi I am looking to buy a decent pressure and there are an amazing amount to choose from. What do you have?

Is it any good?

Now would you buy a power pole 36 or get an add on for Hxtel 35 for power washing, the type you remove top section?

Petrol powered or is it possible to run off an inverter?

I'm looking for gutter cleaning and cladding use from the equipment.

why would you want a powerwasher just for gutter and cladding cleaning, it wouldnt be worth the trouble imo

I've not tried doing anything higher than 2 storey work using a pressure washer telescopic lance myself. To be honest I did not get on with it at that height so went back to cleaning the outside of guttering, fascia, soffit and cladding by wfp method or by hand

If you try to use one to clear badly blocked guttering without getting most of the debris out first you will find it makes a hell of a mess too.

Also would add If you going to get a pressure washer anyway I would get one that is powerful enough to do hard surface cleaning aswell that you can also adjust the psi for different surfaces you want to clean.

More for the inside of the gutter really. As sometimes can't quite clear them 100%. I sometimes use an agitator on the end of the pole to remove debris but if it is tight I can't do it how I would be happy with. Do you use a gutter vac or off ladders?

You sound like you have already found out that using a guttevac is not all what they are cracked up to be. They can be a doddle to use on some jobs but are a nightmare to use on most jobs I do.

To be honest if the gap is narrow then you can't beat a good hand job I say. If the guttering is badly blocked with sods especially in corners then I will clear the guttering by hand also.

I guess you could use any type of pressure washer to flush gutters through even a hose pipe connected to a wfp.that I sometimes use after clearing the guttering out. That way you can do what I call a water test to see if any joints are leaking also will get rid of small bits and tile grit you have missed.

If you want to try and break up/remove large sods etc using a pressure washer then I would have thought this type of attachment you could probably get made with a better pressure washer using a higher psi would do the job but like I said before will make a hell of a mess /emoticons/biggrin.png

View attachment 1911

you can then use your pressure washer to clean all the **** it has left behind. all over the house walls, and exterior of there nice white gutters

This year I have picked up a few gutter cleans because there are a few guys out there doing cleans with jet washes and it takes the shine off the plastic. I've tried all sorts and smurfs right by hand is about the best way! While your up there quick spray of plastic reviving spray puts a good shine on, stops muck sticking & green growing so quick and I've got 13 booked for next year, January 2014 shouldn't bea quite month!! GF

Funny you should say that gushysfella I too have picked up loads of work as most customers I clear and clean gutters for don't like the idea of pressure washers being used on their homes for some reason. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong using a pressure washer with an extendable lance is probably a lot quicker to do but also adds cost to the job like fuel + setup/packing away time. Not forgeting extra time required to clean the outside of gutters, fascias, walls, windows and their clean driveway, patio, car etc when a customer just wants their guttering cleared out and nothing else cleaned. /emoticons/biggrin.png

This year I have picked up a few gutter cleans because there are a few guys out there doing cleans with jet washes and it takes the shine off the plastic. I've tried all sorts and smurfs right by hand is about the best way! While your up there quick spray of plastic reviving spray puts a good shine on, stops muck sticking & green growing so quick and I've got 13 booked for next year, January 2014 shouldn't bea quite month!! GF

For example hotwash I popped out this morning and cleared the guttering only on this pair of small semi's by hand for £45 each = £90. Also one-off window clean on both £20 each = £40

Took me less than 2.5 hours to do properley and earned myself an easy £130. /emoticons/smile.png

View attachment 1913

Both front and back gutter runs looked like this before

View attachment 1915

Back after

View attachment 1914

Front after

View attachment 1916

Think I will have to get the roof rack and carry the ladders with me. I like the micro lite standoff and the ladder support. Do you have a trained camera man? As great pics. The advice has sold me on old school gutter cleaning. Many thanks.

You're very welcome hotwash and yes I would strongly recommend for added safety you get an ankalad fixed to your ladders & microlite stand-off.

For me I started off first clearing gutters like so many with a guttervac thinking what a great idea as you don't have to use ladders. However I soon learnt very quickly that some jobs I needed to use ladders aswell hence why now I always carry that ladder setup with me on the van.

I'm no professional camera man but thanks anyway /emoticons/biggrin.png

Pics were taken using my old battered and abused canon g7 like this one

3800-3.jpg

Think I will have to get the roof rack and carry the ladders with me. I like the micro lite standoff and the ladder support. Do you have a trained camera man? As great pics. The advice has sold me on old school gutter cleaning. Many thanks.

smurf, can you describe how the microlite actually works, the wheels on it put me off enquireing about them.

i just use the triple extension ladders with a stand off fixed, can these microlites not damage the plastic gutters by your weight when resting at the top of your ladder. what stops them from moving on roof. if they are a lot safer than the standoff i will defo look into buying one.

Good question Johnny, I too did not like the idea of wheels on a stand-off.

The microlite stand-off is the only class one stand-off I know of and they happen to use D wheels. Meaning the outer rubber is round but when you put pressure (body weight) onto the wheels using the ladder thay have a square inner block so flattens into a D shape onto the surface for added grip.

Hope this helps?

Microlite D Wheels

tbdavies-ladders-accessories-ultimate-stand-off.jpg

smurf, can you describe how the microlite actually works, the wheels on it put me off enquireing about them.i just use the triple extension ladders with a stand off fixed, can these microlites not damage the plastic gutters by your weight when resting at the top of your ladder. what stops them from moving on roof. if they are a lot safer than the standoff i will defo look into buying one.

I would never powerwash out the inside off gutters unless im cleaning the roof anyway, as im having too wash down then anyway, nah like lads say, hand job all the way!!!

Hi Smurf what ladders do you use? , also where did you buy your microlite stanoff ankalad from?

Does the ankalad stay fixed to the ladder or do you have the pain removing it after each job.

Cheers

I use 12 rung 7.58 m triple combi ladder from a company on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-12-Rung-Combi-Combination-Extension-Triple-Treble-3-Section-Multi-Step-Ladder-/310350003712?pt=UK_H_G_Ladders_RL&var=&hash=item48424d3e00

To be honest you don't need a combi ladder but I bought one anyway as thought would come in handy for my tree in my back garden. I find the straps are bloody anoying so in hindsight for gutter work just a normal triple ladder like this one would have been much better. I do like the bar at the bottom of the ladder that comes standard too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-58m-3-Section-Extension-Ladder-Next-Day-Delivery-/330575214014?pt=UK_H_G_Ladders_RL&hash=item4cf7d175be

Both the ankalad & microlite stand-off i got used in good condition from ebay but if you want to buy new here are some links

Ankalad - read the info as will answer any questions you have about the product http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/stabiliser.shtml

Microlite Stand-off http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/shop/index.php?option=com_aceshop&route=product/product&path=16&product_id=971

Hi Smurf what ladders do you use? , also where did you buy your microlite stanoff ankalad from?

Does the ankalad stay fixed to the ladder or do you have the pain removing it after each job.
Cheers
I do Johnny

More like "well missus that's going to be a hand job as looks to me your gap is too small for me to get my pole in" /emoticons/biggrin.png

who dares say to a female customer wanting her gutters cleaning, would you like hand jobstarting to stray away now. goodnight.

No problem Mike.

I know lads I do go on about the ankalad and microlite stand-off on this forum but is the safest way I've found to clear guttering using ladders.

If I can help save just one life or someone from getting badly injured clearing guttering then in my book it's worth it. /emoticons/smile.png

keep safe chaps /emoticons/wink.png

Back